Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • monovision or multifocal contact lenses
  • bruneep

anyone use either? How do you get on with them ok at first or did you have to give it time?

On my 5th set of lenses in as many weeks I just cant get anything that works, tempted to try another optician as the one I’m seeing isn’t inspiring much confidence with her “lets try this or try that attitude”

Or am I expecting too much? Need glasses for reading and close work,distance is fine. However every lens I’ve had I can barely see across a room without everything going blurred, she says I’m above the legal level for driving. I don’t drive with them in now as I dont feel safe.

crewlie

Didn’t get on with multifocals (not sharp enough), but I’ve used mono vision for about 3 years now,and it works pretty well for me. I was very sceptical, I really didn’t think it could work but I’m pleasantly surprised, but I’m the other way round to you. I can see close up fine (without lenses in ) but not distances.
    Took a few days to get used to them, but no longer than that. Thinking back I did have to try a few different pairs before I found the best solution.

Pembo
    Free Member

mono vision works for me. But when I go MBing I wear 2 long distance lenses and it has made a massive difference to my depth of field and allows me to ride much faster (not difficult according to my mates) but I can’t read a map 🙂

bruneep

Anyone else?

wingnuts

Thirty years with single vision lenses of varying types. Always hated glasses as they interfered with an active life. So getting to the condition that my optician described as “receding youth” was difficult. I was wearing lenses for distance and then reading glasses on top of them for close work. I hated it. So we discussed and decided to try multifocal lenses. They are strange and disorientating for a while. The trick is to stop thinking and trying to focus. It will come. However they are not perfect. Due to the way in which you only look through part of the lense for the different focal lengths it means that you don’t get as much light into your eye. This means that in dark conditions reading can (sometimes) still require a backup from glasses.
    In practice I have occasionally gone back to single vision as an emergency backup (on camping or racing trips) and I really miss the multi focals. They make everyday life so much easier.
    With regard to your optician – lenses do take some getting used to and people react differently according to mine. He has said lets try this or that to me as well. Its not as straightforward as glasses. I’d persist if I were you. The benefits far outweigh the negatives.

MadBillMcMad

interesting. I did not know the name – apart from old age.

I did not realise but that is what the optician has done for me.

I am 49, short sighted (-7 ish in both eyes).

With glasses I am starting to run out of nose (do you know what I mean?), with standard contacts I could see distance but could not read a map or the phone & started carrying a pair of +1 specs. That works a treat but is a pain.

He has adjusted one lens by 0.5 & now (most of the time) I can read a map or phone but it is not ideal & for some reason my eyes do not always play ball. I also find that when I get home I want to take the lenses out ASAP. Not sure if this is related or not.

Nobby

I’ve got the latest version of multifocals and find them very good. Optician did up the prescription in each eye by .25 to cancel out the slight drop in sharpness & that’s worked a treat.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘monovision or multifocal contact lenses’ is closed to new replies.