Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Mora Unisex Knives.
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

Why do Mora describe some of their knives as ‘unisex’? Is there something gender specific about knives?

(Negative points to anyone mentioning Bobbit.)

convert

anthropometrics/ergonomics of the handle?

As an aside I used a left handed sushi knife the other day (blade ground on the other side) and it was a revelation. One of those things I didn’t think I wanted/needed until I tried it.

Cougar

As an aside I used a left handed sushi knife the other day (blade ground on the other side) and it was a revelation.

I have a left-handed bread knife and was similarly revealed. For years I just thought I was crap at cutting, now no more triangular slices.

slowoldman

I would imagine is something driven by the sales and marketing department. Is it black with pink highlights?

molgrips
    Free Member

Are normal bread knives not symmetrical then?

convert

Are normal bread knives not symmetrical then?

(Mostly) Nope – serrations are usually on the right hand side only. Wife and I are both left handed and whilst I manage fine with a conventional bread knife she is rubbish. I think my wrists are just stronger to compensate for the twist. I’ve offered her daily wrist strength training exercises but she is having none of it!

chewkw
    Free Member

convert – Member
    I’ve offered her daily wrist strength training exercises but she is having none of it!

You need to provide incentives. 😆

Blade grounded on one side is also easier to sharpen by hand using whetstone. 😛

CountZero

Any kitchen knife with a good long blade and a properly sharp edge will cut bread, the serrations are there to help those who can’t maintain a good edge.
    I’ve got a pair of Ikea knives in the kitchen, pretty cheap with blue plastic handles, one has a serrated blade, but that’s the only difference, and because any knife that wasn’t hidden away would end up blunt very quickly due to the abuse dished out by my folks, I always used the serrated one for crusty loaves.
    Now I’m on my own I set to sharpening them using the Lansky kit I bought at the knife show, and the normal edge knife will now happily slice through a crusty Tiger loaf with no more effort than the serrated one.

nealglover
    Free Member

(Mostly) Nope – serrations are usually on the right hand side only.

If your knife is serrated on the right hand side only, then it’s designed for left handed use.

convert

If your knife is serrated on the right hand side only, then it’s designed for left handed use.

Interesting. Yes, you are correct – lefties specific ones have the serrations on the right according to left hand orientated shops. So does ours but ours is a bog standard £12 Kitchen devil thing from Tesco – definitely not lefty specific. Odd. Wife must just be rubbish!

Sushi knives are definitely ground on the side of the handedness though.

nealglover
    Free Member

Interesting. Yes, you are correct – lefties specific ones have the serrations on the right according to left hand orientated shops. So does ours but ours is a bog standard £12 Kitchen devil thing from Tesco – definitely not lefty specific. Odd.

I’m a “righty” and Both my (really old) Sabatier bread knives are serrated on the right only. And I’m shockingly bad with those and never use them.
    But the unbranded one I always use is serrated on the left and I can cut perfectly with it.

None of them were sold or marked as left or right handed.

akira

When cutting loafs turn them upside down and cut them. Usually much better slices result.

slowoldman

OK I’m confused now. My Sabatier bread knife is serrated on the right (as above), Sabatier serrated veg knife is serrated on the left. I’m not aware either were sold as right/left handed.

BTW my bread knife works perfectly. OH slices bread upside down, I don’t.

chewkw
    Free Member

Single bevel knife illustration …

Swelper
    Free Member

Why is cutting bread and left handed knives Unisex ?

Cougar

Thread drift.

chip
    Free Member

Once when asked by a friends mom to fix something, what I can’t remember. I asked her if she had any needle nose pliers. After explaining what they were she went away to the kitchen and came back with a set.
    Then asked what I had called them again and was suprised that that was what they were called as she had always thought they were woman’s pliers.

Back to the knives can only imagine thickness of handles could make a difference gender specific wise as woman generally have smaller hands

Drac

Interesting as mine is on the right and they were not sold as either left or right hand knives, it cuts the bread fine.

nealglover
    Free Member

Interesting as mine is on the right and they were not sold as either left or right hand knives, it cuts the bread fine.

Mine too.

But sellers of knives specifically for lefties say that the bevel should be on the right for lefties.

#snakeoil 🙂

chip
    Free Member

Does the bread know which side the bevel is on and which hand you are using?

Drac

If it’s artisan bread then yes.

giantalkali
    Free Member

What knife for turmeric?

Drac

Mediterranean Turmeric or Persian?

manton69

From most of their products they can be lector right handed. I am not ware of any unisex models, but could let me know which model you are on about.

(sorry to drag the thread back on track 🙂 )

nealglover
    Free Member
    technicallyinept
    Free Member

Take a look at the Mora website, the only ‘unisex’ things on there are a few t-shirts.

CountZero

Cougar – Moderator
    Thread drift.

Is that like continental drift?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

whilst I manage fine with a conventional bread knife she is rubbish

Cockney?

unovolo
    Free Member

You know you can buy pre-sliced bread, no need for a bread knife then.
    On the other hand what about butter knives

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Mora Unisex Knives.’ is closed to new replies.