Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • More bivvying bag/mat Qs…
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

On a recent trip I enjoyed quite a few nights bivvying in my +4deg down bag (800gm) and tapered Pacific blow-up mat (600gm).

I caught the bug AND down syndrome…also found the bag too hot until at 1200m…am wondering if a Snugpak Jungle or Softie travel-lite would do (rated +7deg, both 800gm) with my insulated jacket on if nec. in UK? Rectangular shape and mozzie net of former look good (I struggle not to move my feet a bit) but shoulder baffle of latter also.

Mats…tapered is not working for me…is a Neo-air going to be much better than a Alpkit Numo? (not much in it weight-wise) or anything else ultra-light & comfy? (have a Karrimat to add in cold, and other warmer bags)

slugwash
    Free Member

I’ve got the Snugpak Travel Lite (which, BTW, also comes with a mossie net) I got it from a shop on ebay for about £25 post free. I used it this weekend on Dartmoor and on the Welsh Ride Thing, both around 6/7 deg and without a liner but wearing leggings and baselayers and it was fine. It’s also roomier than my down bags and packs down quite small. The baffle’s good too. As you say you can always wear your insulated jacket inside it if it’s cooler outside. The mossie net was handy at around dawn when a few midges came out to play and the previous evening’s DEET had faded away.

HTH

trail_rat
    Free Member

Numo vs neoair

Numo is essentially an airbed with some fill stuffed in it

Alpkit them selves admit that the neoair is far superior but as a cost. 568g vs 405 for regular neoair

Budget dependant really but id have no hesitation in saying neoair pisses on my old style thermarests it holds heat ! havnt use the numo but all i see is light weight air bed !

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta both…TR – Numo 468gm, R rating 2.5, same as neo-air? How is the neo-air so superior?

Oh and TR you checked they carbon forks oot yet? Hovering over “buy” on one and the seatpost here…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Because neoair is tested r rating

Alpkit is An estimate

You wont regret the forks did about 50 k on tem yesterday includin some gnar dh and they are ace the bars and wheels feel connected again as oppose to rc31s which needed 3 weeks notice filled out in triplicate to negotiate. Bend !

Weighe in at 530 grams with uncut steerer on the scales vs claimed 510

Seem well made

trail_rat
    Free Member

Where did you find 468 ? I was looking on a matrix on alpkots website ( where they handilly
    Forget the neoair exists when comparing )

cynic-al
    Free Member

TR – ta, they sound good, if I deceide to keep the 29er (i.e. monster cross) and sell the Pomp, they will be mine. 468gm – on the Numo page.

neo-air only 2cm wider, and taper on Numo only slight.

You’d think there’s be a rental/demo market!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh is there a consensus that there’s no need to use a liner in a synthetic bag as washing it is not an issue?

Anthony
    Free Member

Im more a fan of sleeping in Lifa base layers than a liner. Slightly heavier/bulkier but double up as evening wear and far easier to sleep in.

They can be washed every trip, whereas even though the Snugpaks are sythetic I wouldn’t want to wash it that often.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

like Anthony, I’m more of a fan of tomorrows base layers rather than a liner (I don’t sweat much tho). In synthetic bags I often don’t bother, as you say, stick it in the wash when it starts smelling. just wash it when it really needs washing and it will be fine for many years. You need to store them loose, not packed.
    Def go with the light bag and light thermal jacket idea, much more versatile IMO.

hikingtentdave
    Free Member

Must second the choice of snugpak for a sleeping mat, they make some fairly robust gear.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘More bivvying bag/mat Qs…’ is closed to new replies.