Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • More car insurance daftness.
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Got my renewal quote for my 54 Passat TDI. £233, so I went onto Topcashback & got a quote from the same company for £128 plus £25 cashback giving me an actual premium of £103!
    I mean WTF??

totalshell

233 quid are you 80 yrs old living in outer mongolia doing no miles?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

[/quote]233 quid are you 80 yrs old living in outer mongolia doing no miles?

No, I’m 58 & doing the obligatory 10K miles per year.
    & I even declared an SP30 from 4 years ago.

jota180
    Free Member

A newish Suzuki Swift and 4 motorcycles cost me £195 this year, last year it was nearly twice that, no idea why
    I just blame the aloga….. Sums thing

Cougar

Renewals are the dearest way of getting insurance, they pull a figure out of the air in the hope you’ll pay it.

wilburt
    Free Member

All companies charge less in the first year otherwise you wouldn’t notice them on the PCW results and more in later years to turn an actual profit.

What should they do?

jon1973
    Free Member

What should they do?

If they want to retain my business then they shouldn’t excessively increase the price in the second year.

chewkw
    Free Member

Nahhh … just shop around for the cheapest or the most reliable ones.

No need to stay loyal to one company because they are not your friend and you don’t owe them a living but they try to own you … If you mess up they will screw you every way they can.

esselgruntfuttock – Member

Got my renewal quote for my 54 Passat TDI. £233, so I went onto Topcashback & got a quote from the same company for £128 plus £25 cashback giving me an actual premium of £103!
    I mean WTF??

Is Topcashback legit? If so I need to try them in my next renewal as I am paying £495 for a 1.6 Toyota Corolla auto … ya that much.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Mum and dad are taking my nan away at the weekend so i offered to loan them my car as it’s a bit bigger and they’ll get her wheel chair in easily.
    I rang the insurance company to put him on fully comp for 4 days, man on phone informed me they now owe me £1.06 and will refund to my card. Wtf??

chewkw
    Free Member

wrightyson – Member
    I rang the insurance company to put him on fully comp for 4 days, man on phone informed me they now owe me £1.06 and will refund to my card. Wtf??

I say make sure everything is legit and get whatever you can before they bleed you dry next time …

Junkyard
    Free Member

I always add someone to my Insurance as it always makes it cheaper

No idea why.

TheFlyingOx

All companies charge less in the first year otherwise you wouldn’t notice them on the PCW results and more in later years to turn an actual profit.
    What should they do?

A car insurance provider chief exec contemplating the financial suicide that is first year premiums, pictured yesterday:

chewkw
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

I always add someone to my Insurance as it always makes it cheaper

No idea why.

Insuring twice? Surely? No?

😛

edit: stress me up everything I renew my car insurance … some just gave me silly quotes and I wonder why they even bothered at all.

matt_outandabout

I declare 25k miles per year, 15k are business miles, on a big car (Galaxy), 40 years young, full NCB and no bump for 3 years, and am frustrated no-one will give me a policy for less that the ‘minimum policy amount’ of £161. 8)

chewkw
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member

… ‘minimum policy amount’ of £161.

😮

Which insurance company is that?

Why I keep getting rip off?

Is it because I is Johnny foreigner?

I am driving with the British Empire Driving License you know … arrghhh … 😡

matt_outandabout

Which insurance company is that?

Every single blimmin’ one of them.

We settled back on Direct Line, with zero excess on either car. Both cars cost £161 per year, despite totally different mileages, cars, uses etc.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m paying about that on a 2009 Golf GTD for 12,000 miles p/a, I’m 28, was paying less when I was 24 on an 02 Golf GT TDI 130.

do you live somewhere shit?

thegreatape
    Free Member

My lowest quote for a brand new car, 17000 miles, one SP30 (hers), one at fault claim (last month, also hers), and only the compulsory £100 excess was £180 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

do you live somewhere shit?

No, I actually live in the same place that they’ve given me an online quote of £128.
    (if you’d read the OP youd’ve have realised this unless you thought I’d moved between quotes)

chewkw
    Free Member

Aarrghhhh … I think my cost so much because of the post code shite … 😡

sbob
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock – Member

Got my renewal quote for my 54 Passat TDI. £233

For what you are asking, that is effing cheap. 💡

julianwilson
    Free Member

I love the way that
    a)the renewal letter is worded as if they have done all the work for you already, no need to bother shopping around, and b)the salesperson on the phone when you cancel/change insurers always has some spiel about “wait, news just in, the picture is always changing etc etc and it just so happens that today we can beat our own renewal quote by a fat wedge of cash after all!!”
    These are such crap lies, why even bother? Yet every year i get some version of this rather than ‘nice one for shopping around, lets see what we in the spirit of competition we can do you for for you.

Frankly, for an industry that has a fantastic database to check against ‘irregularities’ and (possibly rightly) hangs its customers out to dry for being less than honest, it is a bit sad the way insurance, (which you cannot choose not to have unless you don’t have a vehicle, and yet is provided in a fantastically free-market way) is sold to people using so many econmies of truth in the language that the brokers themselves seem allowed to use.

Of course this forum is not the place we will find serial renewal-quote-accepters or other forms of customer service mugs, but nevertheless these people are out there, and it grates a bit that something you ‘have to have’ (if we take motoring as a given not a luxury) is sold in such a way to so many relatively vulnerable people.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘More car insurance daftness.’ is closed to new replies.