Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Moray Firth folk…
  • druidh
    Free Member

What are the A939/A940 like for a weekday morning road ride? I’ll be up that Nairn next week and I’m thinking I might “escape” for a couple of hours.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Druidh,

Not ridden these roads from Nairn, but the A939 north from Grantown on Spey over Dava moor is a fantastic road. I’ve ridden this twice; once to the Lochindorb turn-off to the B9007 and once up to Dava then west at Little Aitnoch and back to the B9007.

Beautiful part of the world.

[/url]

scotbike
    Free Member

nice! I would think it would be very fine on a weekday morning – I’ve only ever ridden it at a weekend and it wasn’t busy, but it was bonny.

druidh
    Free Member

Nairn – Dava – Forres and then back on the NCN route looks like a decent morning then.

Ta

Innes
    Free Member

Hi Druidh

I live in Nairn.

How for do you want to ride on the road?

There is a good route from Nairn on the back roads to Forres, head to Mundole by the bridge over the river Findhorn, cycle on the A940, turn on to the B9007 to Ferness, then head back to Nairn. It has a good mixture of flat and hill sections.

There are loads of good roads to cycle round here.

Just ask if you want to know more.

How long are you here for?

Innes

druidh
    Free Member

Innes

Thanks for the tips. I’m just up for a couple of nights but I have a pesky wedding to attend on the Friday afternoon. I was just hoping to slope off in the morning and get back for the start of the action……

I passed though earlier in the year en route from Edinburgh-Aberdeen-Fraserburgh-Inverness, so I know some of the back-roads you are describing. Thought I’d head inland a little this time too.

Innes
    Free Member

Have a look on the roads south of Cawdor, there are some good routes there.

If you see Sustrans route 1 you could make a loop round them and join up back to Nairn via Croy and Clephanton.

Hope you get on alright.

Innes

stanfree
    Free Member

Druidh Im originally from Elgin so know the area well . As Innes says Its a pretty stunning area especially the Forres to Grantown (Ferness and dava roads). If you are going to cycle It ,makes sure and stop at Randolphs leap a couple of miles out on the Ferness road as Its pretty stunning. These roads are pretty quiet but be warned because of there remoteness and being fairly straight they do lend themselves to people driving really fast . That said Its so barren you will see or hear cars coming from a fair distance.

Enjoy.

druidh
    Free Member

A wee follow up if I may….. what is the NCN route from Forres to Brodie Castle like for a touring bike with 28mm tyres?

Innes
    Free Member

It is on road mainly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Moray Firth folk…’ is closed to new replies.