Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • MontBlanc Pen……
  • Kbrembo
    Free Member

Parcel arrived on my desk today..

Opened it up… Nice Box with a Montblanc pen in it.

Didn’t bother about it as I ain’t a pen sort of guy.

Anyhow..gave it a google and…

Things worth over £200 !!

Who would buy a pen worth this amount?

Montblanc

Anyone want to buy it?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No, because Mont Blanc is a brand for poseurs alone.

I use Cross or vintage Parkers. (But then, I am a poseur!)

donsimon
    Free Member

For 200 quid I’d buy a better looking pen and a fountain pen at that. What do you do to get sent 200quid biros?

Kbrembo
    Free Member

I did give it a little test run but my writing did not improve!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Which one?
    How much?
    Who sent it to you and why?

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Starwalker Midnight Black Ball point
    Email me if Interested
    A supplier,because I buy and sell there product.

mrmo
    Free Member

currently using this

i wouldn’t have picked that model as a bit showy but it was free, never seen the facination with Mont Blanc. Nicer pens around

Taff
    Free Member

I have one. Was given to me by my grandfather who was given it back in the sixties

CountZero

Style’s ok, but £200 for a ball point? No chance. I’ll stick with my stainless steel Sharpie, thank you. At least it’ll write on just about anything. And it only cost $16.

saleem
    Free Member

I’ve two, bought one as a gift for the gf as part of her Xmas too, buy what you like, you could always sell it up at jolly drover

Squidlord
    Free Member

“Mont Blanc is a brand for poseurs alone”

+1. Another Cross user here.

anonymouse
    Free Member

I got one as an engagement present from the missus over ten years ago. I use it every day and think it writes beautifully, let down only by my scratty handwriting.

lipseal
    Free Member

I’ll give you £50.

Farticus

I’ve got a Mont Blanc. And a Sheaffer, a Cross, a Parker and a Waterman. None beat my old 1970s Sheaffer (sadly RIP), and the Mont Blanc isn’t worth the cash.

Best bet – a vintage Parker 51.

geetee1972
    Free Member

“Mont Blanc is a brand for poseurs alone”

LOL and of course when it comes to mountain bikes we’re all pragmatists!

grum
    Free Member

Clearly Mont Blanc isn’t a niche enough pen brand for STW.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Best bet – a vintage Parker 51.

A class choice.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I got 3 ‘Mont Blanc’ pens for $5 in Shanghai market.

Dad has a real one. I had to sign something for him so wound him up a treat – took out my ‘Mont Blanc’, pretended it had run out, chucked it in the bin and produced a 2nd one. His face was a picture!

bakey

I use a Pelikan daily

16stonepig
    Free Member

I got given one by our CEO as congratulations for completing some bit of work. It says everything you need to know about him.

Would rather have had the far more practical £200.

Flaperon

I got given one by our CEO as congratulations for completing some bit of work. It says everything you need to know about him

Actually, when considered carefully it actually says everything you need to know about you.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

See Mont Blanc as in the same category as Rolex and ST Dupont, with Cross being more like Omega and Ronson (but not really Ronson)

geordiepaul
    Free Member

I have a Mont Blanc Star Walker…
    got it for my 30th, used it about 10 times too scared to let it leave the house.

aP
    Free Member

In a moment of googlemadness I’ve just discovered that Newell Rubbermaid own Berol, Parker, Waterman, rotring, Paper:Mate Sharpie and Dymo. The Berol website has a really good section about the history of pen/pencil manufacture in the UK and the background behind the various companies…
    Picks up an arriviste Tombow carbon fibre fountain pen for today’s signing of letters and things.

BoardinBob

TK Maxx selling Mont Blanc pens for £30

Cougar

It’s a different world, isn’t it. I pushed the boat out and am currently using one of these:

To be fair though, I’m a geek. If god had intended us to write stuff down he wouldn’t have given us keyboards. If I had a three figure sum to spend on a writing implement it’d probably be a Unicomp Customizer 105 or a DAS Model S Professional.

ourmaninthenorth

Dunhill Sidecar Chassis for the gentleman’s win. Tends not to leave the house.

My daily writers are a Cross Century Classic, a Lamy Vista and a Japanese only Spalding Bros. maple bodied pen.

I don’t use ballpoints or rollerballs – only fountain pens or pencils.

FPs as above. Pencils are either the classic yellow and black Staedtler Noris or my recently acquired Rotring Rapid Pro.

finbar
    Free Member

I really really want a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck, chiefly because Donna Tartt’s “The Secret History” is one of my favourite books and they get mentioned in there a few times.

bazzer
    Free Member

Hope you are going to declare it on your P11D 🙂

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Mont Blanc = architect

bagpuss72
    Free Member

I dropped my ex bosses MB pen down the side of the seat on a train down to London once and couldn’t get the blo**y thing out he just said oh don’t worry I wanted a new one anyway.

I then googled it back at the office and blanched….OMG how much.

I’d def ebay it and buy something I really wanted

Rubber_Buccaneer

aP
    Free Member

[cough] rotring 600 = architect…

Waderider
    Free Member

Just the sort of overpriced tat that boils my liquid by-products.

It’s a pen. Any comparison with the commonality of loving high end mountainbikes here-about is silly. A pen doesn’t suffer from poor handling due to excess unsprung mass, sloppy angles, or graunchy shifting, crap brakes, or inertia due to high rotating mass. A high end mountain bike is a symphony of engineering solutions.

A pen leaves a mark on paper. Function, not form please. A biro functions, a Mont Blanc is an insult to a nice mountain, and the stationery equivalent of a bottle blonde with a boob job.

(Not a bad rant for me………)

Cougar

There’s a difference, I think, between “nice thing” and “uni-directional audio cables.”

I like nice things. I’d entertain paying, oh, twenty quid say, on a nice pen, if I were so inclined as to desire such a thing. At £200, that’s beyond ‘nice pen’ and into ‘that’s a new motherboard and CPU’ territory. I can’t envisage a situation where I’d have £200 to burn on a luxury and think “yeah, a pen, that’s at the top of my list.” I can think of far better ways (for me personally) of spending a lump of that size.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I use a Mont Blanc when signing contracts, it looks better than some scabby old biro. I think it was about £400 but it’s worth it. It’s no more or less functional than a scabby old biro but it gives a professional image, and like it or not, image counts.

ourmaninthenorth

I write lots every day. I like to have nice tools for the job.

My fountain pens are worth from £15 to £350. So what? Each gives me pleasure every time it’s used.

CaptJon
    Free Member

When i left my last job i was given vouchers and a pen made sense given i write lots and it is a permanent reminder.

+ 1 Each gives me pleasure every time it’s used.

+ 1 Cross

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I had a Cross Apogee. It was rubbish. Scratchy, inconsistent and messy. Even a new nib didn’t help.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Actually, when considered carefully it actually says everything you need to know about you.

Get you!
    Actually, you would probably need a bit more background to know why it was so totally crass, so I take it back.

It’s still a ******* £200 pen…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘MontBlanc Pen……’ is closed to new replies.