Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Moon on a stick – suggestions for place to assemble some friends, Dales perhaps
  • NZCol

Following prior thread, will be back in the UK for a few weeks in Aug/Sept. Wanting to get a few people together somewhere for some walking, riding, beer, wine and food. Criteria are:
    1) Accomodation options nearby
    2) Good pub for food and ale
    3) Walking biking etc
    4) Somewhere to park my VW California !
    Was thinking, location wise Yorkshire Dales could work as middle ground for north vs south. Riding doesn’t have to be uber hardcore as i will only have a Cx bike with me !! Its more social than hardcore outdoor activity.

Kahurangi

Dales MTB Centre? They’ve a decent accommodation setup and good weather-proof riding from the door. Won’t be too dull on an MTB, won’t be too hardcore on a CX.

Don’t know about the pub in the village but shouldn’t be too hard to find a good one.

montylikesbeer
    Harry_the_Spider

Been to all of these. All should do the job.

Dales MTB
    Reeth YHA
    Chapel le Dale bunk barn
    Dalesbridge (Austwick)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mountaineering Club huts are normally worth a look for more basic stuff. Some camping barns in the lakes too

scaled
    Free Member

Depends how many of you there are, there’s a bunk barn in Halton gill that sleeps nearly 40 and is one of the most beautiful places in the dales and has a couple of places to lock your bikes indoors (maybe not 40 of them)

http://haltongillbunkbarn.co.uk

We’ve got it booked out for the tdf next year as its going past 🙂

Nick

We got together in Malham a year or two ago, 10 of us stayed in the Youth Hostel in two rooms. Pubs were good, nice riding and walking near by.

Another option is one of the local authority outdoor centers, like Hinning House in the Duddon Valley, we’re off there on Friday for a long weekend with about 30 family and friends.

http://www.lakelandoutdoorcentres.com/

gusamc
    Free Member

I used this for Quantocks

http://www.independenthostelguide.co.uk/

mt
    Free Member

Dales Bike Centre, you’d be mad not to give them a call. Just what you are looking for. Stu will let you park your van. Good pub close by and in Reeth. Also great rides of all types, road, cx and for the MTB.

mt
    Free Member

NZcol, should also add that I’d be have to show you around some trails.

nbt

Malham’s worth a look – YHA, Pubs, camping, great location

fasthaggis

Another vote for Malham ,used the YHA there a lot over the years and it has been spot on.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Fully recommend Grinton Lodge YHA it has Pods, rooms and food oh and beer. A pub, the bridge inn, 1/2 a mile down the road and 1/2 a mile further on the Dales bike centre.
    Our club just spent the weekend there 40 catered for no problem.
    Oh and I parked my VW Van in the car park for free and used the washing/shower facilities.

mt
    Free Member

That 200 yds from the Bridge Inn to the Dales Bike Centre is a bit short for half a mile. Grinton Lodge YHA is indeed a good spot but it’s a b..tard climb after to much beer. Cold on a windy day also, good for rides though.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

If yopu go to Dales mtb centre use the pubs in the village, the one on the bridge is snooty and expensive.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

mt – Member

That 200 yds from the Bridge Inn to the Dales Bike Centre is a bit short for half a mile. Grinton Lodge YHA is indeed a good spot but it’s a b..tard climb after to much beer. Cold on a windy day also, good for rides though.

OK its a 1/4 of a mile to the Dales Centre from the pub but it is indeed over 2 miles back to the Hostel from the pub, however it is only 1/2 a mile to the pub from the Hostel.
    Weird ?

Edit:- BTW The Bridge inn is a very nice pub, unless you are a low life 😉

mt
    Free Member

Hey Potatohead, you must be a regular at the Bridge Inn. No perhaps your not.

NZCol

Thank you all very much, there is a solution in that list somewhere !

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

About 8 yes since I’ve been here but was fantastic, middle of no where. Will even get you a barrel of beer in for your own private bar.

http://www.swarthghyll-farm.co.uk/htm/Bunk_Barns.html

ElShalimo

Low Row bunkbarn?

NZCol

I’ll have a look at all the options and then put it out to the masses. We mainly can’t face trying to see everybody all over the place and basing ourselves somewhere easy to get to and attractive helps corral a few peeps together. Otherwise its 3 weeks of driving !

mt
    Free Member

Good luck and your holiday goes well.

tadpole
    Free Member

It’s about 1/4 mile from the hostel to the pub in the village, descending is great, but coming back up…! Mind once your here you have the advantage of altitude to start your ride! Stu’s Bike centre is about 200 yds from the pub, and it’s level! Bridge inn is fine, good food and nice surroundings, or if you want a more of a drinking pub, try the Buck or the Black Bull in Reeth.

Ian, Grinton YHA

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Moon on a stick – suggestions for place to assemble some friends, Dales perhaps’ is closed to new replies.