Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Monstercross – Frame sizing advice and other questions
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

Hi All

I am contemplating building a monstercross and am unsure about frame sizing options as I’ve read that going a size smaller on a 29er frame is better to take into account the length of the top tube and using drop bars.

I’m 6’4″ so normally run a 20″ MTB frame and a 60cm road/cx frame. Would I be better going with a 19″ frame than my normal size to stop me getting stretched out too much?

Also opinions on a Boardman Pro Hardtail 29er as a starting point would be appreciated as Halfords are doing them at 15% off at the moment.

I would combine one of these and my CX bike to get a monster but wondered if they are any good and has anyone else done it.

Any pics would be great

Any suggestions on frame options would also be appreciated

Cheers

Ken

cynic-al
    Free Member

I run a 29er that’s 1-2 sizes too small.

The TT is still 2-3 cm longer than my road bikes but it all works fine with an 8cm stem (and 400mm seat post).

I also run it as a crosser and tour on it, its my cheapest, most versatile and possibly most ridden bike.

There’s prob pics on my flickr, I’m on my phone and CBA looking, link in my profile.

1-shed
    Free Member

Why not buy a frame intended to do that job. Salsa Fargo, Van Dessel WTF, Singular gryphon. I had a VD WTF which rode like a drop bar mtb now ride an all city macho man disc and have all the same kit bar the tyres and it feels more like a CX bike.

Bregante

And because 1shed hasn’t worked out how to post pics of his bike on here yet, I’ll do it for him 8)

It’s not a monstercrosser but it is a looker.

jameso

Why not buy a frame intended to do that job. Salsa Fargo, Van Dessel WTF, Singular gryphon.

Agreed. The issue with sizing down for a shorter TT is that you’ll get a shorter HT too and you’ll probably be looking for a really hi-rise stem to use dirt drops as it is. Personally I don’t think many, if any, std MTBs work with drops but the position and riding style etc we’re happy with varies.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The issue with sizing down for a shorter TT is that you’ll get a shorter HT too and you’ll probably be looking for a really hi-rise stem to use dirt drops as it is. Personally I don’t think many, if any, std MTBs work with drops but the position and riding style etc we’re happy with varies.

Unless you need a “bars in the sky” position that the gravel-racer-mid-life-crisis customers/marketeers are looking for, then as I said above, its fine.

OK you’ll have some seatpost showing, but you won’t be dragging the extra kilo+ around on the frames mentioned- important as monster-crossers are IMO are meant to be light*

*I know the proper definition of one is 35mm – 1.75″ tyres, but I don’t care. See if I care!

jameso

As I said

personally .. the position and riding style etc we’re happy with varies.

‘imho’ it doesn’t work well, it’s not a good mix of compromises, worth considering whether you’re either better off with a lighter CX bike or a more off-road suited bar with the control and braking position it offers. The OP can decide himself since he was asking for opinions on the sizing. There’s a good reason why bikes like the Fargo and Gryphon work so well for many riders, being able to use the drops much of the time is a good thing and that’s where a taller HT helps.

For context Ken, I’m happy riding a std road bike position on-road, or a drop bar CX-rando type of bike with the hoods almost level with the saddle on much longer or mixed-terrain rides.

cynic-al
    Free Member

jameso – Member
    As I said
    personally .. the position and riding style etc we’re happy with varies.
    ‘imho’ it doesn’t work well,

IME it CAN work very well.

What’s your experience, or do you have only an opinion?

People get hung up on so many things, the industry thrives on everyone having the perfect bike for every ride/situation.

ken_shields
    Free Member

The advantage of buying a complete 29er is that I end up with a pile of bits to sell off to off set the cost of the bike

I have a disc braked CX bike (2004 Kona Major Jake) already fitted with Salsa Bell Laps, Ultegra shifters and Hope V twins. Don’t want another CX as I’m happy with that

I don’t want to spend a big pile of cash on a bike I may or may not like. At least starting with an MTB I can go back to an MTB if I don’t like it. If I like it I can splash out on a “proper” monster frame

jameso

Al, I was stating an opinion. I’m not saying you’re wrong personally or that it can’t work well for some.

What’s your experience

Enough to have an opinion on the question posted and cross-over bikes like this in general otherwise I wouldn’t have said anything. Whether that opinion is worth anything is another matter.

ampthill

Just on a practical note I’d some maths on seat post length. I tend to ride with my saddle quite high but I think if I dropped a frame size I’d be struggling to get the seat high enough. In the say height as you

Another option Is to look at the latest Giant cross bikes that are claiming space for 50mm tyres.

ampthill

I meant to say that I’m the same height as you

Nipper99
    Free Member
    firestarter
    Free Member

This felt like a 29er with drops

and this felt like a cx with chunky tyres on

if that makes any sense.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Monstercross – Frame sizing advice and other questions’ is closed to new replies.