Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Monster/ Redbull etc – Do you?
  • cheez0
    Free Member

You see these energy drinks for sale everywhere and there must be big money in them as the manufactureres seem to be able to afford to sponsor major sporting events/ teams etc.

But I dont drink them, perhaps because of my fear of getting ‘hooked’ on them, as i have seen with a couple of former workmates, who couldn’t get up in the morning without a can of stinky redbull in their hands.

I often see walking along my local street, first thing in the morning, people sucking on a fag with a can of relentless in their hand. is this a top breakfast?

However, there are days when this kind of pick me up is probably just what i need when i feel knackered. should i dabble?

Do you use these drinks? if so, when? are you hooked? is there a ‘comedown’ crash if you stop? are there alternatives?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

When it’s free?

Also after that massive weekend away when the motorway goes on forever (not a coffee drinker)

The fruity monsters are actually quite drinkable if your in the mood.

Drank a lot out in the mega where it was free mostly and we were doing a lot of riding.

Jamie
    Free Member

is this a top breakfast?

Not really.

should i dabble?

No harm in trying.

Do you use these drinks?

No. They taste like crap (IMHO).

if so, when?

N/A

are you hooked?

N/A

is there a ‘comedown’ crash if you stop?

Probably.

are there alternatives?

Coffee.

nedrapier

Only ever when driving as an emergency drink if feeling drowsy. I try to drink it a quickly as possible, without it touching my teeth. *Gak*

Never noticed a comedown, and I’m definintely not hooked – it’s too nasty!

Definitely drink more coffee than I should, though. That’s what I use for a “pick me up” drink.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with the odd one, I try and drink the sugar free.

Night shifts
    SDW in a day
    Driving to the alps etc.

Chap here at work as a fag, packet of monster munch and a RB for brekkie 😯

maccruiskeen

You see these energy drinks for sale everywhere and there must be big money in them as the manufactureres seem to be able to afford to sponsor major sporting events/ teams etc.

Look redbull up. They are an events company that also sells a drink. They don’t sponsor all those events they run them.

toby1

Red bull, only when mixed with Jeager … Monster, seriously?

I did some a very excited looking child holding 2 cans of that crap in tesco’s the other day – they were with a ‘responsible’ adult, I’d imagine it ended in a sugar and stimulant fueled tantrum shortly after.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I drink them very occassionally just because I kinda like them (as opposed to a can of coke or some-such), but I don’t “use” them for what they’re supposedly marketed as, i.e. as an energy boost/kick.

I put their popularity down to the clever marketing & sponsoring.

They’re fundamentally just a load of sugar and caffeine. Probably not a lot different to a mug of strong sweet coffee.

Drac

Not on it’s own since drinking loads at Mayhem one year as it was readily available and the weather was scorching, plus the people promoting them were very nice to talk to. 😀

Now I can barely stand the taste so only have it in a bomber form for laughs.

As mentioned Red Bull are a PR company they promote the drink with their own labelling, they have very little overheads and the profits are massive. Evidence when marketing does work.

Jamie
    Free Member

Red bull, only when mixed with Jeager … Monster, seriously?

You drink Red Bull & Jägermeister, and have the cojones to question those who drink Monster? 8)

crispo
    Free Member

At university we ran the Ski and Snowboard club and were sponsored by Relentless one year. I remeber drinking 4 x 500ml cans one after the other. Thet really played havoc with me, I got the shakes a bit and then had to run to the toilet before I erupted like Mount Vesuvias! We also used to drink Supermarket own brand energy drinks in vast quantities early in the morning on the way to Ski Races, always got there buzzing!

Nowadays I only occasionally drink red bull. This is either with Jaeger as a JaegerBomb or just have a can of it if i’m doing a big long drive or on a back to back day to night shift, and then thats only because I dont drink Coffee.

I dont mind the taste of it but could never drink it early in the morning anymore, far too sweet.

Keva
    Free Member

absolutely no chance, I’d rather drink petrol.

Jamie
    Free Member

absolutely no chance, I’d rather drink petrol.

….says you wouldn’t.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

I don’t drink it very often, but I love the taste of Red Bull. It’s like liquid sherbert sweeties.

Pieface

petrol is cheaper

Drac

petrol is cheaper

I’m not sure you understood the question.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m not sure you understood the question.

Is the answer Sweden?

joeegg
    Free Member

I see these energy drinks everywhere around here,always thrown out of vehicles into the grass verges.If morons are drinking the stuff then thats good enough for me not to.

Pigface
    Free Member

Have only ever had two cans of RedBull and got really bad headache after each one.

A mate was addicted to Monster 4 or 5 cans a day, then he stopped. He sent me a txt about a month ago whic read something like this: Knackered this morning so bashed a Monster 10 mins later the world came out of my arse, had to jump in a hedge to clean myself up, oh the shame.

Is this a regular occurence with this stuff?

simonbea
    Free Member

Every now and then, Monster Ripper is really nice flavour, not the usual minor change to red bull taste

maccruiskeen

I see these energy drinks everywhere around here,always thrown out of vehicles into the grass verges.If morons are drinking the stuff then thats good enough for me not to.

