Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • moral/security question – found a wallet…
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

ok, so full story is…

housemate (who didn’t grow up in UK) found a wallet on the street a few months ago.

found the owner on facebook (name, pic and location on some ID confirmed it was correct person) and sent them a message straight away. no response.

housemate is a bit of a scatterbrain and the whole thing got forgotten pretty quickly it seems.

i only found out about him finding the wallet a month or so later (so couldn’t offer any particularly relevant advice).

housemate is now leaving the country, and has given me the wallet to sort out…

what should i do?

it’s been ‘missing’ for months now, so i guess it’s fair to assume the contents (bank cards, ID etc) have been replaced. I presume the sensible thing to do is to destroy them and then chuck it all?

The person aparently had a reasonably active facebook profile (their ‘wall’ was public), so given that the assumption is that the person saw the message, it seems they’re not that bothered?!

oh, and the £25 cash – feels a bit rude to pocket it! 😳

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

just checked contents – 2 bank cards, EHIC, Oyster, national insurance, recipts, stamp and cash.

user-removed
    Free Member

£25 in charity box, wallet contents shredded. Or hand in to the police.

Cougar

Message again on FB, if no response after a few weeks say, pocket the cash and shred the cards.

somafunk

Eh?, why would he go to the hassle of hunting them down on facebook rather than handing it in to the local police and be done with it?, seems a bit strange to me but i guess everyones different. Hand it in to the police yourself, it doesn’t belong to you and explain why it has been in the possession of your “friend” for months, that would be an interesting conversation to eavesdrop on, good luck.

chewkw
    Free Member

Give it to the police.

paddy0091
    Free Member

Police? give it to the bank.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i’ve no idea. quicker and easier to find the person on facebook who he assumed would be v happy to get their wallet back, i guess. i just found them within 5 seconds, and could have sent them a message within a minute.

if i’d lost mine and someone sent me a message i’d be really happy, instead of faffing around, hoping it was at a police station etc.

and yes, it was my housemate, not me.

anyway, thats beside the point.

RealMan
    Free Member

Messages from people you don’t know on FB sometimes don’t get through. Send him a friend request.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Give the cards to the bank & give the bank your phone number to pass on to the owner. You might even get a tenner off the bank just for handing the cards in like I did, & if you hear nowt from the owner then keep the dosh.

user-removed
    Free Member

Why is it that certain members of this community, most given to moral turpitude, are the most likely to pop up on threads concerning difficult moral decisions? 🙄 (Not egf btw).

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

egf – sounds like the best idea i think.

ta for the opinions (well, most of them…)

brakes
    Free Member

put it in the classifieds, see how much you can get?

irc

Since keeping it is theft the correct answer is hand it to the police. Better late than never.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I wondered if anyone would hand my recently lost phone into the police. After contacting the police myself to report it missing I can understand why they hadnt bothered as the nearest open station was some 15 miles away!!

piemonster

Police.

Now, if it had a decent wad of cash in it, that would be different.

ask1974
    Free Member

Why the assumption that a Facebook post gets read? I miss most posts and my profile is private, it’s not exactly critical reading is it … 😐

Every decision made so far has been wrong, hand it in like a good man and make it someone else’s problem.

higgo
    Free Member

RealMan – Member
    Send him a friend request.

What do you know about making friends?

crankboy
    Free Member

I have found cash in the street on one occasion and a wallet on another and live ammo on a third in the case of the cash and ammo the poice gave me a form so that if no one claimed the property I could have it.

It never crossed my mind to do anything other than hand it over. The cash was about a weeks dole to someone and obviously dropped in a place where they may be able to trace it the wallet had is details and a bus pass so would be of value to the losser and could be returned.

jota180
    Free Member

You’d think handing in to the police would be a simple process wouldn’t you?

A couple of years ago I found a rather nice Orange 5 on an old railway line early one morning.

Took it home and rang the police ….
    “can you ring back after 9?”

After 9, I call again …..
    “ah, OK, I’ll get someone to call you later”

Later………. gets promised call and give all the details….
    “Could you hold onto it for a few days for us?”

