Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • More CX bike ponderings
  • crosshair
    Free Member

So, the way things are going, I’m heading towards doing around 10 CX races a year. I currently do them as XC race training so don’t mind racing on my Scott Spark.
    However…. it is a bit of a beast and I can’t help feeling that as I get a bit fitter, I might enjoy it a tad more on a CX bike.

I really like the CAADX 105 and have been close several times to pushing the button.

I’ve now noticed though, that I could get a 2014 Boardman CX Comp for £450 which would mean I could buy it rather than financing it.

So does anyone race one?
    Would I be better off on it than I am now racing my 14kg Spark?
    What are they like in general?

Otherwise, what else could I get for about £1k on 0% or is the CAADX a good choice?

It’s not for commuting, much road riding or anything else really- just CX training and racing.

JoB
    Free Member

you won’t go wrong at all with the CAADX, it’s a great bike for the money and a better spec for racing, if you can afford it finally push that button

mrblobby
    Free Member

You seen the CAADX Force, bit more cash but you do get proper hydros.

You looking in Pedal On? Giant and the Trek also probably worth swinging a leg over.

Also worth popping into the Concept Store in Newbury. Don’t really care for the brand but I really liked the Crux, super fun to ride. Shame the off the peg builds aren’t doing it for me this year and frame only looks a poor deal.

Think I’ll wait till later in the year. Very interested in seeing what this Bowman is like.

crosshair
    Free Member

@Mrblobby Is that the CAADX Rival? Looks good other than the colour scheme.

Crux seems overpriced in comparison, probably a nicer/lighter frame I suppose? Sora spec for £1200. My Triban has full Sora for 1/3 of that money 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sorry yes meant the Rival. Crux doesn’t seem the best VFM but it is a fantastic ride.

Definitely seems a gap in the market for a reasonably priced alu framed proper racing cross bike. It’s what I’m hoping for from the Bowman.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Hi Crossy.

I’ve just taken delivery of Dolan cdx. (Specced it with 46cm handlebars and 8cm stem btw)

Blown away, simply blown away!

first new off road bike in years, God I love it already. Just back from an hour of muddy, after dark awesomeness.

mrblobby
    Free Member

What group did you get on that? They don’t seem to offer a hydro brake option. Shame they don’t seem to do it frame only either.

crosshair
    Free Member

Awesome! Well done mate 🙂 I like the look of that.
    Is it singlespeed too ?? 😉 😀

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Look at the NEW merida for £1k great bike for the money and light too.

ackie
    Free Member

The Merida does look VFM, 105 5800 and the frame is meant to be very very good. On top of that it got a full carbon tapered fork with 15mm through axle! Anyone got one?

markskinner
    Free Member

How does the Cube Cross Race measure up?
    Trying to decide between the merida, Caadx, cube, or just going with the pinnacle arkose 3

ackie
    Free Member

I’m looking at a CX commuter too. So far I’ve tried a Cube Cross Race Pro and a Canyon Inflite 9.0 . Both had the Hydraulic Shimano Brakes, which are amazing!!! Ive never tried mechanical discs but these Hydraulic are very very good especially if you’ve come from a MTB background, great modulation and they just stop the bike 😉

The Cube race Pro was heavier than the Canyon but still rode nice and solid.
    The Canyon felt and looked the slickest of the two though.

FYI I’m 6’1″ and both the Canyon Large and Cube 56cm fitted me well.

I’m trying a 58 Cm Specilized Crux Sport E5 next week (although noticed it hasn’t got mudguard mounts).
    The geometry is similar to the Merida Cyclocross 500 which I haven’t seen anywhere to get a test ride on. I hope this helps….

mikey74
    Free Member

Edit: Ignore me.

theotherjonv

How can you get the Boardman for £450? I know they have 15% off currently = £510, and normally BC gets you 10% too, but I was told I couldn’t stack that discount?

sbtouring
    Free Member

You may find that you need a smaller chainring for cx racing if you got the Boardman CX Comp, 50t chainring is a bit big for cx racing , a 44 or 46t would be better.

kilo

Mrs has the boardman and a friend has the cannondale. The boardmans are nice but heavy (she has just said “…heavy as a b**tard.”)even with a wheel change for better quality ones. That said she has raced cx and done long days of road on it quite happily- all the components on it have worked well. But the more she enjoys cx’ing the more she has been thinking of an upgrade. The cannondale seems a nicer bike, lighter but obvioulsy more money.

cp

How can you get the Boardman for £450? I know they have 15% off currently = £510, and normally BC gets you 10% too, but I was told I couldn’t stack that discount?