Write to Mathew Parris and complain 🙂

singlecrack
    Free Member

Used to drink them …relentless mostly. Started occasionally drinking them.. then went to 1 every morning ,then 2 a day some times more …….the more I drank them the more the next day I felt tired and drained so would need the little ‘pick me up’……you can see where this is going …

…..so now I don’t touch them (drink a few coffee’s though :lol:)

uselesshippy
    Free Member

3 cans of monster,
    Then my wee went a funny colour 😯

tomaso
    Free Member

Not since Mountain Mayhem 2001 when I got a couple of cases gratis and over did it. I may as well have been on speed I was so rattled. And could I sleep when I needed to in the evening between laps?

As for Jaegqer bombs I’d rather drink it neat than consumme that vile amphetamines in a can.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That Monster stuff is EVERYWHERE at the moment. They sponsor ANYTHING that moves it seems.

We were at the TT this year, yes, they sponsored that…..

Well, they were giving big cans of it out free, so we grabbed two. I tried one, and by fek that’s the most sickly sweet thing I’ve ever tasted. Absolutely disgusting. I have a sweet tooth but I couldn’t stomach more than 2-3 swigs of it. Mrs PP couldn’t take more than a small taste. Uttery, utterly foul.

DezB
    Free Member

I like Relentless Fruit. Its a nice grapefruity flavour. Only have em if I’ve had a crap night’s sleep and need a boost mid-morning.
    Hooked though? Can you really get hooked on them? I think not.

grum
    Free Member

All the kids who come to our community centre are obsessed with them and one of them drinks about seven cans a day! I’ve only tried a few but they all remind me of those medicine syrups you used to get as a kid. Not for me.

Also, do they still have Taurine in?

cheez0
    Free Member

when i have had a couple of redbulls in the past, they were on nights out, with vodka.

The side effect was that i woke up without a hangover early the next day but then the hangover would kick in mid afternoon, with an accompanying bout of un-characteristic aggressiveness, not violent but definitely more argumentative.

i didn’t like that so stopped with the redbull and upgraded to gin 😀

wrecker
    Free Member

Horrible stuff. Worth forcing one down if you have a stubborn hangover though.

rossi46
    Free Member

I prefer this.

35p a can and does the same thing as Red Bull.

But i’d only ever have just the one and only as a last resort (ie 3pm at work, falling asleep and have 3 more hours to go).

Slogo
    Free Member

I was burning the candle at both ends while on my working visa in australia. I worked the day and partying through the night. I did 2 litres of the stuff in a morning, my stomach turned inside out and man it was awful! i spent the rest of the day cleaning the bilges in a 100m super yacht oh the shame. so glad the skipper and owners weren’t around. Then the next 3 days were awful i had shakes and the worst smelling farts in the world. not good when you share a dorm with 3 other people!

Never never never will i drink an energy drink again. unless its a jagerbomb!

atlaz
    Free Member

Occasionally have a can to perk me up but only if the alternative is crap coffee from a petrol station. I know plenty of people who start the day with that because they “don’t have time for coffee” which seems odd as I know they stop on the way to work to buy the cans.

willard

They have a time and a place. That time is usually late at night when I have a long distance to drive and the place is normally in my car.

I don’t think you could get addicted to them any more than normal coffee or tea, but the big problem I have with them is the sugar content. That actively puts me off the majority of them, so I tend to go for the sugar free alternatives.

xterramac
    Free Member

personally, I love a good “boost”, be it espresso, monster, red bull, blue rat, what ever….
    I tend to keep it to coffee during the week, no more than 5 a day, while im on the road, unless i find a nero’s and then i drop it down as they seem to be that bit stronger?

Weekends, if im doing a DH, a can of monster helps no end in getting your head back in the game and lifting your energy levels, after a mornings practice and push ups… Not convinced on the consentration side of things though as i can never remember much of the track, when it comes to race runs???

emsz
    Free Member

Had an ‘interesting’ v festival a couple of years ago fuelled by RB&V. tend to stay away now. loads of sugar.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Never, and if final persuasion was ever needed, when at a clients premises (who have work on events for both RB & Monster) they moved a pallet of leaking cans – the concrete beneath had turned become extremely friable wherever the drink hadcome into contact with it, crumbling to dust with little effort.

Take a good look at the ingredients – regular use cannot be healthy.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I used to have redbull with vodka as a student. Thats the only time I’ve drank them (and regret it, but not half as much as I regret the amount of alcohol I drank).

I have a feeling that in 15-20 years we’ll be viewing these drink in much the same way we very cigarettes now.

When cigarettes first came out they tried to claim some health benefit, then it went to 1 or 2 are fine etc etc

Give it 20 years and they’ll think selling these things without a warning or to kids massively irresponsible. Im guessing even a small level of consumption can start to lead people down the path to metabolic syndrome, diabeties and probably others.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

while im on the road, unless i find a nero’s and then i drop it down as they seem to be that bit stronger?

Nero’s use double shots of caffeine if that’s what you mean by stronger.

xterramac
    Free Member

Even if you ask for an extra shot!!! 😯 Nero’s it is from now on then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

K

Amused me the other week, MotoGP coverage showed pit crew filling a monster energy drink can with water at the of the race for a rider to drink from. Shows what they think or the main sponsors product.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Monster/ Redbull etc – Do you?’ is closed to new replies.