Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Montane Kielder 100
  • jonny-m
    Free Member

Who’s done it, who’s doing it, HT or FS, and what your thoughts on it ?

br
    Free Member

Pack spare brake pads…, and midge repellent

jota180
    Free Member

Pack spare brake pads…, and midge repellent

lots

Bernaard
    Free Member

Do it singlespeed. After last year I said if I did it again I would do it singlespeed to save grinding your drivetrain in the Kielder paste
    X2 for the brake pads and midge repelant

neil853
    Free Member

a few mates have attempted it, all have failed and said it was horrific, no thanks.

tlr

I did it last year, and finished, but I’m in no rush to do it again; I figured about £300 worth of damage done to the bike all told just from that fine mud/paste. Fortunately the bike was nicked before I’d spent the cash replacing bits.

Fixie would be the way to do it; nothing to wear out.

It might be fun in the dry, but then you die the death of 1000 midges.

Brake pads, brake pads and more brake pads. I used 2 sets each end and was still down to metal by 70 miles.

djflexure

I personally don’t think its as bad as people are making out if you are reasonably fit (I’m no racer). Last year was a bit sh** though due to the weather, and brake pads do disintegrate when they are new in that kind of kack.
    Its mostly fireroads with bits of singletrack thrown in. Bike does not matter so much from what I’ve seen. I did it on a lightish hardtail but all manner of other bikes go round. Midges are also fine as long as you don’t camp or stop to change a tyre – do use repellent.
    Probably not going to do it again this year, but that’s because I’m having a year off this sort of thing for some reason.
    You should enjoy it.

t-p26
    Free Member

If it doesnt rain in the next few weeks it`ll be dusty as……
    Bamburgh beach

hillsplease

Brake pads * 6 I reckon. Pint of midge repellent. Need to get off to a good start or it’s a case of ‘hurry up and wait’ until about mile 20. Lots of queueing on descents which was a bit dull and the track loops onto itself causing a hoofing big log jam. You might want to take some fags for that point.

Kahurangi

I did it the year before last. Geared hardtail. Piece of p*ss.*

Didn’t have to change brake pads and didn’t do any damage to the bike except for a bit of tyre wear. Did have a face full of midges but they didn’t annoy during the race.

Next time I’d take a mosquito/midge helmet/hat thing for the evening briefing.

*Not really. Just a long ride.

paul4stones

I’ve done it all three times but I didn’t finish last year. The first year was absolutely sodden but not actually raining very heavily. I chugged round slowly and really enjoyed it, chatting to people and just having fun. The second year was dry and midgy and I went for a time. I got round in under 12hrs without too much difficulty – it was much easier than the year before although apparently they’d altered the course to put more climbing in the first half so that those who wouldn’t make it would be dissuaded earlier.

Last year was shocking. Wet on the ground and raining and that combo just wrecked everything. I had a crank that kept coming off which cost me time then got a puncture at the last moment which meant I didn’t make the 80 mile cut off. Like everyone else I used about 4 sets of pads and metal backing and my drive train was trashed. At the end there were people finishing properly knackered and these were fit blokes not fat chancers. All had eyes just showing through the mud and 1000 yard stares and could barely stand. Properly epic. I was gutted not to finish!

So it’s a tough event but is so dependent on conditions. One day later last year would have completely altered the experience as it was dy and sunny. Not sure if I’ll do it this year, I may have a better offer 🙂

richmars

Agree with above. If it’s dry, it’s a great event. Well run, great scenery (if you’re from the Fens) and a real sense of achievement. I’d do it again if I knew what the weather was going to be.

mr_stru

I started and pulled out about half way round the first year, and then got round the sunny year. Both times on a Cotic Soul. There’s loads of firetrack so unless it’s a racy full sus then I think you’d be regretting carting all the extra weight about.

If you can find someone to go round with then that’s good. I found that helped a lot in the second year as you had someone to chat to and keep your spirits up when you were struggling.

Definitely the hardest day out I’ve had on a bike but was great to actually finish it. And to know that having got round I felt no compulsion to go back and do it again 🙂

breadcrumb

I was a bout to post up about this. I have a Speicialized Pitch Pro and a Kona Kula SS. I was thinking the Kona would be better, I’d probably 1 x 9 it though. Will a 32t up front be enough? I don’t think I could SS the Kielder, I’ve done 40 mile rides happily but 100 seems beyond me tbh.

And the eternal question, what tyres?

radoggair
    Free Member

, why did you mention Kielder.

