Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Monty Python to reunite on stage
  • grizedaleforest

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24999401 I wonder if society and humour have moved on too much for a MP reunion to work (never mind that that the pythoners themselves have moved on too)

iolo
    Free Member

I love the python movies, found a few sketches from their tv shows amusing.
    Would I go and see pensioners on stage just doing it for the cash? No thanks.
    Just remeber the last Rolling Sones concert at Glastonbury – they were bloody awful.
    I feel Monty Python will be the same.

binners

Someone just had a big tax bill land then?

Mind you. If people will pay good money to watch Macca do his 3rd rate Beatles tribute band routine, then frankly they’ll pay to watch any old dredged up crap

SaxonRider

MP makes a better memory than actual experience, I find.

I tried re-watching the Holy Grail (a movie I had practically memorised as a spotty adolescent) with a friend who had never seen it. Having built it up with him, we both just sat there staring at the screen when it was on.

His response afterward?

‘I think it would have been funny if I had have been high.’

Bimbler
    Free Member

Nothing ages as badly as comedy or indeed “comedians”, how many “older” comedians are still funny?

Harry_the_Spider

John Cleese needs to stop getting divorced.

khani
    Free Member

At the time it was groundbreaking stuff, though there was quite a bit of not funny self indulgent tedious crap mingled in as well..
    They were a bit like the Rock’n’Roll of comedy, it wasn’t all fantastic but they changed people’s attitudes to what you could do..

igm

Well Spamalot was good when I saw it the other year…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1by0-nkKOTs[/video]

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I laughed my arse off to Spamalot!

jon1973
    Free Member

Loved the films, but I’d say 90% of the TV stuff was terrible.

Cougar

Yeah, I loved MP and bought the DVD boxset (all the TV shows, it’s a large box).

There’s some absolute comedy gold in there but, watching them back a couple of discs at a time you realise that there was an awful lot of chaff in with the wheat. Some of the early episodes especially are shockingly bad.

alfabus
    Free Member

My problem with Monty Python is the people who like them – more specifically the people who reel of quotes of it word for word.

The ENTIRE POINT of the ‘monty python’ style was that it was irreverent and unpredictable; with large parts of the humour based on the fact that you could not possibly know what was coming next.

A DVD boxset is a bad enough antithesis of this, but a greatest hits tour will be ridiculous.

If they did some new material, that would be brilliant – but I doubt they would bother/dare to try. It would probably bomb, whereas they’d get rapturous applause for dishing out the dead parrot sketch by rote.

Dave

khani
    Free Member

There’s nothing more tedious that being stuck in a room with a load of MP fans, before long random quotes start happening and and it turns into a ‘who can randomly quote MP’ competition..
    nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition
    excuse me this parrot is dead
    RUNAWAAAAYRUNAWAAAY
    Kill me now… 🙁

edlong
    Free Member

If they did some new material, that would be brilliant – but I doubt they would bother/dare to try. It would probably bomb, whereas they’d get rapturous applause for dishing out the dead parrot sketch by rote.

Agreed – it’s a bit like the old bands, isn’t it? Springsteen, or Macca, or the Strolling Bones might well have a new album when they tour, but hardly anyone wants to hear it – they’re there for the hits. Must be a bit crap for the performers, I always think.

I’d be staggered if there’s any new material to speak of, maybe at best they’ll shoehorn a few vaguely topical references into “classic” routines – or knowingly subvert expectations – I saw footage of one benefit type show where they did the parrot sketch, but he immediately acknowledged that it was dead and offered a refund.

I think for those criticising the material from a 2013 perspective as not funny, it reminds me of comments a few weeks ago on a music thread about Macca and the Beatles – the material isn’t as important as it is simply because of it’s intrinsic qualities, but for it’s impact, and to understand that you have to see it in its historical context.

Much as you don’t have to enjoy listening to Beatles albums to appreciate the momentous effect they had on popular culture in their day, you don’t have to find the Spanish Inquisition skit hilarious to appreciate the role MP had in moving on conceptions of what was possible in the field of television comedy, when you look at sitcoms before MP, and then think about stuff that came after.

hora
    Free Member

Anyone see the press conference on BBC news this lunchtime? 😀

Pls re-enact the Knights who say nii!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asUyK6JWt9U[/video]

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

the O2 allegedly can hold 20,000 people. No idea how the tickets are split between the 26 quid ones and 95 quid (1.9M versus 520k) but either way it’ll pay off their mortgages and shuffle them to retirement nicely.

I think it’ll be more entertaining than strolling bones, black sabbath, or maybe even than zepplin… but not by much.

nickjb
    Free Member

Press conference was quite good fun although there were lots of mentions of making some money. Really can’t see the point of going to the O2. Unless you get really good seats you’ll only see a few dots or watch it on a big repeater screen.

chewkw
    Free Member

They should retired …

dannybgoode

I for one will go if I can get a ticket.

May be crap may be good but I certainly don’t want to miss finding out.

Cheers

Danny B

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Monty Python to reunite on stage’ is closed to new replies.