Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Monstercross Niche – 26er 'monstercross' bikes
  • cp

Inspired by the large 26er slick tyre thread

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/using-26-rims-and-fat-tyre-instead-of-700c-rims-and-roady-tyre-on-a-commuter

I’m pondering re-apportioning an old 26er Inbred frame to boy-nursery run/commuter monstercross bike.

Any pics for inspiration or advice to avoid it like the plague?!

docrobster
    Free Member

Having just acquired an old slot dropout inbred frame, which is currently on the turbo with a slick tyre but otherwise standard mtb guise, I’m interested in what I might do with it in the spring so watching this thread…

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I’ve got a sliding dropout steel Voodoo SS that I’ve been tempted to drop-bar, but as it would involve buying new brakes as well it’s on hold as my remit for it was to use it without spending out on it!

surfingobo
    Free Member

I’ve also got a 26 inbred. Once I get round to getting a new hardtail I’m planning to give it a go. I think the geometry works but there’s only one way to really find out!

TiRed

bindun

Raced this at SS European championships and Central League

Look closely and you will see TWO rear cogs, depending on terrain. Fork is for 700c. Weight is 20 lbs. Tyre choice is challenging – basically CX Pros, mine are run tubeless. Bars are Soma Sparrow as I too didn’t want to change levers. Works fine.

Bez

Is that monstercross or is it just skinny tyres and a sweepy but essentially still flat handlebar? 😉

TiRed

It’s a 26er with the only 26er cross tyres available and raced in cross races 😛

I couldn’t justify a new set of brakes and had the 100 mm 25.4 mm stem already.

Bez

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not knocking your lifestyle choices 🙂

I just had monstercross down as “drop bars and fat tyres”, but I can’t keep up with the bandwagons. If it’s a bike it’s all good*.

* apart from the bad ones, obvs

rOcKeTdOg

I just had monstercross down as “drop bars and fat tyres

Proper gravel bike you mean, not a CX bike with a holdall slung under the top tube to carry a picnic

surfingobo
    Free Member

I was thinking drops and 26×2.0 xc tyres

TiRed

I could always put the old tyres back on 😉 . Won’t get me near the top 10 though! Drops are fine too. My “real” cross bike has those – but I actually prefer these off road. I built this before the term as coined. Mud clearance is enormous, as was enviously noted after it’s first Hillingdon outing – killer of RDs par excellence, by a couple of riders pushing their bikes – one after his practice lap 😳 .

cp

Interesting thoughts folks. I think an issue I’m going to have is that the head tube is short and the steerer shortish.. along with the fork only being 420mm AC, I think I’m going to have trouble with the bar height being too low. I might just give it a try though 🙂

warpcow
    Free Member

cp – Member
    Interesting thoughts folks. I think an issue I’m going to have is that the head tube is short and the steerer shortish.. along with the fork only being 420mm AC, I think I’m going to have trouble with the bar height being too low. I might just give it a try though

That’s precisely why I ended up using a 45* stem on my brief experiment. Went back to a flat bar and barends in the end as I just couldn’t get the position right (too low and long on an old Kona).

A steerer extender and something like this would have been better, but I couldn’t be arsed:

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

A part of me wants to buy 58cm https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBNIRM3/nitto-rm-3-gravel-handlebar for the Wazoo, if I could simply clamp the gear shifters and brake levers on the central flat section. 😈

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Monstercross Niche – 26er 'monstercross' bikes’ is closed to new replies.