Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Monster commute (joblesstrack exit content)
  • molgrips
    Free Member

So I got a job in central Bristol for 15 weeks, and I decided to try and bike in to work from Cardiff 4 days a week. 41.3 miles each way.

I am bloody tired, but getting the hang of it slowly. 2 days last week and 2 this week so far.

el_boufador

nutter

I was knackered doing 12 miles each way 4 days a week!

stratobiker
    Free Member

Bloody ‘ell molgrips. Fair play for takin that on! Christ you’ll be fit. 🙂

jonb
    Free Member

Fit or exhausted?

What route, main or back roads.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I wouldn’t push it. You’ll wreck yourself

molgrips
    Free Member

A48 to Chepstow, over the bridge, then country lanes through Olveston to Almondsbury, then down the A38 to work. I have to say though that Bristol is a great place. It’s nicely middle class compared to Cardiff; posh shops, nice birds, and literally hundreds of cyclists. I’ve never seen anything like it – queueing up at lights with six or eight other bikers. Ace 🙂

The idea behind the commute is to a) lose weight, b) get fit and c) save money. The train is £14, god knows what parking would be and both would take 1h15 to 1h30 anyway.

molgrips
    Free Member

I wouldn’t push it. You’ll wreck yourself

Well I’ve got a plan from my coach, and I’m monitoring myself with a power meter so I should be able to tell if I’m going too hard.

JB
    Free Member

Good Man!!! I’ve been riding to work one a week, 40 miles each way… hardest bit is leaving the house at 6am on the morning run!

carlphillips
    Free Member

i’d love to able to ride mine, 31miles door to door but hideous hills all the way and dangerous road for cyclists.

plymouth – torquay

earl_brutus

how long does 40 miles take you to commute? I presume you are on a road bike?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Good luck to you molgrips and good on ya.

molgrips
    Free Member

ardest bit is leaving the house at 6am

That’s what I am most worried about actually – the strain of the early starts. The summer mornings are making it a hell of a lot easier – I don’t think I’d manage in the winter.

My best time so far is about 2h17, worst about 2h37 when I didn’t know how to get through Bristol quickly, and I hadn’t worked out that going through Newport centre is faster than going around the bypass 🙂

And yeah, it’s a road bike, my nice Kona Zing deluxe. Really helps having a carbon frame on the rough lanes after the bridge.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Monster commute (joblesstrack exit content)’ is closed to new replies.