Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mont Ventoux..road bike or moonter?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve got an invite to stay in a villa near the foot of Mont Ventoux at easter. If push comes to shove and I only have space in the car for one bike, which should it be, road bike or moonter?

mrmo
    Free Member

has to be road bike, you would have to do the road climb, and might as well have the right tool for the job.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Classic road climb for sure, wondering are there any good mountainbike trails there too?

rickmeister

There are loads of MTB trails. On the old form I asked about this and got a load of good info and a fantastic day out. Worth it but what about the weather at Easter, the place is like the moon at the top and even in summer it was bleak…

IGN 1:25, 3140 ET Mont Ventoux.

ourmaninthenorth

Road bike.

Do all three road climbs in a day and join the Madmen of Mont Ventoux (http://www.clubcinglesventoux.org/index.php?lan=en – English info here: http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=6197).

chipps

There is mountain biking there – most of the ‘nooks’ in the switchbacks on the roads have a trail leading off – very fun/sketchy riding on limestone chips. Great fun – but a whole world of hurt dragging a mountain bike up there in the first place.

I’d say ’embrace the skinny tyres’ and go and have some top road riding fun. I spent a few days down there some years ago and loved the road riding there.

miketually
    Free Member

Got to be the road bike.

sofatester
    Free Member

Just shave your legs and be done with it!

mrmo
    Free Member

reading the Pez article, 11 ascents in 1 day 😯

Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

anyone know anything about the dirt climb mentioned in the pezcycling article? I’m going to be down there until early Feb, might see how far up I can get on the mountain bike I’m taking with me, I’m anticipating snow at some stage

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I rode the climb from Bedoin to the top. The route most used by the tour. Bloody hell its steep. There is a 7km section in the middle through the forest at 10%. No hairpins to get your breath back on just a relentless climb. Snow gates were closed above the cafe, but I snuck under and rode to the summit. Snow was 10 feet high but the road had been cleared. Respect to the tour riders, how they have the legs to sprint for finish i’ll never know.

I had about 5 mins at the top before the freezing wind whipped up some icy mist or low cloud. Visibility was nill for the first few ks downhill. I was worried I’d hit another rider coming back up. Cloud cleared at the cafe. Got hot chocolate to thaw out. Its amazing what a 10% climb looks like going the other way.

Top afternoon. I might have a bash at the other two routes up before the end of the week. they are supposed to be easier.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mont Ventoux..road bike or moonter?’ is closed to new replies.