Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • More 26 inch obsolescence
  • belugabob
    Free Member

Whilst 26 inch forks with a straight steerer have been getting harder to source for quite a while, now, they are not the kind of item that I need to buy on a regular basis, so I could kind of live with it.

Fast forward to more recent times, and my 26 inch wheeled single speed bike is in need of some new winter tyres (the previous ones having finally worn out)
    No problem, fire up t’internet and order some new ones – or so I thought.
    Being a little bit fussy, and liking the fact that my Bontrager tubeless rims ‘just work’ with Bontrager tubeless tyres, my attempts to locate direct replacements led to the discovery that Trek no longer make bikes with 26 inch wheels, so they are ‘winding down their stock’ of 26 inch tyres. This has been going on for long enough for them to be as rare as a Coventry City FA Cup win (Or any Coventry City win, now I think about it)

There are still a few out there, so I advise anybody with a similar penchant, for said tyres, to get you hands on some, before I’m tempted to mine them like Bitcoins.

Not looking forward to entering the murky world of wondering which tyres will work with my rims, and starting yet another thread about how much bother I’m having ‘getting xxxx tyres to go up tubeless’

Not so much a rant, as a sad mourning of a passing era (for me, anyway)

nickfrog
    Free Member

I know what you mean, I don’t like to see perfectly working old stuff that I had fun with become obsolete.

But having moved to 27.5 and loving it, I couldn’t give a shyte anymore as I am having even more fun now !

binners

Just have a look at the back of my shed. There are about fifteen pairs of 26″ tyres. Doesn’t everyone have a similar pile?

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Binners I still run 26″ out of spite, do you want to sell em, what sort are they ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just have a look at the back of my shed. There are about fifteen pairs of 26″ tyres. Doesn’t everyone have a similar pile?

Yea, tried to give them away a couple of years ago, no one wanted them!

Kept the DH tyres in the end just incase I fancy a cheap Alps/BPW bike at some point in the future and the rest went to the bike recyclers.

mikey74
    Free Member

as I am having even more fun now !

I very much doubt that is purely down to having wheels 1.5 inches bigger.

philjunior
    Free Member

I think it’s a problem if you’re after a particular tyre, but this is the case with pretty much any tyre these days as there are so many manufacturers making so many tread patterns in so many compounds/carcass options that nobody ever has stock of the combination you want.

I too have a pile of 26in tyres in the garage, and a couple of 29er tyres.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes I also keep a pile and have stockpiled my favourites for this reason

I hate the industry for it forcing me to upgrade. **** the lot of them

I also imagine you can take the wheels of 650b and swap with 26 er and no one would ever notice

binners

Mr potatohead – I’m still running a 26″ hardtail myself (Orange P7), with no plans to upgrade to make the trails come alive, so given this thread, I think I best stick hold of them 😀

earl_brutus

Ive got 2-3 26″ bontrager tubeless tyres 2.0-2.2 width xc knobbly type in my workshop I could do you a deal on?

rocketman
    Free Member

Mine are all OK. Four 26rs that are fundamentally the same in the wheel/axle/fork category and a big pile of tyres so it’s easy to have at least 2 built up. Have particularly enjoyed this summer on the Olympic Spec Short Travel FS and currently enjoying Autumn on the Aggressive Long Forked HT.

One thing I’ve learned is how easy it is to create a fun sponge/mince tank.

nickhit3
    Free Member

I don’t like to see perfectly working old stuff that I had fun with become obsolete.

i hear ya buddy.. can we bring it back to bikes though yeah?

Splash-man
    Free Member

Are there other sizes of wheels available other than 26″ ?

I’m shocked hehe

Big pile of 26″ tyres here as they are the only size I own.
    I’m sure I can’t be the only one.

cinnamon_girl

Shameless plug that I’ll soon be putting plenty of 26er stuff on Classifieds. 🙂

RustySpanner

If we ever do get to the stage where 26 off road tyres aren’t readily available, I think I’ll probably just give up on MTB’s.

Might buy a rigid old school non boost and qr 29er, but might not.

Not buying 650b anything.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

no worries Binners, I do intend to resist changing just to line someone’s pocket for as long as I can .

mehr
    Free Member

650b was a marketers dream, what they should have done was go hard on 29 so you had a real choice.

I’ve still to ride a 650b that performs “that” much better than my (albeit heavily upgraded) Pitch

Agree with the OP on forks as well, I reckon I could get £300 for my 36’s

LittleNose
    Free Member

Still running 26” here – I was hoping that 26 stuff would be going cheap left right and centre, but whenever I seem to need something it’s never on sale.

