Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Moon on a stick sat nav add on?
  • ulysse
    Free Member

I have a double din Pioneer ICE head unit on the car, it does the usual shiz like reversing camera Mp4 fillums and what not, but what i’m wondering, is there a device like some kind of Android or IOs box with AV outs where i can run the Tom Tom go app and feed it through the screen?

On my van the built in sat nav has overspeed as well as camera/ schools/ blackspots alerts, and id like something integrated as such on the car, without a standalone unit stuck to the screen inviting every tom dick and harry to break in to me wheels

CountZero

Units with CarPlay and/or the Android equivalent can show certain apps on the screen , but the number of apps that have the appropriate permissions are limited at the moment, AFAIK, it would be really handy if the Tomtom app could just pop up on the screen, but I don’t think it’s possible just now.
    There are lots of changes coming in iOS 11, not sure if it’ll be opened up to a wider range of 3rd party apps having access to CarPlay, would be excellent of it does.
    Android, I have no idea.
    TBH, using satnav every day, for considerable periods of time, I’m personally not sure about having the display in the dash, I prefer having it in the bottom centre of the screen, where it’s in my periferal vision, so I only have to look slightly left to be able to double-check the directions at less obvious junctions, so even when I have a car with inbuilt satnav I stick my phone on a mount on the windscreen and run my own TomTom app, I’m just more comfortable using it that way, but I’m under time constraints as part of my job.
    Nothing like courier drivers are, though!
    Why don’t you just buy a £1.99 suction screen mount and use an app on your phone, connecting the phone to either the head unit or USB/12v accessory, then you won’t go leaving it in the car. That’s what I do, both as part of my job, and in personal time, with a large screened smartphone the display is as informative as a standalone satnav, my team leader has a TomTom, and its identical in every way to the app I use on my phone, the screen mounts I use are so cheap as to be almost consumables, in case I break one or leave one behind by accident, I buy three or four at a time.
    You dotake your phone with you, don’t you?
    HUD’s are the ideal, and they’re available running via BT from a phone, but they ain’t cheap!

ulysse
    Free Member

The phone did everything in the old van, mounted at eye level, the new van has built in eye level Tomtom carminat and its insanely brilliant, phone never leaves my pocket, Bluetooth picks up calls as soon as it pairs on ignition on.
    Nav runs in the background even if no route is programmed, providing speed camera, overspeed, accident blackspots, schools proximity and other alerts by audibly cutting any media playing and sounding a warning

The car however is used by the mrs for running the shop, she does deliveries as part of the service, so it’s constantly in and out of action , I do know from experience that mounting a phone in any kind of holder and booting a nav app every ten minutes will soon get old, I was hoping a nav app could be hardwired to the headunit to run in background at ignition on, as the Carminat does.
    Looks like I’m going to have to put my hand in my pocket and find a Renault without the keyless or key card system, as the last time I bought her a megane she couldn’t get on with the system, I spent more time being called out to reset the immobiliser that’s she’d confused the shit out of almost daily! Sold it within a month!

ulysse
    Free Member

Looks like the newer pioneers have such a feature as you describe, cheaper than a new car, and besides she loves this Peugeot and wouldn’t like to see the back of it

simon_g

Kenwood DMX-7017DABS (about £400) would be where my money would go. Carplay, Android Auto and DAB radio.

Note no CD/DVD drive on those though if that would be a problem for you.

There’s finally a beta of Waze running via Android Auto so hopefully not far off a final release of that.

ulysse
    Free Member

The Pio i have now is mechless, physical media is Stone age technology as far as im concerned!

The Kenwood would be ideal it would be able to canbus dongle in to my steering wheel controls

CountZero

This is all waaaaay beyond my meagre experience with modern car infotainment systems, TBH; I have so little time to explore the finer details that I only hope the system will play well with my phone if I connect it to the USB port.
    I’ve discovered that Peugeot and Citroen systems are bloody hopeless, they will randomly stop and start tracks, skip them, then just jump back to where they started, which is unbelievably frustrating when you’re on a long drive, and all there is on the radio is FM that can barely hold onto a chosen station for more than ten minutes.
    Remind me, which century are we living in again?

mrhoppy

Does anyone break in for a sat Nov now? Every **** has one, it’s not much beyond breaking in for a paper diary.

ulysse
    Free Member

It’s Salford, mate, ‘Nuff sed 😛

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Moon on a stick sat nav add on?’ is closed to new replies.