• This topic has 24 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Pyro.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Moors to Shores roll call, next weekend….who's in?
  • MrCrushrider
    Free Member

I am!

Running my niner emd, rigid carbon forks, 38mm G-Ones and a lowest gear of 34/40. Taking a camelback I think, not sure 1ltr (2 500ml bottles) will last me between feed stops.

Getting excited/nervous now,especially as it’s windy as heck at the minute!

So who’s in? And what set up are you running?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

No one?

Pyro

I’ll be there, but you’ll likely not see me. I’ll be out in the middle of nowhere with the event radio kit.

skeletor

I’m going. Can’t decide which bike to take – Genesis Latitude 29er or Croix De Fer. I think I might appreciate lower gears on 29er when I’m knackered. Probably doing long ride. Any thoughts?

Pyro

There’s a fairly nasty tarmac climb back into the forest towards the end – Wrench Green, if anyone knows it – the lowest gear you’ve got* would be helpful for that. For most of it, the CdF would be better.

*That said, walking is the lowest gear you’ve got, really.

marrv
    Free Member

Should be fun. might take some bin bags for the weather though.
    riding an old rigid 26″ with proper knoblies. Set off middle to back last year all casual. It was soooo slippy. just funny scrabbling around and watching others scrabbling around until you get out onto the moor.

marrv
    Free Member

Oh, and did long one with camel back as bottles get minging.
    38/34 rode up everthing no probs.
    that tarmac climb into the forest near end is hilarious.
    wish i was not driving after as the pubs look nice on the way round.

tomhoward

I’ll be there, With a bit of luck it’ll be s shakedown ride for my new bike, though ardent and ardent race tyres might have to be upgraded to shorty/beaver combo if it’s rubbish weather up to the day.

30-50 lowest gear, so that shouldn’t be an issue 😀

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

50! Pretty sure that’s cheating!!

Don’t blame you….

cuyahoga
    Free Member

I’m there too. Not exactly a hard decision as to the bike I’m taking, as a 29er HT is all I’ve got.

Did the Peak District Pioneer and Lakeland Monster Miles last year. Anyone got opinions on how this compares…?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

me, maybe, was meant to be a shakedown ride for me/bike for the dirt reiver, but its not panned out that way, and my mtb is sans wheels, so looks like ill be on the wifes Open, which is not ideal

tomhoward

50! Pretty sure that’s cheating!!

Don’t blame you….

It was that or the ebike 😈

Pyro

Dirtyrider – what wheel size do you need? If they’re 29ers, I can potentially lend you a set for the day if needed.

Cuyahoga – Easier than Monster Miles, most likely. Harder than Peaks, though – less old railway (though the Cinder Track down the coast is old railway, there is a bit of gradient on it, especially up to Ravenscar)

cuyahoga
    Free Member

Thanks for that Pyro. Hope I don’t see or hear from you next week (in the nicest possible way) but thanks for being there with the radios…

Pyro

No worries, enjoy it! Hopefully we get decent weather.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Dirtyrider – what wheel size do you need? If they’re 29ers, I can potentially lend you a set for the day if needed.

thanks, her Open is adequately equipped (and my Open is not actually built, i have all the parts, just no hubs & spokes) just should have had the gravel machine up and running but ive not even bought a frame 😆 🙄

GHill

I won a free entry to this. Assuming it all comes through in time I’ll be riding my Genesis CdF. Two water bottles, some snacks in my back pockets and a small saddle bag should see me right.

GHill

How did folks get on?

I thought I was going to conquer the tarmac climb towards the end, but had to dismount to let a car past (honest, guv!)

marrv
    Free Member

Very pleasant ride. set off a bit late but we were not rushing.
    Weather was amazing. Rode every bit of it. No way I was walking in my new shoes. In fact. I might do it again soon but adding detours to beaches. Road climb out of Robin hoods Bays should be a fun addition.
    Thanks again to all the lonely marshals.

tomhoward

I enjoyed it in a way that reminded me of MTBing from when I first started riding, and also why I’m glad trail centres and bike parks now exist.

cuyahoga
    Free Member

It’s probably the most crossbike-friendly of these Adventurecross rides that I’ve done so far – except I’m on a 29er hardtail 🙄 I was glad to get into the singletrack in the forest and be able to shout “rider coming through” to the lycra-clad types, if only for a teensy bit of mental payback! Much less gradient than either the Pioneer or Monster Miles, but that tarmac climb at Wrench Green was a killer, just like Pyro warned. Anyone who was there will recognise this view, if they turned back at the top.

One 2017 finisher’s medal hanging up in the kitchen, three more to go. Looking forward to the Peak District Pioneer in a few weeks …

mesh

My pig-headed determination to clean that evil tarmac climb was a definite contributing factor to me nearly having a mental breakdown trying to drag myself up the long last gravel incline to Adderstone. Also a stark realisation that I am woefully underprepared for DR later this month…

Very well organised event though I thought, may have a go at another.

rallybiker
    Free Member

I enjoyed it! My H/T had to go to the shop after the Snowdonia MTB Challenge the week before this with a dodgy lockout, so I used my gravel bike.. lucky decision! I’m going to put an entry in for the Peak District Pioneer and use the MTB.

tomhoward

Was a toss up for me between mtb (29er FS 100mm) and a gravel/adventure bike.

Glad I picked the mtb. Will be picking the mtb for peak pioneer, that I’ve just entered…

Pyro

Glad you all enjoyed it! I waved at a few people from my little tent a couple of kms beyond the Splash and Dash, enjoying the mainly sunny day out on the hill.

Peaks should be a good ride, the longish sections on the old railway trails (High Peak/Monsal/Tissington) favour the crossers, but again, there’s sections where people might appreciate the MTB. I’ll be out there again somewhere!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Moors to Shores roll call, next weekend….who's in?’ is closed to new replies.