First rule about Kielder: dont talk about kielder

I’ll probably do it again for the 4th year this year, like every year i will hate every minute of it. My mind will be telling me to stop every mile, my body will ache, i will almost definately puncture at some point. The midges will eat me alive, i’ll get absolutely zero sleep the night before, because of the date change ( a week later this year), it will be just light as we start. But…………

Its a challenge that needs to be done every year! A hardtail would be fine. Last year i stil had the same brake pads as when i started altho i did go for the no braking strategy.

Its one of the hardest days riding i’ve ever done and theres only 6 weeks to go. Yikes

Oh, and before i forget its not really Kielder 100, more like Kielder 107 and those last miles are a killer

Shandy
    Free Member

I did it two years ago, did a bit of training and got round in just under 11 hours. The midges at the race briefing and in the campsite were unreal, but they weren’t too bad on the trail. Definitely get a good start, I sat back a bit and ended up surrounded by guys on supermarket specials and people who couldn’t handle the red trail. I did it on a full sus but a hardtail would be fine. The bike isn’t the most important thing, pacing yourself, minimising stops and watching your food and fluids will get most people round no problem.

fizzicist
    Free Member

Last year I finished it and was more than after doing a 24 solo.

Take brake pads. Lots. I killed £100 of pads, but that’s my fault for having flash Shimano stuff. The last set did 12 miles. Also consumed two chainrings, a cassette, a chain, brake caliper, my body…

Finished with hypothermia and conjunctivitis. It was an epic ride, but I’ve decided to move house that weekend this year as it’s cheaper than destroying a bike. I’m glad I can say I’ve done it though.

cardo

Did it last year on a FS which was overkill TBH and the conditions were awful as everyone else has mentioned…. You will need Smidge, Brake pads and a sense of humour for some of those climbs. This year we’re back because we have unfinished business with this event after not finishing it last time. It is probably the hardest thing you’ll take part in and a proper challenge. The beers afterwards taste great too.

terrahawk
    Free Member

I ran out of pads very quickly. My last set disintegrated in a few miles and I left the course on a bend and landed in some bushes.

fizzicist
    Free Member

Oh, buy a crud catcher too. It may look gay but makes a big difference to how you’ll feel.

marvincooper

My first time last year and I loved it. I do like a bit of suffering though! Didn’t do any damage to my bike (still running same chain and gears) though my v-brake blocks were down to almost nothing by the end and barely slowed me down. Great event though, really looking forward to doing it again this year. Will be on disc brakes so I guess I’d better get used to changing pads. Tyres wise I used a Crossmark on the rear and a Nobby Nick on the front (as I have done ever since) and they were fine, never really thought about the tyres. Even with all the rain there werne’t many boggy bits that I remember. If it rains it rains – it is northern Engand / Scotland after all, I for one don’t expect it to be dry!

jonba
    Free Member

2010 was nice, pleasant and enjoyable but long and tiring.

2011 was grim and destroyed my bike but I finished.

If it is dry it will be about fitness if it rains then it will be about your bike surviving. Take lots of pads, if I did it again I’d be taking two sets for dry weather and maybe 4 or 6 pairs if it is wet. Also budget for everything on your bike wearing out in the rain – cost me a fortune. I had to walk from the top of lonesome pine because I had no brakes – I think model has something to do with it – everyone I know who used Avids like me had real trouble.

I did it on a full suss as it is the lightest bike I have. My ideal bike would be a light weight 100mm full suss (not the 5″ one I used) as it is not technically difficult but comfort is nice.

At about 99 miles you hit the lake and think “all flat from here!” you then turn away from the lake and do the lonesome pine climb which is tough.

I’ve done it twice and won’t do it again for a while as it cost too much and took over my life a bit too much with all the preparations and getting fitness up.

marvincooper

I do run a cheap (Deore chainset) 8-speed transmission on my bike, it may be a bit heavy but it seems pretty much indestructible!

Drac

Last year was just horrific don’t judge it on that. Loads finish so don’t judge it one someone’s mates who couldn’t make it. It’s tough but plenty achieve it, the midges can be horrific but there’s plans again to control post race, the atmosphere is brilliant thanks to to the riders pretty much for that, you get a free beer on the Saturday. If you don’t make it so what you rode it and gave it ago and come along for the craic and a laugh.

See you there.

marvincooper

I’d forgotten the free beer at the end! Another reason to look forward to it!

jonba
    Free Member

I wore out the jockey wheels on an xtr mech!

I gather of the 75% of starters who didn’t finish that most was due to mechanicla failure yet a few (like you) seem to have go through relatively unscathed.

