Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Moon on a stick? Road/cx do it all bike or frame please.
  • TomB

Hi all

I’m not allowed to expand the total bike count, but:
    1) would like a cross bike for fun and commute (not cx racing)
    2) have a dull and old road bike that was nothing special when new I could get shot of.

But, I really enjoy hilly road rides round here (north Lakes), so was hoping for a 1 bike to rule them all solution, where I can get a second pair of lightweight disc wheels for road rides to go with a disc equipped, fun on the road cx bike. Happy to build from frameset if required, budget maybe £1500 full bike before second wheelset?

Is it possible? Show me yours!

rOcKeTdOg

Cotic X, commute, tour and off road mine

druidh
    Free Member
    cyclistm
    Free Member

druidh beat me too it

TomB

Ok, nice thread, so which of this wide choice will ride as close as possible to a decent (relatively light) road bike with suitable wheels? Ta!

nick3216
    Free Member

Il Pompino

Bregante

My money would go on something like this. £1499!

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOODDRIV/on_one_dirty_disco_cyclocross_rival

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

**** knows, but dont get something made of steel. You want Carbon or Alu. Try and find one with the shortest chainstays you can, the longer stays tend to make them feel a bit sluggish on the climbs.

On One do a full carbon one with Sram Rival for £1500

crazy-legs

Another vote for the Cotic X.

If you want something off the peg then:
    Specialized Tricross Elite Disc
    Genesis Vapour Disc

cynic-al
    Free Member

Short stays for sure.

sam_underhill

I’m very interested in this thread, want both a road bike and a cross bike, but might make do with one that can do both. So, a short chain stayed cross bike might bevthd compromise? Any other reasons a cross bike with slicks with be significantly worse than a dedicated road bike? And then with clip on aero bars for (very) amateur triathlon?

crazy-legs

Any other reasons a cross bike with slicks with be significantly worse than a dedicated road bike?

There’s two or three guys turn up at the local crits with roadified CX bikes, they seem to do OK.

I did the Fred Whitton Challenge on my CX bike – road tyres, flipped the stem to give it a lower position and it worked very well, the lower gears and powerful canti brakes were a godsend on the hills.

TomB

The Fred covers my local terrain, and the descents are one of the reasons I’m looking at this for the benefit of discs. Cheers for all the input so far, the rose looks nice, or the carbon on-one too. ROSE quote 9.2kg, how much would a set of reasonable (£300ish?) road wheels drop this by, do you think?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Quite a bit I reckon. Hope Pro 3 hubs are a fair bit lighter than XT’s for example. Then obviously Conti GP4000’s tyres will weight at least half as much as those cross tyres, and lighter tubes aswell.

jonba
    Free Member

I ride both a focus mares (cx) and a focus cayo (road). The mares is heavier the gearing setup differently and the brakes not as nice (cantis) but otherwise it is perfectly capable on the road. Did 85 miles on it last weekend as it is set up as a winter road bike now the cx season is over.

No reason why a cx bike with slicks can’t be used very happily on the road.

Cheap wheels are normally around the 1.9kg mark. Lightest I’ve seen for £300 is the RS80 and these are 1.5kg

A lighweight set of road tyres might save you 100g per wheel and a set of road tubes 50g per wheel. Save the rest of your money, it won’t make much difference.

rp16v
    Free Member

i was in the same boat and a road bike but wanted to get off road on my way home also doing small triathlons and abit of light touring
    i ended up with a old (canti spec) tri-cross its lovley and light with a comfey position,i have noticed tho the size has come up abit big for a 54cm so make sure u try some and check the geo specs.

sam_underhill

Awesome. CX and two sets of wheels it is 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Moon on a stick? Road/cx do it all bike or frame please.’ is closed to new replies.