• This topic has 27 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Moral Dilemma- Charities and Money
  • rolfharris
    Free Member

Last year I was "chugged" in Edinburgh by a girl. There was a date at stake and so I agreed to do a one off donation.

However, I realised this month that the charity has actually taken it as a direct debit to the tune of £8 a month- which I can't really afford, nor neccesarily want to pay.

My heart says I should just cancel it and leave it at that, but my wallet (and the need to pay my rent/bills etc) says I should claim back the £150 or so that I never wanted to pay.

I'd be evil if I asked for the money back, right?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

well you must have signed a direct debit mandate. If not then your bank will pay the money back.

coffeeking
    Free Member

No you'd be well within your rights to point out your stupidity in signing a DD form without thinking 😀

aracer
    Free Member

You're short of money, yet it's taken you well over a year to notice? I suspect you didn't read the small print.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Aracer- I suspect this too. I'm probably in the wrong on that front, I can't really remember.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It is no small wonder you are short of money if you are not able to realise that money is being taken from your account every month.

Either that or very rich.

BigDummy
    Free Member

There was a date at stake and so I agreed…

If it was just a date then I'd say get your money back, especially if you paid for dinner. If you got your end away then I reckon you shouldn't complain.

Besides, they will inevitably just show you a signed direct debit mandate which you didn't read while you were trying to flip your boner up the seam and impress her.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

rolfharris – Member
    Last year I was "chugged" in Edinburgh by a girl. There was a date at stake

What's that saying about a fool and his money?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i think that all Direct Debit Mandates include a 'i was thinking with my dick not my brain' clause.

best check with your bank.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Excellent. There's a lesson for you all to learn from gentlemen.

Mastiles- I'm a yoof. I'm not fantastic at watching money go in and out of my account as yet. Things like this'll learn me, though, eh?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Things like this'll learn me, though, eh

No, they may "teach" you, however. You will "learn" from the teaching and/or lesson here.

*Wanders off, grumbling about education these days….*

rolfharris
    Free Member

You're not from Yorkshire, are you?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

🙂

soobalias
    Free Member

bank should immediately refund the last two payments as the money has been taken in error, prior to that its just as much your fault for not spotting it.

aracer
    Free Member

What we're not being told is whether it was worth it.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Indeed. I think this thread should be more "Confessions of a charitable 'giver'" and less "Money-Wise".

rolfharris
    Free Member

I've also just torn a bit of dried skin off my lip and made myself bleed.

Can someone please give me the website for the university of life, please?

meehaja
    Free Member

slight hijack… but why do people think you're some kind of evil doer if you don't give money to "their" charity? I do give money to charities (that I choose). I also give time when I can. Yet recently when approached by two sepperate people at work asking for "sponsorship" of their even I have refused and been called mean. both these events involve life changing experiences for the doer (walking the great wall of china/ husky tour of the arctic) with a need to raise a minimum ammount. Am I really a stooge to ask A:What do these charitys do? B:How much of the money raised go's to charity and how much pays for your holiday?? C: I'd like my work mates to pay for my holiday, can i come too?

I have sponsored one person at work, quite a lot of money for taking on a genuine challenge (cycling the length of america) organised and paid for by himself (its a holiday for him afterall) with all the money going to a real charity. Shouold I feel guilty for not wanting to pay for others holidays?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

meehaja – 100% with you on that one. I once ran the Great North Run for charity after a friend died of Meningitis, but I saw it as a challenge and I trained hard for 9 months in order to complete in a quick (for me) time. I have also organised charitable events in the past on a couple of occasions.

I never give money to someone for doing a parachute jump or anything like that either.

I was once approached in a nightclub of all places so I refused to give and was told I would 'go to hell' for not giving.

Nice.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

+1 but that's been done to death on here

did you get lucky or not

I once bought a pair of glasses in Edinburgh for much the same reasons, the difference being that the glasses were great and i'll freely admit to 'entering into relations' with the girl who advised me on which ones to buy 🙂

simonralli2
    Free Member

Do you need the cash for your new girlfriend's commuter bike, or is this the same chick who is now fleecing you for a whole bike as well as the charity thing?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There was a date at stake and so I agreed…

Always a good way to kick off a potential relationship – Paying for it. 😯

BigDummy
    Free Member

You're always going to be paying for it one way or the other. At least the OP's first instalment was to charity. 🙂

rolfharris
    Free Member

Simon Ralli- this was a previous "failed operation". Have been with the current one since March last year, and she's paying for the bike herself!

nickc

I was stitched up similarly in my yoof by Greenpeace, noticed £10 going out of my acct after a couple of months, asked the bank to see the mandate, saw the signature was fake, the bank replaced the money.

nickc

Always a good way to kick off a potential relationship – Paying for it.

You've never bought a pretty girl at the bar a drink, then Peter?

BigDummy
    Free Member

'course not. He waits for her to buy herself one then drops the pills in it while she isn't looking. Much cheaper. 😉

Bez

No, they may "teach" you, however. You will "learn" from the teaching and/or lesson here.

They may learn him. Oop norf, 'to learn' is the same as 'to teach' is dahn sarf. Innit.

There. That's you learned. And/or taught.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Moral Dilemma- Charities and Money’ is closed to new replies.