I seriously considered rim brakes for another attempt as you can loosen them off. I could hear my pads grinding when riding up the hills.

MrGreedy

Drac – Moderator
    the midges can be horrific but there’s plans again to control post race

Care to elaborate? This got mentioned in the build up to 2011 and I can’t say I noticed the difference to be honest, I assumed it was a bit of a wind-up or a private joke.

But yes, it’s a great event. I suppose I ought to get my entry in…

Drac

2010 was horrible I’ve never known anything like it and I’m Northumerland born and bred I had over 150 bites per limb. 2011 there was plans of burning barrels but turned out there was no need as they all drowned, yeah there was some but compared to 2010 it was a mere ermmm midge. Early plans are burning barrels again to get ride of them.

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Think I read that some other dude who had the exact same break setup as me used half a set of pads (as did I)…new style xtr (or I guess any of the newer models due to the good disc clearance unlike avids I believe)and aztec sintered pads. If you are heavier on the braking might be worth bedding in a couple of pairs to put in stash bags?

Although a bit overkill I put spare gloves in my drop bags, co2, inner tubes. You risk not being able to get them back at the end so dont put anything valuable in.

If you have someone who loves you enough or you bribe with beer get them to go to Newcastle with kit/spares etc

And if the 100 isn’t enough for you, carry on in to the night… 🙂 http://killerkielder.posterous.com/

Drac

If you mark you bags up well and get there sharp on the Sunday morning you’ll find them, if not they get scrapped. Oh and Newcastleton I guess you mean, yes that’s a good meeting point.

dot
    Free Member

Done all 3 years:
    [list][*]First year did it SS found it tough in wet conditions but enjoyable[/*]
    [*]Second year, felt easier – rode geared bike but mostly due to being dry![/*]
    [*]Last year was bloody ‘orrible due to ‘moist’ conditions got a big gash in tyre sidewall in last 10 miles so a DNF (geared)[/*]

[*]Plan on doing it again this year (singlespeed) [/*][/list]

wenanwhere
    Free Member

haha yes sorry newcastleton, a stop off in the toon for a pint would be a good mid way but a bit out of the route though!

Drac don’t you owe me a pint btw 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

Tried twice, failed twice 🙂

2010: I just wasn’t anywhere near fit enough
    2011: The weather beat me, no pads left after 60 ish miles and fed up

I need to go back but the requirement to register on the Friday evening makes it difficult

Drac

Drac don’t you owe me a pint btw

Do I? Remind me this year and I’ll sort it.

wenanwhere
    Free Member

You said if I finished you’d buy me a pint on the night, in fairness I didn’t come to claim but it was like 1am or something

Drac

Ah right well I do then, 1am I’m sure I would still be up. Catch me this year I’ll try to think to pack a quality beer for you.

christhetall
    Free Member

First attempt last year and got eliminated at 78 miles, going back this year
    Can’t say I enjoyed it – the conditions were grim – but did enjoy the training and feel I have unfinished business. Plus it can’t be as bad, can it…?

As with so many Brake Pads were my downfall – only had to change them once (after 30 miles) but took me 40 minutes. Incompetent I know but they were Avid Juicy’s, had only changed them once before and that was at home, in the dry. Also had chain suck throughout – again incompetent bike setup – grease on my chain.

The queues on the first couple of singletrack climbs were a pain, one descent was plain silly and as to the wall of mud at Newcastleton….

Re Brake Pads – any tips ? Apart from get better at changing them !

will
    Free Member

First time this year. Very much looking forward to it, an event I’ve been wanting to do for a while tbh. Undecided on bike setup, 29er hartail with sus of some sort, but not decided on ss or gears yet!

jonba
    Free Member

Take lots would be my advice. Or find some brakes that don’t wear out. I did hear good things about shimano, as they sit a long way from the rotor. Also BB7 as you can wind the pads right out.

I actually went to the trouble of fitting all the pads pre race, bedding them in and making sure they fitted ok (as elixirs are a pain for chainging pads).

I went through two sets in the first 50miles so decided that I would only change the rears to make sure I got to the finish on my remaining two sets- I got to about 90 miles and rode the last bit pretty much brakeless and jogged the last descent from lonesome pine.

Make sure everything on your bike works. SLight niggles will become mechanicals if it is wet.

Pray for dry weather!

jonny-m
    Free Member

Well I think you may just have put me off doing this one too. Especially if the recent weather carries on. It’s not just the entry fee, camping, fuel and food costs for the weekend but the damage done to the bike could be too much for me to accept.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Montane Kielder 100’ is closed to new replies.