Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Money spent on "Space" is wasted……….
  • maxtorque

If you think that, take a look at this pic:

Still think it’s a waste of money?? 😉

ds3000
    Free Member

Yes.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

They’re only smiling because they’ve been promised minion stickers

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Who says money is wasted on Space, and why do you think that pic proves otherwise?

prawny

I agree, the whole thing is on 4OD anyway.

Oh ‘Space’ sorry, as you were.

bigh
    Free Member

Very confused as to how that proves anything either way

Harry_the_Spider

That picture says that money spent on airport floor polishing machine is wasted.

maxtorque

you bunch of heartless gits you!! 😀

maccruiskeen

Tim Peake will have got his money’s worth out the scouts is they give him his green astronout badge

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I have no idea a) who says space is a waste of money, and b), what that picture is supposed to demonstrate?

neilwheel
    Free Member

One of them just made a fart noise, it was the girl, that’s all.

maccruiskeen

All that money, time, study and training for a job you have to do wearing overalls.

mos

It’s a funny thing. I do in some ways find space travel a truly inspirational activity, but if in 15 years time we end up with a thousand young adults hell bent on becoming astronauts, then we’re probably going to end up with 999 disappoints.

jekkyl

Opened this thread expecting clever storage solutions. Iz disappoint

oldnpastit

We need to colonize the planets and asteroids. Where else are all the consumers of the future going to live? How will the likes of Google and Apple increase their eps each year unless they create vast megacities in space?

maccruiskeen

It’s a funny thing. I do in some ways find space travel a truly inspirational activity, but if in 15 years time we end up with a thousand young adults hell bent on becoming astronauts, then we’re probably going to end up with 999 disappoints.

Not really. I’d wager there’s a team of at least 1000 people working behind any 1 astronaut. We’ve got a fairly sizeable space industry in the uk (1/4 of satalites launched are uk built) regardless of how many or few of the get to do a space walk. People in space is a very small part of the business

wilburt
    Free Member

I find it strange we are still on this ball of dust arguing about who’s god is the badist and which Audi is the best when theres a whole freakin galaxy out there to explore.

CountZero

No money that is spent adding information to the total sum of human knowledge is ever wasted.

garage-dweller

I find it strange we are still on this ball of dust arguing about who’s god is the badist and which Audi is the best when theres a whole freakin galaxy out there to explore.

Its because we can’t go anywhere decent (i.e. not the moon which is pretty in the right light but otherwise appears to be a big lump of rock) quickly enough in space terms.

seosamh77
    Free Member

if the money spent in space is just to keep a couple of scouts happy, then aye it’s probably a waste. luckily it’s a bit more than that! 😆

mikey74
    Free Member

No money that is spent adding information to the total sum of human knowledge is ever wasted.

This x 186,000 miles per second.

zippykona

We are being charged for 50 sq ft , £1200 a year. That is a waste of money.

garage-dweller

That is very true. You never know when you might actually be able or need to use that knowledge in the future.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I suspect a strong correlation between those who think money spent on space is wasted and brexiters.

joat

Most people just bring tat and STIs back from holiday, Tim’s brought two cute kids.
    Worth it!

innit_gareth
    Free Member

Total waste of money and I’m a remainer. We’d be further to making this planet sustainable with the money spent on this space nonsense.

Knowing what the Kardashians ate for breakfast is a waste of money.

The only good thing about space travel may be when very rich people go up in virgin galactic and realise that we live on a jewel in the cosmos and then put their money, time and influence into saving that jewel.

philxx1975
    Free Member

We’d be further to making this planet sustainable with the money spent on this space nonsense

How much money does it cost to stop the human race breeding, population growth is no sustainable , **** electric cars

jambalaya
    Free Member

Spending on Science is rarely wasted and certainly not in the case of Space

Pook

Yeah they didn’t play any of their hits

http://mosboroughmusicfestival.co.uk/line-up/

MSP

I suspect a strong correlation between those who think money spent on space is wasted and brexiters.

Farage claimed that ESA was a secret EU space program (and as usual claimed it was undemocratic because we hadn’t voted on it.

Despite the fact that it is quite blatantly public and open about it’s activities, is not part of the EU but an agreement between the contributing countries, the UK parliament signed off on the agreement and it is reviewed and renewed every few years (governments of all flavours for many many years, esa was formed in 1975, the UK was a founding member).

MoreCashThanDash

How much of his training is spent perfecting that “Top Gun” walk?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

What!

Farage is wrong?

Call the press!

kayak23

He’s been all over media for months.
    [cynical]They’re just excited about meeting a celeb, not about how a piece of space dust can cure a sore toe or something[/cynical]

andytherocketeer

Pretty sure Tim went in to Space rather than “Space”.

But I can understand some people reasons for the moon landings being “Space” rather than Space.

mikey74
    Free Member

Total waste of money and I’m a remainer. We’d be further to making this planet sustainable with the money spent on this space nonsense.

The only good thing about space travel may be when very rich people go up in virgin galactic and realise that we live on a jewel in the cosmos and then put their money, time and influence into saving that jewel.

Let’s do a list of what is wrong with this little rant:

– Money:

The space sector is now worth £11.3 billion annually to the UK economy. This
    represents about 6.5% of the global space and services market, but we want to
    grow that to around 10% by 2030; boosting the economy to £40 billion a year.

So, the space industry is a contributor to finances, rather than a drain.

– Some of the Benefits to the environment:

1. Solar panel technology.
    2. Insulation technology.
    3. Earth remote monitoring that provides us with an invaluable way of assessing the environmental issues we face.
    4. Images and footage that go global that raise awareness of the beauty, and fragility of our planet.
    5. Global cooperation across political borders.

That’s not knowledge, that’s gossip.

I refer you to item 4 above: This is already happening, thanks to the international space programme.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Did he actually enter Space though? Not sure if it counts when still within Earths gravity?..

Either way, money can go do one – my vote goes to a world wide open budget for Space exploration – and euthanasia for any dullards that disagree.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Space is 0K.

I’ll get my coat.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not sure if it counts when still within Earths gravity?

Earth’s gravity extends a long way out, as does the sun’s. It’s space when it’s outside the atmosphere, which he was (otherwise the ISS would slow down and come out of orbit).

slowoldman

According to Wikipedia:
    There is no firm boundary where outer space begins. However the Kármán line, at an altitude of 100 km (62 mi) above sea level, is conventionally used as the start of outer space in space treaties and for aerospace records keeping.

Earth’s gravity has nothing to do with it. A body in space will always be subject to gravitational forces, even if very weakly.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Can the planet be “sustainable”? What about all the extinction events like comets, mega volcanos and godzillas attacks??

Even if we last them the Earth won’t be habitable in 1 billion years as the sun will blow up.

Not that the Universe is sustainable either, because that’s only going to last 22 billion years.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Money spent on "Space" is wasted……….’ is closed to new replies.