• This topic has 5 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by danielfrisk-spam.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Monthly car hire in UK?
  • krixmeister

Any thoughts on best way/place to do a monthly lease of a rental car in UK? Need to rent a car for 3-6 months – not sure if should contact Avis/Europcar/etc, or if there is a better way to do this?

satchm00
    Free Member

Contacting for quotes is best or the normal searchs on google.

http://www.carsondemand.co.uk/car-leasing-deals

br
    Free Member

Need to rent a car for 3-6 months – not sure if should contact Avis/Europcar/etc, or if there is a better way to do this?

Look at buying one maybe?

But if you need a new(ish) car, then just get some online quotes and then try ringing some smaller local companies (if you’ll settle for something older, it may be cheaper).

jambalaya
    Free Member

@krix a good friend of mine does longer term rentals. He swears by the fact that as soon as it’s 1 month or 31 days the price goes up a lot so he rents for 3 weeks and then calls for an extension. He also switches companies. I assume this is because the insurance for a long term rental is much higher. Your other advantage is you can rent from a local supplier (or at least check prices), there is a company near me Kendall’s which is much cheaper than the major rental outfits.

Another “off the wall” suggestion is to contact some car dealers, they may be able to do a short term lease.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Pretty sure you’ll be an unusual customer, most people are aiming to rent for either short term, <14days, or much longer, ie year+.

All the websites for places like hertz etc are geared up for very short term rentals, ie <14days. It would be worth ringing their national number. Also worth popping in, I know hertz (prob others too) have flexibility on pricing, but only if you talk to them not go via the web.

Not an expert at long term, I only ever do <7days, but my guess is that from the big companies you’d be looking at £10+/day. Interestingly, lots of that is insurance, and I believe (though not done it myself) that you can get separate insurance. Think moneysavingexpert is worth a browse.

Also think outside of the box, know any friends with a spare car on the drive etc. And definitely worth considering buying.

krixmeister

Thanks for comments and suggestions. I’m already on the Google route (hence a lot of the usual car rental companies come up), but was wondering if there was a better way to do this which did not involve purchase. Key issues are a) coming from overseas, and b) this is a short-term deal, so don’t want to hassle with inspection&purchase/insurance/maintenance/final sale/etc.

Will contact a few dealers, and call up the usual car rental agencies for quotes. If any other ideas, much appreciated.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Monthly car hire in UK?’ is closed to new replies.