Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Monitoring Components
  • DrDomRob
    Free Member

Haha @ Whippersnapper.

Wwwaswas – it’s in the pile of things to look into, although I fear getting hold of the pigs and monkeys may be the downfall of that idea.

Drac

what you doing here then?

Waiting time whilst I repair my laptop. 🙂

wwaswas

DrRomRob – I’m prepared to compromise on the pigs and the monkeys if you think it’ll help.

Might donkeys and ostriches be a goer?

DrDomRob
    Free Member

wwaswas – I’ll have a look into it.

I’ll start putting together something which defines the requirements, I’ll post it up as soon as possible… probably tomorrow or sometime at the weekend when the missus is back on nightshifts and I can unleash the inner geek without fear of reprisals!

poisonspider
    Free Member

I haven’t read all the thread so I might be getting wrong end of t’stick but, I think there may be some mileage in some form of online community thing where everyone logs there rides (with suitable variables like weather conditions, hardcore XC or light pootle down a railway line etc) but also logs what components and when they are changed/repalced etc. You could also put in a description of the failure mode etc.

Then the clever bit would be for all this info to be analysed to give realtime, real world, genuine reviews or ratings for components. You could then use this info to make informed decisions about upgrades, service intervals etc etc.

I would be interested in something that told me that a (on average) a pair of Avid pads lasts about 20hrs riding in the Peaks in the winter but a pair of Superstar ones last about 15hrs, for example.

njee20
    Free Member

The sample size would have to be vast for that to mean anything though.

poisonspider
    Free Member

Not really, you can get statistical significance from relatively small samples, 10 would probably show some sort of relationship, just with quite a wide tolerance.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

njee20 – You have to start somewhere!!

Poisonspider – it would be quite difficult to understand what the width of the error margin might be since if one rider who drags their brakes puts information in 10 times, and 1 rider who doesn’t only inputs 9 times, then the first rider will hugely affect the spread of data.

However, you could be very cunning and only input the riders average for anyone place, ie although the first rider has done 10 rides, they only enter into the global statistics once, using their average.

In which case the sample size would only be 2.

Anyway, this is for a bit later down the line. Good idea though.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Also, from what has been mentioned so far, it would appear an online application would be more beneficial to people than a standalone application…?

I know Python is used to drive some websites, but I don’t know how effective it is considering the amount of data that MAY be generated adn therefore the size of the database required….

The sample size would have to be vast for that to mean anything though

That’s going to be the biggest problem.
    The shoe data on Fetcheveryone was based on 30 000 runs, I think.
    BikeJournal has currently got nearly 3500 people worldwide logging their rides.
    STW has got 27 people doing the February Endomondo challenge. 🙁

I’ve had another look at BikeJournal and there’s the option to add tyres or chains.
    That’s pretty much what I’m looking for so I think I’ll have a go at cheating a bit and using those categories to enter pedals and wheels.
    In fact, I’ll email them and ask if they can add User Defined components as an option.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Cool,

I am going to carry on with this anyway cause I need to learn the language.

Dom

I think there’s still room for something aimed solely at component monitoring. BikeJournal is more of a training log.
    Being able to import directly from a Garmin or .gpx file would be handy.
    User customisable drop down boxes listing any number of bikes and components and the ability to calculate the total distance of any component between any two dates would be a start.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Hi Guys,

sorry, had a really hectic weekend. Will try and get something up before I head off to Rome on Thursday.

Dom

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Monitoring Components’ is closed to new replies.