Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Moors valley singletrack
  • porkandbeef74
    Free Member

Morning all,
    I am used to riding in the surrey hills (Barry, yoghurt pots etc) but moved away from the area, anyone know if the singletrack at moors valley is any good/ comparable? Difficult to tell the gradient from YouTube clips. Thanks

Legoman
    Free Member

I’m not familiar with the Surrey Hills but Moors Valley is pretty much flat

It’s good fun to blast around for a couple of laps though and there’s a skills area with some jumps and a pump track

M1llh0use
    Free Member

difficult to tell gradient – because there is very little!

not bad when blasting round at top speed at night (when there’s no kids or families before anyone starts…)

faustus

It’s an alright piece of singeltrack – ride it fast for most fun, very little gradient, and not in the least bit technical. Worth a go, and there’s hidden trails across the road to the north of Verwood, if you fancy getting lost a bit…

seanole
    Free Member

Surrey hills Rocks. Moors valley okay for 20 min blast on flat trail. Family friendly in comparison to Surrey. Purbecks, wareham forest, canford heath for more technical minded.

porkandbeef74
    Free Member

Surrey hills do indeed rock, not been able to find anything comparable near Winchester/basingstoke except for swinley. Headed back to the hills this weekend for some much needed excitement. If anyone knows anything up my way just point me in the right direction. Tried out blackwood and micheldever forest but nothing decent.

lucien

OP, welcome to the New Forest…..no really, I mean you are welcome to it, take it, it’s yours, no problem….

In all seriousness, if you haven’t got a lightweight xc bike, hard tail, rigid or CX bike, you will do after you have lived here for a bit – you can get some serious mileage in, improve your cardio fitness, but you won’t shredding the gnarr anytime soon. If you want a bit more gravity, head to Dorset (puddle town woods, uk bike park or the purbecks)….

DT78
    Free Member

Moores valley is good if you are local, as there is bugger all worth shouting about local. I will investigate verwood secret trails but I imagine they won’t be anything special. LW in Southampton is my stomping ground, again good fun if you are local, though a bog at the moment. QECP down Portsmouth way is a good ride, where I go when it’s dry to train for races, pretty lethal I the wet. Swinley is good for an all weather blast though now seems to be more popular than ever. I got there 9am on a sat and had trouble parking!

dobo
    Free Member

Hey porkandbeef, where are you based? reason i ask is blackwood & micheldeaver is near me and your right its not too good but there are a couple of trails scattered about… not worth the visit unless local

Farley mount area is a little better, total mud fest at the moment like everywhere else with lots of trees down. was there today..
    also check out lordswood in southampton, non of these areas compare to surrey hills or swinley but good enough for local riding.

xterramac
    Free Member

If your from the Surrey Hills, your best bet is to go to Swanage. They love fat bike weirdos 😛

porkandbeef74
    Free Member

Xterramac have you been following me?

Dobo, I live in North Waltham. Would be grateful for any tips or a guide. I have been to Lordswood but not for cycling, work not too far away in Eastleigh. Farley mount has been recommended too. Any help gratefully received. In the meantime I will be taking my fat arse back up to peaslake tomorrow for several hours in a vain attempt to shed the pounds gained from sampling more than 12 varieties of ale in various quantities over the festive period. I can recommend whitstable ale from faversham brewery, slips down quicker than Bangkok hostess but with slightly less balls.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

the good thing about MVCP is that it’s an all weather surface and doesn’t trun into mush at the first sign of rain (like most other places are at the moment)

thomthumb
    Free Member

seen this?

Hampshire Riding

scottfitz
    Free Member

North Waltham is not very close to moors valley 😕
    swinley, minley & tunnel hill are all with in 30mins. Or am I thinking of a different New Waltham

porkandbeef74
    Free Member

No it’s about an hour away. Not as close as swinley but was due to take the wife and baby there and was ever the optimist about squeezing in a cheeky one. If it’s no good then might as well spend the hours drive hearing to surrey. Never heard of minley or tunnel hill, any good ?

dobo
    Free Member

North Waltham not too far away from me at all at Wonston. If you can do 20 miles or so at a reasonable pace and fancy a loop of farley and surrounding area i can show you. You may want to go back to surrey after that lol. Its mostly bridleway type riding.

porkandbeef74
    Free Member

Cheers dobo, not sure I could do 20 miles but might be ok if it’s not too many big climbs! Will let you know how I get on this weekend as haven’t been out in a while.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Moors valley singletrack’ is closed to new replies.