Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Moral Dilemma #144 Poss Free Stuff Content
  • user-removed
    Free Member

Ordered a Seagate 1TB external hard drive (£70 posted, bargain) from Maplins online and it arrived last week – paid for it with a credit card.

Got a whole bunch of emails telling me I'd ordered a 1TB external HD from Maplins. Thanks. Then yesterday, got a whole new bunch of emails saying the same thing – they all got deleted too.

Then today, another HD gets delivered. Just off the phone with the CC company and they say only one lot of payment has been taken.

Leaving it in its packaging for now – over to you!

jam-bo

tell them you changed your mind, send one back and get a refund….

user-removed
    Free Member

TBH I could use it so would probably either keep it or return it explaining what's happened.

The last time something like this happened (found A LOT of cash sticking out of a cash machine and handed it in) I got properly burned.

ojom
    Free Member

Imagine it the other way round.

They send you 1 and charge you twice.

You would hope they would tell you and sort it out wouldn't you…

user-removed
    Free Member

I think I'd probably notice, given the state of my bank balance………

thegreatape
    Free Member

A similar thing happened to me in December (lower value product mind). I emailed them to tell them, and they told me to keep it. You could try that, and might be able keep it and have a clear conscience?

kevonakona
    Free Member

NO dilema is it really. Contact them re sending it back. i'd expect them o pay postage and be very grateful. Or if you wanted you could just keep the property that isn't yours.

user-removed
    Free Member

IF it goes back to them (probably will) I expect them to send a courier to pick it up, or pay me for the round trip to the PO (about 40 mins by car).

Dylan08
    Free Member

My wife is pal's with the MD of Maplins Ill ask her to pass on youre email address if you want mate? 😉

bristolbiker
    Free Member

There's a house about 1/2 mile from me that has a very similar address (the road name is slightly different but the post code is completley different) and it's clear that the owner orders alot of stuff from Argos that gets delivered to us by mistake. The first few time it happened I went round to the correct address and told him what had happened. He'd already been on the phone to Argos and got them to resend the goods, as it must have been lost in the post, so he was happy and didn't want to know….. so I phoned Argos and they said they didn't want it back as the hastle of getting it back and restocking was too much hastle. After the fifth time this happened, each with the same 'I can't be arsed' response from both parties I gave up and now don't bother mentioning it to either Argos or the bloke down the road. So far we have a large selection of assorted domestic items (usually low value stuff), but I'm waiting for the Xbox to drop through the door one day!

The moral, I guess, is do the best you can to do the right thing and have a clear conscience…. you might get lucky.

avdave2

Tell them and your obligations are fulfilled. , they have 3 months IIRC to organise getting it back after which it becomes yours. It isn't down to you to post it back and then wait for a refund it's down to them to organise any shipping or postage.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I have no morals at all where stuff like this is concerned. I wouldn't have even bothered to ask the question ,TBH

will
    Free Member

I'd love to say that I wouldn't tell them. However I think in reality I would have to, just because I would feel bad!

user-removed
    Free Member

Interesting mix of responses. The incident I alluded to in my 2nd post involved me going to get cash out of a supermarket cashpoint. There was already £200 sticking out of the slot and the previous user had gone. I took the money to the customer help desk (figured some poor old dear might starve if I kept the cash).

I handed it in and the woman behind the desk quickly stashed it under the desk, saying thanks very much.

After getting my shopping, I went back to the desk and asked if I didn't have to fill in a form or make some kind of record of the lost cash. The woman very reluctantly pulled a book out and wrote in my name and number – she said if no-one had claimed it in three months I'd get to keep it.

Three months later I phoned the supermarket and got totally fobbed off – apparently, there is no lost property book at the desk I'd been to – that woman must have just kept it. 👿

Thus my current dilemma – obviously there's no excuse for behaving dishonestly and one person's cr@p behaviour doesn't justify my behaving in the same way, but…..

molgrips
    Free Member

Tell them. The world is far short of people who are willing to do the right thing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Moral Dilemma #144 Poss Free Stuff Content’ is closed to new replies.