Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • More car buying chat (last thread on this topic I promise)*
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

So after my previous ramblings I’ve pretty much settled on a Smart Roadster coupe because it should put a smile on my face (light, low, handles well) for little money (100 VED, 54mpg) with a bit of uncomplicated DIY needed (leaks!) and it’s practical enough for someone used to an MX5.

So any advice beyond the usual: research faults on the forums, only buy a car I’ve checked out thoroughly?

While part of me wants to do so quickly as the market will heat up, there are few around for sale so buying presently would involve a long trip in the UK.

*you believe that? 😀

Rickos
    Free Member

Al, if I were you I’d join the forms and research faults there and also thoroughly check out any car you might want to buy. Oh, and a test ride too, yeah?

Happy to help.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers, that’s really helpful :love:

What colour should I buy?

Rickos
    Free Member

Saw one in Chelsea that was metallic nail varnish pink. That would suit you down to the ground.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Feel free to suggest alternatives. I thought of an old mini at 638kg but I think only the early ones are that light.

Any benefit in buying from a dealer at £2K?

takisawa2

Have you considered an Octavia ?

scotroutes

Can you get some sort of bike carrier for one of them?

trail_rat
    Free Member

bikes go in no bother …… *

by bikes i mean – bike – the singular version of bikes and by no bother i mean – by removing the front passengers seat from the car and both wheels from the bicycle…..

Daffy

Narrow your search to just the Brabus version and you’ll be fine.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Just when I was beginning to lose faith… this gem of a thread appears.

I really like the Smart Roadster. They remind me of the feet of a Transformer. 2 parked side by side would blow my mind

trail_rat
    Free Member

2 parked side by side would blow my mind look like roller skates for slightly above average people

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

My colleague has the Brabus version. It’s had three engines since he owned it. One replaced under warranty. Two he’s had to pay himself because they blew up in Belgium and Mercedes UK refused to honour the warranty. He’s had numerous other faults too. I paid £10k for it plus £15k in repairs. Bizarly, and despite other owners reporting the same issues, he still hasn’t got rid of it.
    A friend has the normal roadster. He likes driving it and the MPG is good, but it has been far from reliable.

They don’t make sense to me.

What about a MR2?

unovolo
    Free Member

Mazda AZ1 awesome little car but like rocking horse pooh to find,

drlex
    Free Member

^^ Blimey! It’s like they build Ed Straker’s car.

alibongo001

Suzuki cappucino

Honda Beat

You’re welcome! 😆

alibongo001

Al – the gearbox on a normal Smart is the single worst item on any car I have ever had the misfortune to drive

Had one on the Italian riviera a few years ago – no power which was blunted by the slowest witted gearbox you could imagine.

PLease try one before you buy as I think they are a world away from an MX5

(I am assuming they share parts with the non roadster Smarts of the same era!?!)

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve driven a for two and found it OK.

onandon
    Free Member

6 years or so ago i had a brabus roadster which was tuned again to 133 bhp. It moved quite well but went back to Mercedes for 14ks worth of service work in the first year. ( none related to the engine mods )

The biggest issues will be the water ingress to the SAM ecu unit. This has killed many many cars.
    The roof seals leak but that’s easily seen as the grips mark the interior plastic door cards and speaker grills.

When they work they are a lot of fun when tuned as this also speeds up the gear shift.

Spark plugs are a pain to change so make sure they’ve been done. Also factor in a pump for sucking out the oil. They don’t have sump plugs so you need to suck this out via the dip stick hole.
    Obviously won’t be a problem if you’re giving it to a garage to service.

chewkw
    Free Member

OP,

I would choose MX-5 over Smart Roadster coupe any day.

MX-5 is also much more practical.

😛

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I was working on something for tv when a then new Smart Roadster was supplied to be driven on set – product placement. What a load of shit that was. I’ve had several mx5’s and an MR2 and can’t say the smart even comes close. The gearbox was dreadful and the whole car seemed like a toy and not in a good way.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘More car buying chat (last thread on this topic I promise)*’ is closed to new replies.