• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by irc.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Moon On A Stick – Headtorches
  • irc

I’m wanting a headtorch for bike touring. Desired features in order of importance……

A lock of some kind to stop accidental battery drain when packed away.

Normal batteries, not rechargeable or USB chargeable.

Enough light for reading/campsite use. Running/lighting up road brightness not required.

Light weight.

Good angle adjust-ability.

Past torches have failed by suffering accidental switch on or just not being comfortable and easy to adjust in use.

Suggestions welcome.

allfankledup

Aside from the lock – Alpkit..

matt_outandabout

Just whip out the battery when during the day.

We have a household worth of Petzl cheapo’s – they work really well.
    I have a Coleman that was in a sale, but is an ace little thing. I never realised how useful a small blue LED is for reading maps/books/tent at night…yet also has a proper big beam when needed.

irc

Matt/All fankledup Thanks for suggestions but I put lock as top priority because I don’t want to be fiddling with the battery compartment every day for 6 weeks.

Devash – Thanks for Fenix suggestion. The HL15 looks like it fits the bill. It has a plastic cover that slides out to cover the buttons and prevent accidental switch on.

Otherwise – lightweight 60g before batteries. Takes 2 AAA alkalines.

8hr battery life at 30 lumen mode which should be OK for camp use. Also has 70 and 200 lumen modes though very short life. Useful maybe for sort stretch of dirt road getting to camp after dusk.

At £30 – not cheap but not pricey either.

https://www.torchdirect.co.uk/fenix-head-torches/fenix-hl15-lightweight-running-led-head-torch.html

dovebiker

Silva Trail Runner 2 – takes 3xAAA and rotating lamp head makes it very easy to adjust.

duncancallum

led lenser?

cleetonator

Petzl E-Lite?
    Tiny batteries, easy enough to carry a couple of spares.

irc

That locking system on the Colemans looks OK. The Coleman CXO+200 is another option. Bit cheaper,bit heavier than the Fenix.

So I went for the Coleman 200 and saved the £10.

johnnystorm

Neither my gamma nor viper from Alpkit have ever switched themselves on in my pack.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member
    B.A.Nana
    Free Member

TBH I’m finding it surprising that any modern LED headtorch would be accidentally turned on so often that someone would consider it their No1 priority in a headtorch. My experience is that most/all have fairly flush switches which you’d be pretty unfortunate to have this happen.

spectraken
    Free Member

For anyone looking, my recommendation would be the Black Diamond Spot, £20, small, powerful and light

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/spot-headlamp-aluminium-id_8361255.html

Can lock down power button, dimmable in both modes, runs well on AAA well on Eneloops and even better on Energizer lithiums

sofaking
    Free Member

led lenser. can unplug the cable to stop it being switched on .zoomable . variable power output. normal batteries , adjustable angle

irc

An update. Thanks to Spectraken for the Black Diamond Spot suggestion. I bought the Coleman CXO+200 but found it was a bit bulky for what I want.

Bought the Black Diamond Spot. Slightly lighter than the Coleman – 90 v 112g. Enough to feel the difference on the head when worn. Quite a bit smaller. Locks with 6 second button press. Exactly what I was after.

Currently £19.99 at Decathlon.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/spot-headlamp-aluminium-id_8361255.html

Probably stick the Coleman in the glovebox in the car as an emergency torch.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Moon On A Stick – Headtorches’ is closed to new replies.