Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • More cycling idiocy.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

It’s not just car drivers…

Wednesday evening cycling home on the commute down CS7. Moved to the right at the head of a line of other cyclists to go straight on after the lights by The Oval underground station (Lahndahn, sarf) and just as I got to the traffic island at my left hand side, Strava-racey type roadie on a fast looking bike tries to jam in front of me between me and the traffic island.

Not being in the mood to accommodate, I just kept going the extra two or so feet to prevent him doing that.

He emitted what I took to be a snort of derision, possibly due to me being on my ancient 2001 Spesh Stumpy (road bike temporarily awaiting replacement part), not a lean mean machine like his own.

Hate that stuff. It’s just rude, apart from anything else.

wwaswas

It’s not just car drivers…

No, it’s people.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Regularly see idiots cycle the wrong way down St Martin Le Grand – it’s a 4 lane one way street. Pure Darwinism in action

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Dobbo

He’s on a road bike on the road, you should give him priority.

DezB
    Free Member

Did you burn him away from the lights?

scaredypants

He’s on a road bike on the road, you should give him priority.

Only if he pays tax on it

brakes
    Free Member

It’s just rude

welcome to London.

wwaswas

Did you burn him away from the lights?

[on mobile phone answer]

Seems a bit harsh.

[/on mobile phone answer]

Dobbo

Only if he pays tax on it

MTB’s on the road should be taxed due to wear from the knobbley wide tyres, road bikes produce little or no wear to tarmac.

maccyb
    Free Member

It is frustrating getting stuck at the lights behind fellow cyclists who move off at a snail’s pace – especially if they’ve pushed to the front in order to do so (not saying that’s what’s happened here…)

Does give rise to a safety question though – if it’s safer to get away from the lights quickly while the junction is clear (particularly before vehicles turning left) should the mass of cyclists on a busy bike lane move in a bunch at the speed of the slowest or allow the faster-accelerating to go ahead?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I think just not riding like a c**t covers it.

njee20
    Free Member

CS7 is a frustrating place to ride if you’re reasonably quick – there are so many **** desperately pushing to the front at every set of lights, only to wobble off at 2mph whilst staring at their pedals trying to clip in (not suggesting that’s you OP).

Doesn’t excuse him being a bell end, but why did you feel the need to close a gap he could have occupied? Is that not a bit like the motorway lane closure scenario – you moved over to stop someone using the empty lane because you’d already changed?

Gary_M
    Free Member

It is frustrating getting stuck at the lights behind fellow cyclists who move off at a snail’s pace

If there’s another cyclist at the front of the lights I generally stay in the line of traffic. I don’t like it when people encroach on my space so I extend the courtesy to others. I don’t encounter that many other cyclists on my commute though. I don’t get frustrated by it though, other cyclists, slow or fast, have as much right to be there as me.

chewkw
    Free Member

There are some cyclists here in GeordieLand that just ride through four lanes (traffics from both sides) via pedestrian crossing to beat the red light. For whatever reasons I am always waiting to hear metal being crushed or head that goes pop … 🙄

njee20
    Free Member

If there’s another cyclist at the front of the lights I generally stay in the line of traffic. I don’t like it when people encroach on my space so I extend the courtesy to others. I don’t encounter that many other cyclists on my commute though. I don’t get frustrated by it though, other cyclists, slow or fast, have as much right to be there as me.

I don’t disagree, but CS7 has about 80 sets of traffic lights (always lost count) in less than 10 miles, and there can regularly be up to 50 cyclists waiting at each set of lights.

As long as people self police and employ some common sense it’s fine – what usually happens is that you get a pretty neat hierarchy with slowest by the kerb, fastest nearer the middle. Then some pillock with huge headphones will wobble in front of everyone, attempting to trackstand, which actually means riding at 0.5mph, whereby he’ll end up sideways on blocking about 10 riders when the lights change.

maccyb
    Free Member

I don’t get frustrated by it though, other cyclists, slow or fast, have as much right to be there as me.

It’s frustrating in that it genuinely impedes, not like cars in the city where everyone’s pretty much limited to the same speed, and it’s thoughtless to unnecessarily obstruct others who could otherwise be making their way at the speed they prefer. Not saying other cyclists shouldn’t be on the road at all – the more the merrier – but they should be considerate. But they’re we’re only human, so meh, what can you expect?

People who walk slowly on busy pavements are no better 😉

njee20
    Free Member

People who walk slowly on busy pavements are no better

Couldn’t agree more. Idiots, the lot of them.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Doesn’t excuse him being a bell end, but why did you feel the need to close a gap he could have occupied?

The attempt to make me brake so he could barge in.

njee20
    Free Member

The attempt to make me brake so he could barge in.

I obviously wasn’t there, and I’m sure he was a cockwomble, but surely you’ll always have to brake sooner if someone moves in front of you, they’re not occupying the space you would have done previously…?

brakes
    Free Member

it was you wasn’t it njee?

brakes
    Free Member

some pillock with huge headphones will wobble in front of everyone, attempting to trackstand, which actually means riding at 0.5mph, whereby he’ll end up sideways on blocking about 10 riders when the lights change.

I hate this – they’re often on a Boris Bike and think because they’re dong 120 rpm they’re going fast when they’re actually doing about 12mph.
    I like to tell such people that they’re dicks; but I’m an angry commuter.

njee20
    Free Member

it was you wasn’t it njee?

Errr 😳

Nah, it wasn’t! Luckily I’ve not had cause to go near CS7 for about 8 months!

seavers
    Free Member

Today, as I was driving along through Leeds I saw cyclist in the cycling lane on my side of the road. Only she was coming right at me. I didn’t realise we could go both ways.

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve seen people doing that in bus lanes…

chambord
    Free Member

I don’t understand cyclists that stop for the red lights, attempt to trackstand, which they can’t do and end up in the middle of the crossing, and then ride off through the red light anyway. Funny old bunch these cyclists.

footflaps

I don’t understand cyclists that stop for the red lights

Agreed. Why on earth stop?

nickc

Not being in the mood to accommodate… It’s just rude, apart from anything else.

So, you were belligerent, he; bellicose

Sounds a perfect London evening on the delightful traffic free roads

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t understand cyclists that stop for the red lights, attempt to trackstand, which they can’t do and end up in the middle of the crossing, and then ride off through the red light anyway. Funny old bunch these cyclists.

Haha, yes, it is amazing, it’s like they’ve made a cursory effort, so then it’s ok. You have to look really nonchalant while you do it too, in a “pfft, I wanted to RLJ anyway”.

I once had a chap on CS7 who was ever so slightly slower than me and a couple of others around me, clearly he was so desperate to get ahead that at a red light he did a full on cyclocross running dismount, ran across the junction (in the road) leapt back on the other side and rode off. Cue much bemused laughter.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘More cycling idiocy.’ is closed to new replies.