Phil_H

I’ve got some bonty 26″ mud tyres in the shed if you are interested?

amedias
    Free Member

Isn’t this more a case of your particular favourite not being available any more?

I’ve previously suffered from favourite tyre models being discontinued, even before the wheel size shenanigans, and yes I was grumpy, but plenty of other options out there from other manufacturers so you’re not exactly stuffed.

I don’t think we’re going to find ourselves in the situation of not actually being able to buy decent 26in tyres for quite some time yet…

Junkyard
    Free Member

straight steerer forks though are the real issue

RustySpanner

And decent rims are getting rarer than they were.

Simon

mehr – Member
    I’ve still to ride a 650b that performs “that” much better than my (albeit heavily upgraded) Pitch

I’m with you there! Over the last two years I’ve done a couple of Specialized demo days and nothing felt “that” much better than my Pitch – not enough for me to put my hand in my pocket anyway 🙂

The only thing letting my Pitch was the 32mm stanchions on my Revelation fork but with the rarity of decent straight steerer forks I’ve ended with a new frame & fork. And a new wheel size 😐

globalti
    Free Member

I recently sold seven 26″ tyres in various states of wear to a bloke who has 54 mountain bikes, he was delighted to have them for a tenner.

kayla1
    Free Member

This. I’m trying to replace/replicate my OH’s Commie Meta 4X that was nicked, I found a frame and everything’s easily available apart from decent forks. I’ve managed to piece a set together from spares and second hand stuff but he’s going to have to move with the times eventually and get a tapered frame, which is a shame because he loves that frame and there doesn’t seem to be anything current-ish that’s similar.

belugabob
    Free Member

Ah, but how many are Bontrager TLR models?

Ive got 2-3 26″ bontrager tubeless tyres 2.0-2.2 width xc knobbly type in my workshop I could do you a deal on?

Which models?
    How many of each?
    How worn?
    How much?

ell_tell
    Free Member

Both my 26″ hardtail that I’m about to build back up, and my FS run 1 1/8th straight steerer forks.

I’m waiting for the time when I’ll be forced to upgrade due to lack of forks

cinnamon_girl

@ kayla1 – what forks are you looking for?

P-Jay
    Free Member

It was always going to happen one day I guess. I’m sure they’ll make 26” for years to come yet – they only stopped making VHS players a few years ago, if there’s a market there will always be someone willing to sell to it.

Ultimately though, the great change to 650b came with the 2014 year bikes.

The rate things are going back to 29 these days though we might be all crying at the lack of 650b tyres in 2022.

kayla1
    Free Member

cinnamon girl- Suntour Durolux. I’ve got a set here but the steerer’s waaaaaaaaaaaay too short to fit his frame. I think I’ve found a good used set that I can make one good set from though!

cinnamon_girl

Sorry kayla1, can’t help then! Not a common brand so harder to source I’d imagine so fingers crossed you’re sorted.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

And decent rims are getting rarer than they were.

On one selling pacenti DL 31s for £13 each

kayla1
    Free Member

CG, what have you got? I’m all for hoarding spares.

frankconway

Beluga – Cyclesport in Lincoln have 26″ Bonty’s in stock; that is, they did on Saturday.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Still running 26″ here as well & probably will be for the rest of my offroad days (I’m 61 so probably not long left!)
    However I have 6, pretty much new, Maxxis Advantage Exeptions 2.1’s in the garage. They’ll probably perish before I get through them.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/1740704/ Durolux

Have to say, part of the reason I went 650B wasn’t the wheel size but having a straight steerer (2011 Pitch Pro) – went all in with Boost at the same time to hedge my bets! Still got a rigid 26″ SS, straight steerer, etc, though! Thankfully that just gets whatever’s cheapest thrown at it..

chestrockwell

I was upset when the original Specialized Ground Control and Panaracer Smoke, in Amber Wall, stopped being made. Didn’t see you lot up in arms then 👿

cinnamon_girl

@kayla – have had 3 bikes split and currently sorting out a Classifieds ad. So basically everything, apart from stuck seat posts and stuck grips on riser bar.

belugabob
    Free Member

Beluga – Cyclesport in Lincoln have 26″ Bonty’s in stock; that is, they did on Saturday.

I’ll have to take your word for it, as their website sucks.
    Might drop them an email, though.

sirromj

I’m looking at replacing a Deore M590 triple crankset for my 26″ commuter. Sold out almost everywhere. £69 best price I’ve found so far. Last one was £47.99 just over two years ago – cheaper than replacing the chain rings.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘More 26 inch obsolescence’ is closed to new replies.