Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Montane extreme smock
  • neillys75
    Free Member

Anyone got one? What do you think of it? Will I need a large like other montane stuff I have as it always feels tight?

TooTall
    Free Member

Brilliant piece of kit – far superior to Buffalo. Quite close-fitting, but it should be for best effect. No good for riding unless -15!

mc2
    Free Member

Great bit of kit.

They are quite a small fit.

I only ever wear mine with a baselayer under it.

neillys75
    Free Member

I think ill order a large, its for wandering about in up big hills! From all the reviews its like having a fire on you body! Nice and warm!

Pieface

How is it better than buffalo?

Why has buffalo fallen from favour? I own one and hardly wear it, partly because it has to be very cold to justify wearing it and you need to make sure you’ll be wearing it all day as they’re rather bulky. Any advances?

I guess softshells have stolen their niche as they look like more conventional clothing, are lighter and less bulky?

epicyclo

Same question as Pieface.

Do softshells really function better than what they have replaced, because I find I keep reaching for anything but my softshell stuff?

Marko

I’ve got them both. Montane has heavy duty material in elbows etc, but the Buffalo has a massive chest pocket – big enough for a map and food. Other plus is you can send the Buffalo off to Sheffield for any repairs.
    I can never decide, so I wear them alternatively.
    Hth
    Marko

Pieface

IMO the heavy duty reinforcement materials are not needed

chiefgrooveguru

The impression I’ve had is that the Montane is warmer but less well vented and doesn’t come in so many sizes, but is cheaper. Both would be great for this kind of weather!

chiefgrooveguru

16 years of use (to the point that it’s fading and slowly thinning – does this pile ever wear out?) and it’s taken a large metal spike, a bike crash onto tarmac and an exploding garage door to rip the S6. Pertex 6 is much tougher than it looks or feels.

sweepy
    Free Member

Had mine for sixteen years myself coincidentally, Brilliant kit but I have worn it a lot less since I got Paramo

TooTall
    Free Member

Montane is better designed, better thought at the edge of the fabrics (thin fleece instead of pile at the edge – works better in the damp/wet), reinforced arms (if you do more than pose about in them of course), higher collar and much cheaper than a Buffalo. I really like Buffalo, but the Montane version is just like an updated Buffalo. That costs less.

chiefgrooveguru

Is the Extreme smock made of Pertex 6? The only reason I can see for adding reinforcement patches is to protect from ski edges or crampons – but they’re smocks, not salopettes! Thicker outer fabrics will not handle moisture so well.

My Velez is like a more weatherproof but less hot Buffalo. Much more effort to look after though, and I wouldn’t want to abuse it as it’s a respectable casual garment.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I ride in my extreme smock when it’s cold, I find the vents work well enough to control the heat 😉 I also find that although it’s not waterproof you don’t get wet.

freeandsingle
    Free Member

Great bit of gear, can be used above freezing if you use the vents correctly and don’t sweat unduly when you move

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Bombproof piece of kit – needs to be bloody cold though for mtb use

TooTall
    Free Member

The only reason I can see for adding reinforcement patches is to protect from ski edges or crampons – but they’re smocks, not salopettes!

How about climbing in it? The Army guys I know like the reinforced arms for the way they use it too.

amodicumofgnar

Brilliant bit of kit. Compared to buffalo its better designed and definately better value. Since its main use is winter walking / climbing re-enforced sleeves, glove loops, hood and crotch strap as standard are all useful features. Ok maybe not the crotch strap but I’ve not done any ice climbing for a while. Fit is on the close side. Not had any issues with the venting – neck, side zips and pocket do away with most of the heat.

As abouve too hot for all but the harshest winter riding and then why wouldnt you want re-enforcing on the ouside of the forearms and elbows.

neillys75
    Free Member

Cheers for all the comments, I’ll get a large ordered, not sure when it might arrive in this weather! Dug car our at our end, got wife to midwife appointment and dug out again at that end! Then dug the drive out foot and proper ready for next outing! I deserve a new smock!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Montane extreme smock’ is closed to new replies.