You CAN stack the bc discount at halfords, it specifically says in their terms. If you’re buying online for store collection, the bike does need to be in stock at that store and you have to select reserve online/pay in store for it to work.

It doesn’t work on pay online and deliver to store.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Why does every thread asking for CX race bike recommendations descend into discussion about mudguard mounts and stacking discounts at halfords. The brief was for a race bike. Apologies for the grumpiness, I’m out of coffee 🙁

crosshair
    Free Member

Well, very nearly down to £450 as I think you can stack discounts as described ^^

I picked up a Cannondale the other week and was surprised how heavy it was actually. The last Boardman I picked up didn’t feel a lot worse.

Still not sure what to do. I don’t go in for the whole upgrade thing, I like to just buy and ride until stuff wears out so one of the £1000/£1200 options may make more sense.

crosshair
    Free Member

@mrblobby I like the line “I’m looking for a CX commuter too” 😉

vdubber67
    Free Member

Planet X XLS are great bikes at that price bracket….(the 1k bracket!)

theotherjonv

I went into a store yesterday, and the guy there said I couldn’t because there’s an asterix on the sale card saying not valid with other vouchers or offers. Where in the t&c is the bit about stacking?

markskinner
    Free Member

RE the planet X XLS:
    How does SRAM Rival compare to the 105 5800?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Theotherjonv, I believe buy online for store pickup is the usual advice for stacking the discounts.

IdleJon

I bought a CAADX last year just before the race season. I used it for 6 races in the Welsh League, commuting a few times and plenty of ‘just riding’. So far I’ve ridden about 900km on it, I think, since September.

I love it. Very competent off-road and it feels rather like a CAAD4 road bike I owned years ago when on road. I’ve said (on Grit CX) that if the entry level CAADX feels this good, I’d love to know how good the expensive ones feel…

I can’t compare it to the others you’ve mentioned though as I haven’t ridden them. Compared to my old 2001 Kona Jake it feels like the difference between a tourer and a race bike. (With the Jake being the tourer!)

mrblobby
    Free Member

CAADX definitely worth a look, sounds suitably racey. Might pop down to PedalOn though may come away with a Super X!

Anyone know of anything like the caadx but frame only and a reasonable price (around 600 quid)…?

weeksy

14kg, not having it mate. That spark is a light thing for what it is.

I think you’d not notice a massive difference in all honesty.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I missed the 14kg bit, surely not?

crosshair
    Free Member

Book weight is 12.5. When I weighed it with tool pouch and water bottle on the bathroom scales it went closer to 15.

theotherjonv

I guess you mean order online for store pickup?

weeksy

What’s in the sodding tool pouch ? IS it really worth having one on for a CX race ? Surely if you need to fix something etc the race is already over.

You can’t say it weighs 14kg with water and tools, everyone has to carry water and tools etc, so saying “my bike is 3kg heavier than XZT, no it’s only 1…. but you’ve added weight to it.

theotherjonv

Right just spoke to halfords customer services, and appears they changed their conditions on Jan 26th. BC website still says that the 10% discount applies even on sale items, halfords now say it isn’t valid on sales items, you can either have the sales price or the BC 10% off the rrp.

So the Boardman is £510, not £460.

crosshair
    Free Member

Just weighed it ‘naked’ and its 13kg on my scales. Still more than enough to be hefting over barriers and up run-ups 😉

weeksy

What’s the Boardman or cad ?

What if you bought lighter wheels and CX rubber?

marko75
    Free Member

I am thinking on selling my Boardman cx bike (large) with v twin brakes…. if anyone lives in the MK area let me know and you can get a test ride…..

crosshair
    Free Member

I don’t know to be honest. I wish BTwin made a CX bike, my Triban is under 10kg 😉

The money it would cost me for lighter wheels would be far better spent as a deposit on something proper. I suppose it’s as much a question of commitment- keep thinking of it as XC training or try and be more competitive.

Anyone got a Boardman they can weigh?

The CAADX in MountainTrax felt about 12kg!!!

weeksy

CH I’m over mk way on Wed and Sund.

crosshair
    Free Member

Nah thanks, I’d rather buy new.

crosshair
    Free Member

A quick Google puts a Sora spec CAADX at 10.2kg out of the box (54cm) or 9.5kg for the Ultegra one (54cm).

weeksy

Hire/borrow one for a race and see if any improvements?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘More CX bike ponderings’ is closed to new replies.