Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Montane Featherlite Velo VS. Endura Pakajak
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

I’m looking for a cheap, packaway windproof/waterproof so my bag isn’t stuffed to bursting point with my proper waterproof.

Does anyone have an opinion on which is the better of the two? The Pakajak is fairly new, so not many reviews about, and the Velo is a well known decent lightweight jacket…..

Cheers

Ricks

Naranjada
    Free Member

Montane Velo packs very small, either in its tennis-ball sized pack or simply folded flat and put in your shorts pocket or backpack, and is very light. It’s a decent windproof but only shower resistant at best.

EDIT: I see there’s an H2O model which ISN’T the one I have so you can probably disregard what I said up there! I have the featherlight which is indeed not at all waterproof.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I’ve got the montane, nice bit of kit and ideal to stick in the pocket or bag in case of a shower. if it pours u will get wet, but it keeps the wind off u so u don’t totally freeze.

not tried the endura, so generally not much help there then

drain

I’ve got the Velo and it’s fine as a showerproof, primarily it’s a windproof. Very handy nonetheless.

To throw another option in the mix, I got the dhb Minima jacket as a last minute purchase before doing JOGLE a couple of weeks ago, and it may be the smartest buy I’ve done in a long time. It packs down to fit into a jersey pocket, is light / airy enough to wear just as a windproof but turned out to be very waterproof (and it certainly got tested!) without being overly sweaty. About the same price / slightly cheaper than the Velo too 🙂

rickon
    Free Member

Hmmm… Minima looks good – they dont have a small in stock though

Stuey01
    Free Member

Altura nite vision flite is worth a look.
    I just got one and it packs down into a little mesh bag that easily fits in a jersey pocket. It is not too boil in the bag, pretty waterproof and has plenty of reflectives (bonus). Available in red, black and high vis yellow.

rickon
    Free Member

Damn, needs to be Racing Snake white 🙂

Stuey01
    Free Member

🙂 They do a white/transparent one for the proper racing snake look, can’t remember what it’s called though.

If you want proper racing snake: Castelli Squadra.

avdave2

If you do go with the velo be aware that the small is just that. I’m only 5’5′ and had to go for a medium, the small was too tight across the shoulders. I use it as my summer carry everywhere jacket and so far so good.

Got mine for £42.50 from cyclestore.co.uk

rickon
    Free Member

When you say you’re 5’5, are you a broad 5’5? as height doesn’t really help with sizing… chest size is how they’re specced, see.

i.e. I’m 5’11, but pretty thin. For reference, my other Montane waterproof, a Superfly XT is a small and is a good fit.

cheers dude

Ricks

Clink

I’ve always found Montane sizing to be generous – at 5’10” medium almost too big for me.

MSP

I find the montane aren’t that breathable compared to many. Its packs small and is good for when you actually don’t expect to wear it but want to have something for emergency’s, but on rides where I expect to need a windproof at points I prefer my pearl izumi one. The montane always seems to end up feeling clammy inside.

rickon
    Free Member

Interesting….

I’m definitely only going to be using it for emergencies, it’ll be for thoses days when you just dont know if it’ll rain or not, and it’s too hot to wear a waterproof all day.

avdave2

It’s interesting to read the comments on the sizing, I wouldn’t say I was broad shouldered and I was within the sizing guidelines for a small based on chest size. The medium is a much better fit but certainly isn’t flapping around. It’s a much slimmer fit than my medium Gill Pro Speed.

I guess not surprisingly you really need to try them on whoever their made by.

matt_outandabout

I have Montane Meteor DT, Dyno softshell and Featherlite smock and they are all ace – snug fit, good length, great hoods and work, well.
    Montane are increasingly impressing me with their kit, so much so that I may buy from them this Autumn for our staff of outdoor instructors instead of our perennial Paramo offerrings.
    6′ ‘broad in the beam’ here and fit a M or Large sweetly here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Montane Featherlite Velo VS. Endura Pakajak’ is closed to new replies.