Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Moneyweek: end of Britain: we're utterly broke and seriously dooooomed
  • brooess
    Free Member

End of Britain

basic precis: we’re in a massive amount of debt with no way of managing the repayments. When interest rates go up, everything will fall apart.

The graphs are quite scary 😯

Alarmist to sell Moneyweek or sober analysis?

Mods – please can you move to ‘chat’. Sorry!

stumpyjon

We can’t / won’t afford the state people expect, governments have avoided this basic truth for a long time by borrowing to fund our national lifestyle. At some point it will become unsustainable as many individuals have painfully discovered.

grum
    Free Member

We’ve done this before, and the consensus was that it’s a load of scaremongering bollocks. Eg the fact that they show a graph with public debt appearing to grow almost exponentially – but it’s not public debt against GDP so it’s fairly meaningless.

Not that we won’t have to make readjustments but that article is pure marketing BS.

I’ve checked with the editor of MoneyWeek, and yes it is genuinely their production. The reason why it looks different from the rest of their output is because it was written by their marketing department. And that of course gives the clue as to what this is all about. Whether or not they genuinely believe there will be a disastrous collapse is not the point, though to be fair MoneyWeek is generally fairly pessimistic about the UK and has been forecasting a property market collapse for several years now. No, this is all a marketing ploy. They want to scare you into buying a subscription to their magazine…….

I think it is very sad indeed that a respected investment magazine like MoneyWeek is so desperate for business that it is resorting to despicable scaremongering. This bulletin is poorly researched, badly written and presents completely the wrong image. I’m not about to advise anyone what to do with their money, but I can certainly think of much better things to do with mine than subscribe to this rag. This marketing ploy by MoneyWeek is a very, very bad mistake.

http://coppolacomment.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/the-end-of-britain-not-yet.html

We can’t / won’t afford the state people expect

We could afford it, but some people are greedy.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We’ve done this before, it’s scaremongering.

grum
    Free Member

The graphs are quite scary

Check out the graphs adjusted for inflation and GDP on the link I posted. It’s completely dishonest of MoneyWeek to use those graphs the way they do.

kimbers

thats just an advert saying
    ‘the forthcoming fiscal apocalypse is unavoidable, unless you subscribe to 13 issues of moneyweek’

theotherjonv

but surely I’ll then be worse off by the cost of a subscription to moneyweek? No, far better I keep it safe for when the apocalypse comes.

mrmo
    Free Member

but surely I’ll then be worse off by the cost of a subscription to moneyweek? No, far better I keep it safe for when the apocalypse comes.

but money will be worthless and material you can burn (moneyweek) will be barter-able for potatoes.

hora
    Free Member

I stopped reading after the second paragraph.

moneyweek is owned by Agora. A US company:

Agora subsidiary editors have written bestselling books, including:[4]
    Michael Masterson[9]
    Ready, Fire, Aim: Zero to $100 Million in No Time Flat[10]
    Automatic Wealth: The Six Steps to Financial Independence
    The Pledge: Your Master Plan for an Abundant Life
    Automatic Wealth for Grads and Anyone Else Just Starting Out
    Seven Years to Seven Figures: The Fast-Track Plan to Becoming a Millionaire
    Power and Persuasion: How to Command Success in Business and Your Personal Life
    Confessions of a Self-Made Millionaire
    Bill Bonner and Lila Rajiva
    Mobs, Messiahs and Markets
    Alex Green
    The Gone Fishin’ Portfolio
    The Secret to Shelter Island
    Beyond Wealth
    Marc Lichtenfeld[11]
    Get Rich with Dividends
    Karim Rahemtulla and Bill Bonner
    Where in the World Should I Invest: An Insider’s Guide to Making Money around the Globe
    Lee Lowell
    Get Rich with Options; Four Winning Strategies Straight from the Exchange Floor
    Addison Wiggin and Bill Bonner
    Empire of Debt: Rise of an Epic Financial Crisis
    Financial Reckoning Day: Surviving the Soft Depression of the 21st Century
    Addison Wiggin
    Demise of the Dollar: And Why it is Great for Your Investments

Wow some great publications.

DT78
    Free Member

Well I was taken in. But my thoughts were to emigrate rather than buy moneyweek…..

jameso

Well I was taken in. But my thoughts were to emigrate rather than buy moneyweek…..

Yup, come the financial apocalypse I’ll pack my bike bags and go touring.. no loss really )

oliverd1981
    Free Member

On the one hand it’s probably scaremongering, on the other – we’re the first generation in history to have to support two generations of pensioners, so don’t get too optimistic.

aracer
    Free Member

The correct answer to that is clearly to have kids later like we do in my family. Gran was 76 when my oldest was born!

tasteslikeburning
    Free Member

Detroit and some other US cities recently went bankrupt – can’t afford to pay out on pensions and health care. Spain and Greece have unemployment rates approaching 30% and massive public and private debt levels. UK has one of the highest debts to GDP (public + private + financial) in the world.
    You can pretend it’s not a problem and it worn’t affect you but that won’t stop it happening. But there’s not a lot ordinary folks can do except enjoy this level of wealth while they can. zerohedge.com republishes the news stories that the mainstream media outlets prefer not to dwell on.

andyl
    Free Member

thats just an advert saying
    ‘the forthcoming fiscal apocalypse is unavoidable, unless you subscribe to 13 issues of moneyweek’

Do they accept credit cards?

waveydavey
    Free Member

Does this explain why interest rates have been (artificially?) low for a long time?

skellnonch
    Free Member

They did a scaremongering Video a while back, the fall of society, mob rule, death, destruction BUT you could prepare yourself and thus avoid a spiral into the abyss by subscribing to money week….

stumpyjon

We could afford it, but some people are greedy.

Yep there are a surprising number of people who expect others to fund their lifestyle at both ends of the economic spectrum.

retro83
    Free Member

Ah Moneyweek. Predicted over 9,000 of the previous 2 recessions. Cracking record.

ononeorange

Largely cobblers, mis-leading graphs, selective data etc.

The video advert is terrible over-dramatic BS that never actually gets anywhere, too.

aracer
    Free Member

The owners of Moneyweek?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Moneyweek: end of Britain: we're utterly broke and seriously dooooomed’ is closed to new replies.