Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Montane Alpine Stretch Jacket
  • bennn
    Free Member

Anyone got one? What are they like for riding in?

I’m looking at one online (and tempted) hovering over the buy button, but like some reviews from users (good or bad!) to see what they’re like first as bike jackets.

For reference I tend to run pretty hot as soon as I turn the cranks..

Thanks, Ben.

continuity
    Free Member

If you run hot, why do you want a softshell?

If it’s raining, it isn’t waterproof.

The only appropriate time to wear a softshell like that is when it is very cold and dry. i.e. Snowy. Like… in the alps. Where you might need an “Alpine” jacket.

bennn
    Free Member

Because in the UK, it’s usually fairly cold and wet, but rarely lashing it down when I’m riding. For which I have a waterproof shell.

Edit; my previous softshell was plenty comfy enough, with mesh lined pockets, pit zips and could be unzipped if required etc.

matt_outandabout

I live in my old Montane Dyno.
    Cut is slim, long and long arms.
    Cannot comment on the fabric of the alpine, but Dyno is perfect match for just wind proof enough, just water resistant enough and yet super breathable.

Its my 80% jacket – 80% of the time its great.

bennn
    Free Member

Just what I’m looking for, I usually only ride with a base layer & jacket on. Only I ripped my previous one beyond repair.

continuity
    Free Member

Then try a pertex-pile maybe?

Better suited to our conditions!

bennn
    Free Member

Just had a quick Google, and anything ‘Pertex Pile’ is £100+, which is a bit spendy for me to go riding in and effectively trash 😥

continuity
    Free Member

Pertex/pile refers to a type of garment not a brand.

Rab vapour rise, marmot driclime.

Actually I think you’d probably be best off with a heavy duty windproof – eg a rab alpine. Then just layer under to correct warmth.

bennn
    Free Member

Just had a little look at those two, the Marmot looks like a wind/waterproof shell, and the Rab a thickly insulated outer, maybe wrong though.

I previously had a Montane Pertex smock which I didn’t get on with, I got wet from inside and out!

When you say Rab Alpine, which jacket do you mean, as the ‘Alpine’ only refers to the cut..

Edit; just double checked them both, the Rab looks the better of the two, due to the larger (helmet) hood, and more pockets/ vents. Though still £100+.

continuity
    Free Member

No – it doesn’t!

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/mens-clothing-c1/mens-superlight-shell-windtops-c49/superlight-jackets-c196/alpine-jacket-p1046

There are hundreds of different grades of pertex. Some are woven to make not-very-good-waterproof-shells. Some are windproofs.

Both marmot driclime and rab vapour rise are pretty much identical – a tightly woven but thin shell similar to a breathable windproof attached to a furry liner of varying thickness.

In my opinion, a modern woven softshell, like the alpine stretch – of which I have a few (haglofs, rab, marmot) – are great at shedding snow. They also provide a modicum of windproofness. They can be woven to include say a fleece backer, or not (the alpine stretch is one without). But when dealing with rain and wind, they are no better than a windproof as once they wet out they just absorb all the water. If you wanted to stay warm in wet/mildly cold/windy, a windproof and a merino baselayer would serve you better and weigh about half as much.

Put it this way; what do Pro roadies wear? And why should you be any different off road?

shredder
    Free Member

Just got the one in continuity’s link from Sportspursuit. That one is indeed the lightest of Pertex grades great for a stuff in pack wind breaker/cool evening jacket.

Wouldnt wear that one through autumn to spring even with additional layers underneath, its defeating its purpose.

I think if you could find it at the right price the Rab Vapour rise lite alpine would be good. Little more insulation than the one above but still light enough to work with layering. But size up they (due to the cut) come out small.

This one

chiefgrooveguru

This looks great for riding in. I have an ME Exolite 2 softshell which is a similar fabric. It does a far better job than a pertex windproof at keeping me comfortable when it’s rainy. It’s just as good when it’s windy. The stretch is a good thing when riding. Wicks well and dries fast.

I like pertex, I’m a Buffalo fan, but worn over a base layer or two (as I do with the Exolite) it isn’t even half as good.

hora
    Free Member

The Alpine Stretch might be good for Lakes riding?

I too use my Dyno. Its not waterproof but its great for circa 5degrees-12degrees riding.

Anything 11+degrees and its a Gilet.

The Alpine Stretch wasn’t designed for riding though?

I’ve also got a Montane Event jacket for rain etc. Haven’t needed it yet.

Not impressed with the Montane pertex Atomic I have- sweat/wet more on this inside…

MSP

If you run hot I would recommend the rab ventus

bennn
    Free Member

Mixed reviews then, some saying it looks good.

A couple aging Montane Dyno, or Rab Vapour Rise/Vapour Rise Lite.

tmb467
    Free Member

If it rains the only thing that will keep you dry is a decent she’ll

If it doesn’t rain you need something breathable.

There’s not much cheap that can do waterproof and breathable to the degree a cyclist needs it. And part of the reason why I wouldn’t wear what a roadie does is that the roadie doesn’t come off as much as me

bennn
    Free Member

Same.

There’s a Rab Generator Alpine in Classifieds, anyone use one of those?

Edit; breathable and water resistant is fine, I’ve a proper shell for if it’s pouring.

Ben.

fingerbang
    Free Member

I have one and its become my main biking jacket as I find it really comfy and breathable. The waterproof is fine as well for most rides and it drys quickly.

its very scuff resistant as well ; I came off my road bike and slid along on it but just scuffed the sleeve.

I bought on from gooutdoors for £70 ish and wou8ld buy another one its so good but will wait for a sale.

The collar is great for cold weather as it zips up really far. Don’t be bothered about it not being bike specific. Just means the back doesn’t drop down as far which I don’t find is a real world problem

I say buy one!

bennn
    Free Member

Is this the Montane Alpine Stretch Fingerbang?

Can get one for £55ish delivered, in bright lime..

MadBillMcMad

bookmarked

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Montane Alpine Stretch Jacket’ is closed to new replies.