• This topic has 38 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • More anti-cycling bile!
  • PJay
    Free Member

This popped up on my Facebook feed yesterday:

The usual idiotic comments are included. I don’t suppose that we should be surprised but in my experience **** are ****, some are on bikes but quite a lot are in cars.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I quite like the picture but the text is a little provocative

cookeaa

What I don’t quite understand is that the bus’ destination also appears to be “****”

FB isn’t really “social media” anymore, just a collection of echo boxes where people with similar gripes wind each other up, from time to time you’ll accidentally get included in one of the other echo boxes and find that there’s still some horrible people out there…

devash
    Free Member

Anti-cycling bile is just a symptom of a much larger problem i.e. a small island with too many people / cars, chronic underinvestment in transport links over the past 30 to 40 years, and falling standards of living. Throw in generally poor weather and you have a tinderbox ready to ignite.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

a collection of echo boxes where people with similar gripes wind each other up, from time to time you’ll accidentally get included in one of the other echo boxes and find that there’s still some horrible people out there…

cookeaa has it right.
    What surprises me is that people get drawn into arguing with these tools without first checking out who they are.
    Occasionally i’ll see posts on twitter responding to similar rubbish and when you look up those responsible, nearly every time they’re also posting about immigration, Muslims – all the standard vileness. bikes aren’t chosen because they particularly have an opinion on cycling, bikes are just a chosen target as they fit their stereotype.
    Just best ignored so they can froth themselves up into a frenzy on their own and eventually run out of steam (and hopefully breath).

ajantom

What annoys me most is the incredibly shit drawing.
    All the good artists are obviously out on their bikes.

Bez

What’s the big problem with shit drawing? 🙂

km79
    Free Member

Shite drawing aside, the cyclist here is being a ****.

poah
    Free Member

pfff a roadie, what do you expect.

TiRed

They are right. Most cyclists think the same about Astana. And that includes Astana wannabes too.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Surprised the picture doesn’t show them 2 abreast like they usually are.

daern
    Free Member

I used to attempt to engage with these people, but I don’t bother trying now. When you have people that are parents and grandparents themselves talking about intentionally running cyclists off the road, or cheering when a cyclist is injured in an accident, there’s really nothing you can contribute that will be constructive.

I’ve started road cycling recently and my appreciation of how you should ride on the road if you want to see your family again has increased enormously. It’s also improved me as a motorist and my own attitude to road cyclists (both individual and in groups) has completely changed. Nowadays, when I come up behind a group of riders, I only get pissed off because I’m not out riding with them 🙂

verses

I can’t decide whether it’s ironic or intentional that the child’s drawing includes a bus and a caravan, those other hated users of the road….

Bez

Big shout out to all you folks slagging off a cartoon character drawn by an idiot for the sole purpose of being hated by idiots. Important moral crusade you’re on there. Wouldn’t want any normal cartoon characters thinking we didn’t hate cartoon cyclists, eh.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I like it

GrahamS

He wants to get the dishing on that front wheel checked if you ask me.

Shite drawing aside, the cyclist here is being a ****.

Yep – not really a good idea to be taking both hands off the bars on a country lane that is probably full of potholes. Especially when you only have four fingers.

Of course the three drivers are being **** too. Driving far too close and taking large vehicles down singletrack roads with unfenced livestock. What happens when they meet a tractor coming the other way? Doesn’t look like there are a lot of passing places.

daern
    Free Member

He wants to get the dishing on that front wheel checked if you ask me.

Straight to the crux of the matter there. I like it 🙂

nickfrog
    Free Member

TBF, there are some **** in any vehicles, including bike. I get annoyed at the anti-cycling sentiment but that doesn’t mean there is no **** behaviour from cyclists (I see a lot of it, probably in similar proportion to drivers’ **** behaviour, hardly surprising as most cyclists are also drivers, just at different time).

I don’t understand FB, but I am old !

Also, there is a lot of truth about the living the dream roadie thing, why on earth would you ride in a team kit, particularly when you are twice the weight ?

thomthumb
    Free Member

the drawing is quite good. i like it (obviosuly noit the messgage).

but who sits down for there precious free time to direct anger at other people, i’d much rather do something i enjoy. (ride a bike).

