Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • More good news for Derby – close run thing though
  • sacktwist
    Free Member
    alcolepone
    Free Member

any images of the designs?

jedimaster
    Free Member

sweet!

iain1775
    Free Member

Excellent news and I’m very happy tonight
    Having been involved as a young engineer on a year out from uni with cleaning up and building the first roads into pride park I know the site well and even sent plenty of nasty contaminated ground (and a WW2 bomb, later diffused!) to the area that is now part of the nature reserve
    To read objections from people in the Home Counties for example, spurred on by Chris Packham, based on this apparently being a “greenfield nature site” really annoyed me, the only reason it was designated a reserve was because it was the one small corner of the wider development area that at the time could not be developed for any other use, any designation was always temporary and that’s also why they built a park and ride site there, as it couldn’t be used for offices etc
    To build a cycle track around the perimeter, whilst leaving 80% of the reserve intact and not disturbing the waste area or bentonite slurry wall is ideal to support the adjacent velodrome development and the council have bent over backwards to amend the design to compromise with the wildlife lobby as much as possible
    There was a very organised campaign against this from several nature bodies. Fair play they have the power to do so, but not one offered any real evidence as to how the wildlife could not co-exist with cyclists around the boundary of the reserve
    Can’t wait to head down there with my 3 yo daughter for some bike skills training in a safe environment

iain1775
    Free Member

Alcolepone
    If you google derby city planning portal then search for pride park the first result should be the planning app
    Few drawings of the road circuit on there although details of the MTb bit are a bit vague,I’m led to believe there will be a small pump/jump track and a short skills area with berms, small drops etc, (along the lines of Hicks Lodge type stuff for example) won’t be anything to write home about for the average STW person but ideal for coaching etc which is its main purpose after all
    Given the space available cant see the MTb bit being anything like Manchester or London velodrome options but the road course should be decent

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Brilliant 15 min walk from my work and 25 min walk from my house. Just need to make sure the skills area is decent!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Good news. Looking forward to it. Though calling it a nature reserve is a bit of a stretch….well a lot of a stretch really.

Marmoset
    Free Member

I recognise that area from when I worked down there 15 years ago, if youd have told me it would be a designated “nature reserve” several years later I’m not sure I’d have taken you seriously….

alcolepone
    Free Member
    fr0sty125
    Free Member

Now we just need to make sure the skills area has the right features.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘More good news for Derby – close run thing though’ is closed to new replies.