Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • More Car questions – family hatches – opinions.
  • carbon337
    Free Member

Ford Focus 1.0 (100hp or 125) probably Edge no BT @ 16.5k
    VW Golf S 1.2 TFSI (No alloys at 19K) Nice DAB stereo is a positive inc BT
    Honda Civic 1.4 VTEC 100hp SE – plenty of toys but no BT @ 17k + 3yrs free servicing.

Looking at these 3, something cheap to run but the main priority is longetivity and reliability. No to a diesel as ive had enough bother with them and we only do about 7k miles a year. Mainly for the Mrs, my 2 yr old to use 4 days a week to do 20miles a day. I will use it once a week to do a 70m round trip.

Want a 5 door, cheap tax, cheap insurance. Love my old Honda civic and thats never missed a beat so im a bit biased to the civic. Quite fancy good resale value and all 3 seem to offer that but VW wins. Honda has most luggage space and with possability of no2 baby joing in not to distant future this could be handy. Civic also has those handy seats for taking my road bike inside the car to road races.

We’re talking bottom end of the range stuff here, so no old Audis, Mercs or Diesel Skodas. I never want to hear about DPF, EGR, DMF and swirl flaps again in my life. Speed is no longer important to me. Gone of the days of
    flying about. Im capatin slow and monitor the MPGs.

unovolo
    Free Member

Have you considered the new KIA Ceed ,it does get pretty good reviews is a nice looking car and 7yr Warranty.

Bregante

I drove one of them ceeds for a few days t’other week and it actually felt really well put together.. Indistinguishable really from a golf/astra in build quality and ride/handling.

carbon337
    Free Member

Only problem with the ceed would be its depreciation. The 7 yr warranty is based on an annual £300 service so £2100 in servicing to get that warranty.

Honda gets 3 yrs free servicing + a further 2 more for £199.

carbon337
    Free Member

Actually the ceed has a 3yr package for £300 so im technically wrong above 🙁

sambob
    Free Member

If you’re keeping a car for it’s longevity depreciation is less of an issue I suppose, so the Kia could still be an option. What about something recent but second hand? you’d get a much nicer car for the money, with minimal impact on reliability.

carbon337
    Free Member

I will look at second hand options at the dealers see what they can do deal wise.

I will probably keep it about 4-5 years maybe longer.

warton
    Free Member

sorry, whats BT?

carbon337
    Free Member

Bluetooth. Not a decision maker but getting hold of the wife is a nightmare so she cant miss my calls when the phone automatically connects in the car.

br
    Free Member

tbh I wouldn’t be spending +£16k on a new little family car, spend half that on something that’s had big depreciation and while yes it’ll cost a bit more to run, but not greater TCO – but at least it’ll be a nicer place to be, by far.

In fact spend a 10th and get something that makes you smile.

servo
    Free Member

Look at internet new car brokers.
    You can get a great deal on new cars.

http://www.autoebid.com/buy-new-cars/FORD/FOCUS/1.0-EcoBoost-Edge-5d/54697.asp

or drivethedeal.com

I am thinking about getting a focus estate at the moment and there are some great deals around. Ford will give you £1500 towards your deposit if you take out their finance which is actually more than the interest you will pay.

warton
    Free Member

aah OK. if you’re buying a new car, i’d expect it to have that, and would put me off if it didn’t tbh.

I’ve got a civic, the 2.2 turbo diesel. just about to get the clutch replaced for the 2nd time in 50k, so I wouldn’t go back there, not for that engine anyway, the clutch can’t handle it….

carbon337
    Free Member

My old man had that 2.2 and they are very torquey. Cant see the 1.4 having that issue.

warton
    Free Member

no, definitely not, other than that, It hasn’t put another foot wrong

andypaul99
    Free Member

[quoteFord will give you £1500 towards your deposit if you take out their finance which is actually more than the interest you will pay.[/quote]

VW will give you 2k towards your deposit on a new golf and many dealers are topping that up too. The monthly payment would also be less than the ford equivalent and you get 3 yes servicing for £149. Better hurry though as stocks are getting low…

carbon337
    Free Member

VW will give you 2k towards your deposit on a new golf and many dealers are topping that up too

Cant see that anywhere on the vw financing page. Honda are giving 1500 which is 100 less than the cost of financing it.

If VW are giving that we may have a proper fight off.

amplebrew

carbon337 – Member
    VW will give you 2k towards your deposit on a new golf and many dealers are topping that up too
    Cant see that anywhere on the vw financing page. Honda are giving 1500 which is 100 less than the cost of financing it.

If VW are giving that we may have a proper fight off.

Have a look at this page, there is a link to the deposit contribution.

It’s on the old model though.

lancia888
    Free Member

Buy VW, as the residuals will be much higher than any other of your choices. The focus will be about 30/35% of retail value. Where the Golf will be around 50/55% of value. Average focus will be about 4.5/6k where the Golf will be 8.5/10k.. after 3 years. 1.6 diesel se blue motion…. in a metallic paint finish best of bunch. Don’t bother with extras as they are worth nothing at px time. Look at PCP. walk away after 3 years.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘More Car questions – family hatches – opinions.’ is closed to new replies.