Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • monstercross Cross Check advice
  • ollie151
    Free Member

i just bought my crosscheck frame and im interested in putting some fat 45mm tyres on it. but, what wheels do people who have done this use? the only rims i got that can take such wide tyres are on a touring pair i got, and they are really heavy (built for another purpose).

cheers

OCB
    Free Member

I have Mavic A719’s (‘touring’ rims) on both of my my monster-crossers, (one set built on XT hubs, the other built on Surly hubs).

Granted they aren’t the lightest of wheels, but they have proven themselves to be very tough, and I’m running 29 x 2.1’s fine on them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I run 2.3″ tyres on Open Pro rims no problem.

This is one of many areas where much guff is written.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matthewlhome
    Free Member

I have run bontrager 1.8 tyres on shimano r550 wheels no problem, they worked fine but the shape of them is a bit balloon like. Switched to heavy 717s now to allow child carrying duties, the wid rims give a good wide base to the tyres, but not so goo for anything less than 28mm

ollie151
    Free Member

whats the widest tyre you fit on a Crosscheck?

matthewlhome
    Free Member

48mm I believe.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Just checked in the drawer – the tyres are marked as 29×1.8 (44/46). There was space above them when fitted, but close at the sides.

ollie151
    Free Member

matthewlhome , what tyres and wheels are they?

matthewlhome
    Free Member

bontrager jones XR (from a few years ago) and i think the wheels are shimano r550s. the rims are marked as 622-14 ( i think). Wider than an open pro, but still not massive.

thomthumb
    Free Member

mavic tn319s on my vaya

nedrapier

Got Open Pros on SLX on the peregrine. Had 28c gatorskins, 2.0 fat franks and 2.0 Conti Race Kings on them, they’ve all been fine.

jameso

This is one of many areas where much guff is written.

2.3s will fit Open Pros but I wouldn’t be using them at the lower pressures that the wider tyres suit so well.
    19mm rims with 42C here, great on lanes and tracks at 35psi. I’d go wider on both if they fit the fork (not a Cross Check).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘monstercross Cross Check advice’ is closed to new replies.