Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Moon on a stick? Competitive CX, Winter Road, Commuting and Touring frame wanted
  • dsb181
    Free Member

After trying my hand at road races and not really enjoying it too much I think I’m going to stick with TT’s but enjoyed the race aspect so want to try my hand at CX races this Autumn & Winter.
    I’m looking to build a CX bike that would be competitive but also have other uses, commuting, winter road and light touring.

I’d run a compact group set, require the frame to have full rack and mudguard mounts but also be light enough to race competitively, it’s main duty would be for CX racing. Am I asking too much?

I’ve been looking at the Genesis Vapour as it seems to tick all the right boxes other than the chain set but this can be changed.

Is racing in CX on a compact not advised? What other bikes or frames should I be looking at?

Thanks!

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’ve done all of those things on my Vapour so erm… I suggest that.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Kinesis pro6
    http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/products/crosslight/prosix

Freeborn have a sale on them too

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Rose DX Cross Pro.

Can get a 9kg cross bike with good quality wheels, 105, disk brakes etc for £1100.
    Configurator lets you change gearing or upgrade/ swap specific parts.

Has all the mounts you want too.

Can even get Ultegra di2 and hydraulic disks. Close to £2k then though.

dsb181
    Free Member

I think Di2 package would be a little overkill for me but it’s a nice looking bike and great you can spec it how you’d like pretty much.

Any word or racing on a compact rather than 46/36 as I think that gearing would really limit me when using it on road.
    So far I think the Vapour is winning the fight.

Kahurangi

I’m following this advice with interest as I’m considering reducing my number of bikes by having one drop bar’d bike to do it all..

flap_jack
    Free Member

one drop bar’d bike to do it all..

A fat bike with an extra set of thin wheels ? Depends on what ‘all’ is…

davidjey
    Free Member

Any word or racing on a compact rather than 46/36 as I think that gearing would really limit me when using it on road.

I’ve used the cx bike as a winter road bike/audax bike a lot and most of the time I’ve left it as 36/46. I can think of about two occasions in two years where I was getting dropped downhill because I was undergeared… You’d only need a spare 50T chainring if it bothers you much.

EDIT: I would definitely rather use 36/46 on the road than 34/50 in a cx race. On a lot of courses that would be ‘falling between two stools’ gearing – you’d could end using nothing much but up the top of your cassette in the 50T, or down the very bottom of the cassette in the 34, changing from one to the other constantly…..

andyfla
    Free Member

May I point you to a life ruining thread :

Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!

Tomspriggs
    Free Member

How tall are you? I have a 52cm genesis vapour disc 2013 (green) frame and carbon fork for sale, plus some original parts to go with if it sells (cx chainset, front derailier, STI double 10spd shifters, cassette). Let me know if you are interested. Its a great bike, only I have moved to a more touring focused salsa vaya.

tonyd

@Tomspriggs, out of interest how tall are you? I’m 5’6″ and on a small Pompetamine but not really enjoying the Alfine. I’m considering a trade at some point and was thinking a Croix de Fer would be a good option, didn’t realise the Vapour had rack and guard mounts. My life wouldn’t be worth living if I brought another frame home but how much are you looking for?

bones76
    Free Member

I’m considering selling my on one dirty disco(54) either full bike or may split

Email in profile if interested

larrydavid
    Free Member

I ride a compact 34-50 in cross races. I am pretty shite at it, and mix it up somewhere in the, um, middle.

I’m never tempted to leave the 34 ring – I do though prefer a higher cadence than some other people: 90-105 rpm is my ideal.

On the road I’m pretty sure you would run out of gears on a cross compact if you like pedaling down hills or have a strong tailwind.

JustRide
    Free Member

Have a look at a Norco Threshold SL Carbon. Really light for racing and comes with hidden mounts for mudguards making it useful for winter training. Also has funky dropouts so you can run single speed if you want to. Not sure if the latest disc only models have the same versatility as the 2013 canti one

Tomspriggs
    Free Member

Hi tonyd it’s my wife’s vapour for sale : http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-genesis-vapour-cyclocross-cx-52cm-2013-alu-carbon-fork-disc-only-in-exeter

I’ll measure her tonight (!)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Mk1 On One ti ‘cross (if you can find one)
    here’s mine:

They’re bringing out a more road/tour friendly version of the Pickenflick too I believe.

Tomspriggs
    Free Member

That’s a nice looking ti on-one!

tonyd The vapour is currently for sale as a whole bike, but will consider splitting if no interest as a whole. My wife is 5’5″ and it was a tad long/low for her, so probably spot on for you!

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-genesis-vapour-cyclocross-cx-52cm-2013-alu-carbon-fork-disc-only-in-exeter

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I used a 36/46 through the winter last year. Was fine for road use. For cross racing though just leave it in the 36 apart from a sprint start.
    Medium Singular Kite frame for sale? Gosh that’s two topics so far. Better stop.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Moon on a stick? Competitive CX, Winter Road, Commuting and Touring frame wanted’ is closed to new replies.