I find this odd.

Bez

Amazing. A stupid cartoon is now a trigger to attack other people’s choice of clothes?

theotherjonv

how wide are those bars?

If he had decent width aero ones for a smaller frontal profile he’d be steaming away miles in front of that bus and the motorists could get back to fuming at the bus and caravan for holding them up. All the way to ****, wherever that is?

Bez
    raymenrh
    Free Member

I’ve ridden on many narrow Cornish lanes where the magical 1.5 M from the curb is pretty much the centre of the road! Also have very few places to pull in and stop. Ironically we have a lot of ‘quiet lanes’ around our way that are supposed to be used by bikers/walkers/horses – but also cars. I can’t tell you how many close passes I’ve had when I’m commuting to work… I try very hard not to ride like a ****

Also – Highway See this tweet from police regarding two abreast rule in Highway Code

Also also – roads are carriageways, bikes classified as carriage in 1888, therefore can use whole carriageway at any point (except motorways) – don’t think there has been a change in law since?

TheWrongTrousers

Yeah I saw that on my FB too, I’m always amazed by the level of ignorance in the replies to this stuff. Can THAT many people be THAT thick ?
    I guess they can …..

aracer
    Free Member

52% 😈

nickhit3
    Free Member

moral of this kind of pish? get off facebook. delete it. folk think you’ve died and eventually stop calling. its great.

kayak23

I saw one the other day, a poll if you will, asking whether folk thought cyclists should pay road tax. 🙄

Clickbait for the terminally dim.

GrahamS

I saw one the other day, a poll if you will, asking whether folk thought cyclists should pay road tax.

I always find that question becomes a bit sillier if you refer to it as “car tax”.

But to be honest under the old CO2 banded system I’d be quite happy to pay the appropriate rate for my bike, which as a vehicle producing less than 100g/km of CO2, is zero.

Under the new flat rate system, where the money is actually ringfenced for spending on the Strategic Road Network (i.e. motorways and selected major A roads), I’m quite happy to pay an amount that corresponds to how much I cycle on those roads: zero.

The other roads I’ll continue to pay for through my council tax like everyone else.

Legoman
    Free Member

If you want real pro-level anti-cycling bile, check out ‘Aussies over cyclists’ on facebook. They’ve got stickers and everything!

Poopscoop

Bah, just don’t let it wind you up.

Life’s too short.

Someone actually sat down and spent time drawing that rubbish!

I pity him/her. 😀

DezB
    Free Member

I can’t decide whether it’s ironic or intentional that the child’s drawing includes a bus and a caravan, those other hated users of the road

I think the purple car is thinking the caravan is a **** and the orange car is thinking the bus is a ****.
    Seems to be a comment on general road usage, everyone getting upset by everyone else, rather than anti-cycling. In which case it’s pretty true to life.

[edit] and, just realised, the cyclist is the only happy one. In which case it”s very PRO-cycling. Innit.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It annoys roadies. What’s not to like?

GrahamS

So why does the sheep think the yellow car is a ****?

DezB
    Free Member

Sheeps don’t like caravanners. Obv innit.

aracer
    Free Member

It seems to be the drivers who are annoyed – and maybe the trolls?

cookeaa

…the motorists could get back to fuming at the bus and caravan for holding them up. All the way to ****, wherever that is?

Orkney apparently…

He’s just missed a ‘T’ off the end… The silly Twatt!

I wouldn’t have expected Orkney to be a hotbed of roadrage and anti-cycling sentiment, but you live and learn…

aracer
    Free Member

I’m guessing it has narrow roads, but wouldn’t expect to get many caravans up there.

epicyclo

cookeaa – Member
    …I wouldn’t have expected Orkney to be a hotbed of roadrage and anti-cycling sentiment, but you live and learn…

It’s a great place to ride. They’ve been civilised up there for a very long time…

Bez

wouldn’t expect to get many caravans up there.

Is this like “Can I get a car in Mianus?”

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘More anti-cycling bile!’ is closed to new replies.