2 weeks later, I get another call….
    “we’ve found the owner and they will be round to collect it”

Turns out it belonged to an officer at the same station so they came around in a police van and took it off my hands.

Gary_C

Turns out it belonged to an officer at the same station so they came around in a police van and took it off my hands.

Aye, I bet it did…

jota180
    Free Member

Aye, I bet it did…

What?

You think they they chanced it to ‘win’ a bicycle 🙄

RealMan
    Free Member

What do you know about making friends?

Ah damn it, did I try to help out the OP? My mistake, I’ll return to my hole of shame and continue whipping myself. Although maybe I’ll stay here, reading your pathetic attempts at ad hominem are probably a worse punishment.

Unless of course you’re being serious and you do actually want some advice from me about how to make friends? Just be yourself kiddo. Best of luck.

jota180
    Free Member

ad hominem

I thought he died and that Dinnerjacket fella took over

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

feels a bit rude to pocket it!

you’d also be committing an offence of theft by finding. You know the owner can be traced/identified by taking reasonable steps so to keep the cash is dishonest. Pretty saddened people feel the need to ask such a question.

Hand it in to local pol stn, give them details you have of the owner. Not sure if you have any record or what your employment situation is but is a charge or caution for theft worth 25 quid?

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Why not just be honest, tell them what’s happened, and hand it back, money and all? It’ll make the recipient happy, and that’s a good thing.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Pretty saddened people feel the need to ask such a question.

well clearly, given that there’s been a range of different answers, it’s a question that was worth asking…

thanks all

DezB
    Free Member

Funny thread! Do people really not get the Facebook thing?
    Choice of sitting at home, clicking the mouse and typing a few words – , or
    1) paying at least a quid to park, walking into the police station to talk to some disinterested bobby
    2) finding the appropriate banks, walking in and queueing, trying to explain the situation to a school leaver….
    I know which I’d try first!

somafunk

Some of us obviously don’t use Facebook, did you consider that?. A few times a week I drive past the police stations in 3 local/rural towns and it’d be far less hassle to hand it over to them. Not everyone lives in a bustling metropolis of a city nor gets charged for parking either?. Cmon dezb, Think out of the box on this one 😉 .
    And for those advising to keep the cash, cheers…. I now know who to avoid on the classifieds, a very subtle way to weed out those of us who are bereft of morals and common decency.

DezB
    Free Member

I didn’t say that’s what you should do – just how can you (pretend to?) not understand why someone would do that? 🙄

jota180
    Free Member

I know which I’d try first!

According to the OP it was tried and came up wanting

I have a FB account but never look at it.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

the person does look at their facebook quite a bit, judging by how many status’ they create – they should also think about their privacy settings….

aaaaaaaanyway…

i guess i’ll see if i can find out where my nearest police station is.

somafunk

I was saying some of us don’t use Facebook so therefore would not think of searching for someone on it in the first place, especially when handing it in would take 5 mins and no need to hunt someone down nor parcel it up and pay for secure and insured postage costs, apologies dez-b, I did use a winking smiley n’ all

DezB
    Free Member

I have a FB account but never look at it.

same here. Now the poor OP has go to put some effort in and no-one wants to do that now, do they? 😉

Cougar

And for those advising to keep the cash, cheers…. I now know who to avoid on the classifieds, a very subtle way to weed out those of us who are bereft of morals and common decency.

To be clear,

I wouldn’t suggest keeping the money without attempting to return the wallet. But if you’ve attempted to return it and been met with disinterest, you’ve fulfilled your moral obligations as far as I can see.

davidjones15
    Free Member

the person does look at their facebook quite a bit, judging by how many status’ they create – they should also think about their privacy settings….

You can upload to FB without necessarily looking at what others have posted at you.

DezB
    Free Member

Can you upload the wallet?

jota180
    Free Member

Absolutely, all the recipient needs is a 3D printer

davidjones15
    Free Member

Yes.
    It can also help you to travel in time, transport you to other parts of the world and make you look attractive to the opposite sex.

brakes
    Free Member

I can’t see this on the classifieds yet. I’ll give you £10 cash for the cash.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘moral/security question – found a wallet…’ is closed to new replies.