Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • More durable rock razor alternative?
  • cookci
    Free Member

Finding after a year of riding there is barely square inch on my rock razor which hasnt puntured and sealed with the tubeless sealant.

Also some of the larger cuts/repairs are starting to bulge which look concerning.

Overall it hasnt done too bad however it has left my stranded twice

Are any of the alternatives more durable for rocky terrain?

Thanks

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Maxxis Larsen?

jamesfts
    Free Member

What casing RR is it, If you’re not already using it Super Gravity RR could be an option?

Do they do a dual ply Minion SS?

chiefgrooveguru

They do a Double Defence Minion SS which should be tougher than a Super Gravity tyre but is lighter than a DH version.

stevied
    Free Member

Do they do a dual ply Minion SS?

Yes they do but only 27.5 x 2.5″ (1335g’s 😯 )

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Mrs M has the SG RR version on her ebike and is yet to puncture that.

Stupid, stupid Ming, why did you say that……

sofaboy73
    Free Member

I find schwable snakeskin tyres very fragile if you’re riding on lots of rock. not so much the sidewalls, but getting punctures that won’t seal on the cap of the tyre, the inevitable flat then often trashing the bead and making it useless for tubless. fwiw I’ve moved to maxxis exo tyres and not had an issue on the same trails in 6 months, in which time I would of inevitably trashed one or two schwable tyres

BadlyWiredDog

As someone’s already said above, if you’ve just been using the standard Snakeskin Rock Razor, give the Super Gravity version a go. You can feel the extra weight and lose a little zip, but it’s pretty tough ime.

If you’re consistently trashing the SG then you probably need some sort of dual ply, full downhill set-up…

SirHC

Specialized slaughter grid is a little tougher than the exo minion SS, the double down version should be pretty similar (comparing weights). I tried a rock razor, found you had to really lean the bike over to find the side knobbles, minion/slaughter side knobs engage a lot earlier.

cookci
    Free Member

minion ss 29″ silkworm from a bit a googling should be around 820grams right?

My rock razor is the none supergravity but isn’t the supergravity heavier than then minion?

looks like the Schwalbe tyres are completely changing next year!

Schwalbe Unveils New ADDIX Rubber Compound

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

WTB Trail boss in tough/fast casing.

chakaping
    Free Member

My rock razor is the none supergravity but isn’t the supergravity heavier than then minion?

Well it’s probably heavier than some Minions and lighter than others.

It’s clearly the tyre you need though! The low profile more than makes up for the extra weight and you won’t get flats anymore.

Drop me a line if you’re interested in a used 650b version to try it out.

cookci
    Free Member

WTB trial boss looks like a completely different type of tyre however I really like the look of it and the reviews read well

i think its a toss up between the minion ss and trail boss so far for me

not sure I’m sold on using another rock razor even in a different casing

chakaping i’m running a 29er 🙁

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

WTB trial boss looks like a completely different type of tyre however I really like the look of it and the reviews read well

Aye, but it does a similar job, it’s fast and predictable, and provides a wee bit more braking/climbing traction than the SS type tyres.

mactheknife

Yep i am really impressed with the trail boss i have on my big bike. The 2.25 came up stupidly narrow so i ordered a 2.4 for £28 from CRC. So far i am very very impressed. So much better rolling that my older DHR2 and in current conditions grip galore.

Ace tyre! Infact i am ordering a spare at this price.

BadlyWiredDog

not sure I’m sold on using another rock razor even in a different casing

The SG version is a different animal, but if you don’t like the way the tyre performs, then fair enough. I’ve used a Trail Boss too and it’s nowhere near as quick as the Rock Razor ime and doesn’t the the same edge grip.

If the only thing putting you off the Rock Razor is the fragile Snakeskin casing, then all you need to do is switch to the Super Gravity, honest gov… I’m not a big Schwalbe fan generally, but the Rock Razor really is good.

trusty

The supergravity RR is a great tyre, the carcass on mine is fine despite having been on 2 wheels I’ve pringled due to being over enthusiastic 😳 longevity is a problem with the trailstar compound though as it does wear quite quickly. I’ll be interested to see how the new schwable compounds and Apex carcass look

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘More durable rock razor alternative?’ is closed to new replies.