Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Moon on a stick- touring bike
  • alwillis

So my mum is just reaching “middle age” and is having a “crisis”. In her youth she rode a Dawes galaxy all over the UK and Europe and loved it. So she went out and got herself a new Dawes Vantage. After throwing away the drop bars she’s decided it’s great, but not as light or fast as she would like.

So, if you wanted a bike to do some light touring (no more than 2 panniers), with a flat, riser or butterfly bar, that was also pretty light, what would you get?

Budget not too much of an issue, so for an idea I had a look at a couple of the Planet X flat bar urban options, but do they take guards and a proper rack? My next thought was maybe something Ti for the comfort side of things? Any other ideas?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Would a Whyte Stirling be worth a look?

If she’s just carrying a couple of lightish panniers, sporty hybrid stuff with a bit of tyre clearance might be better than something that’s marketed as a tourer – which does tend to be an excuse to make a rather hefty bike. My mother has an old Dawes and a modern Specialized flat-bar roadbike. She likes the idea of the Dawes, but it weighs a tonne…

alwillis

That Whyte looks like what I was thinking of- will check it out.

I agree on the weight thing- surely you can travel further and faster for less effort if you had a lighter bike!

flowerpower
    Free Member

Might be worth speaking to Spa Cycles if you are anywhere near Yorkshire. They have a Ti tourer and are generally happy to personalise the build.

HERE

cookeaa

I quite like the Idea of a Thorn Mercury (853 frame) with BB7s, a Rohloff, and Butterfly bars… doubt I could afford it though…

That Mark Beaumont fella uses a Koga for his little jaunts doesn’t he? Aluminium so I think they are light-ish…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Is another Dawes Galaxy out of the running? Although believe the older ones are better. There’s a whole load of audax bikes suitable for light touring.

alwillis

@Malvern Rider not at all, I just promised a search for alternatives (and an not really an expert in this area).

Thanks for the suggestions, any more?

Lionheart
    Free Member

Not Moon on a Stick, I have a Rouke they made in 531 that fits that and Thorn have a range worth looking at.

luddite
    Free Member

Spa cycles Ti Audax with flat bars.

hillsplease

What about a Sabbath? Ti, from Macclesfield and I very much like mine – the Bikeshak in Altrincham even did me some good wheels (Hope 36 hole rear, Pro 3/ CXP 33 front)) in the RRP because they’re ace and I’ve been going there for a bit, or just to make me get out of the shop.

Either way – a top result and they do ‘test bikes,’ which certainly convinced me. Apparently there’s a disc braked version in prototype rolling around too, in case your Ma is thinking bigger loads and hills. Either way – nice ‘problem’ to have!

scotroutes

Van Nicholas Amazon – or maybe something else from their range (Pioneer?)

MoreCashThanDash

The Luddite has it.

If not their Ti Audax their tourers come in a bigger range of sizes

midlifecrashes

Giant Dash looks like it would fit the bill. Flat bar road bike with mudguards and rack possible. Fit a nice narrow rack like a Tortec Velocity and it’ll feel a million miles away from a full on carry the kitchen sink tourer, but still be more than capable of getting from B&B to YHA with a couple of changes of clothes.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Moon on a stick- touring bike’ is closed to new replies.