• This topic has 100 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by enfht.
Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • Moral / ethical dillemma – homeless chap
  • angeldust
    Free Member

Did the homeless guy have a dog?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Good work TJ. *pats on head* 😉

sweepy
    Free Member

‘Virtue signalling’ comes straight out of the alt-right handbook of humorous put-downs, along with others like ‘snowflake’ and’triggered’
    Not as clever as they think it is.

I’ve been homeless and it sucks the big one, anything that cheers it up a bit would be OK in my opinion so why shouldn’t he have a drink- he’s got **** all else, but in what kind of world do people have to explain and apologise for caring about their fellow man (or woman, sorry Stan) and asking what might be the best way to help.

enfht
    Free Member

Yeah right.. virtue signalling=alt right=nazi.

‘Virtue signalling’ is a descriptive observation. Bloody accurate term.

But haven’t a clue why it relates to TJ pimping out homeless rent boys.

tjagain

*sniggers*
    STW in a nutshell. some thoughtful contributions, some slagging me and something to make me laugh

gordimhor

TJ+1 I have helped out homeless people in an inconsistent and sporadic manner over 35 years now. It’s not altruism I get the pay back of taking the “rescuer” role while they get to be the “victim”. I have been so poor that I had to busk to keep a roof over my head. (Thanks Mrs Thatcher) I think it’s partly that I can identify with some homeless people better than others and would like to think someone might help me if I was in a similar position.

user-removed
    Free Member

enfht or whatever your weird name is. What a peculiar and unpleasant thing to say.

I do hope that all is well in your world but I suspect it’s not. I would invite you to call me but thinking about it, no.

frankconway

@gordimhor: if you’re interested in doing something in the homeless sector in a more ‘structured’ way, drop me an email – details in profile.

jamj1974

In both examples – its a good thing you have done TJ.

pondo

councilof10 –
    But bragging about it on Facebook or forums in order to harvest likes or virtual backslapping just strikes me as a bit crass.

Not a fan of bragging? I get you, bro.

councilof10 –
    IAM Advanced Driver would be a good start, former motoring editor with experience driving all major performance marques would help too.

Ooo, you filthy hypocrite, you!

Interesting thread, makes me think about my own attitude and actions towards the homeless, and I’m not comfortable with what I’m thinking. Fair play TJ, I should doing what you’re doing, at the very least.

frankconway

@Pondo – good spot; no room for hypocrites on STW………… 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

Canny say if I give money to homeless people I think twice what they’ll spend it on, drugs, booze, probably what I’d have spent it on anyhow! 😆

Mind you I’ll make a judgement, probably wrongly on who I think looks like they actually need it or no, or who is taking the piss. Clearly some are just piss heads looking to make money.

As for the general problem of homelessness, I canny quite make out if it is a lot worse(I think it is worse), or if it’s just more visable/organised. I can mind a few years ago, you’d get loads of romanians about glasgow. Now you don’t see as many, I think the locals learned a few things about the organisation nature of things there.

Interesting working in the toon these days aswell, you notice things alot more, like they’ve got their own drug dealers handing out shit to them fairly openly on the streets too.

As I say, not that i’m in a place to judge anyone, it’s just interesting to observe.

councilof10
    Free Member

Not a fan of bragging? I get you, bro.

This is probably far too subtle for a mind so feeble, but one is discussing what you used to do for a living when it is relevant to the thread; and one is starting a thread with no other purpose than to boast about how charitable you are, and trying to disguise it with a charade of middle-class angst.

Honestly, this thread is so cloyingly nauseating, it’s bordering on American! 🙄

pondo

I bet you weren’t an editor for long. 🙂

giantalkali
    Free Member

Calm down Jeremy clarkson

footflaps

and one is starting a thread with no other purpose than to boast about how charitable you are, and trying to disguise it with a charade of middle-class angst.

Well that’s only in your (very narrow minded) opinion.

I didn’t read it at all like that.

Calm down Jeremy clarkson

At least JC is funny (as well as being bigoted).

crankboy
    Free Member

“enfht – Member
    Yeah right.. virtue signalling=alt right=nazi.”

not quite it’s … signalling theory > Lesswrong > neoreactionary movement > alt right.. Virtue Signalling has been a Nazi shibboleth since the neoreactionaries adopted it as a pejorative.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Fair play tj for giving a crap. Ignore the mud slingers

binners

Why is it that people who bang on about ” virtue signalling ” are never the people you want to bump into in real life ?

This may help explain

frankconway

councilof10 – by your own admission you’re a troll who enjoys posting ‘provocative’ comments then sitting back and watching the reaction.
    When I can be arsed I’ll post up your quote ^^^

Suggest you crawl back into the hole you emerged from.

@pondo; it’s not just that he wasn’t an editor for long, he/she/it doesn’t appear to have made much progress along the evolutionary timeline.

enfht
    Free Member

enfht or whatever your weird name is

Racist! 👿

Nazi Scum, off our forum!

Down with this sort of thing!

Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Moral / ethical dillemma – homeless chap’ is closed to new replies.