Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Money card for USA trip
  • robbo167
    Free Member

My youngest girl is off to the West Coast of America in 17 days,she needs to transfer money onto a cash card she can use over there…has anyone got any recommendations?
    Thanks

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

We used a Virgin card last holiday. Just load it up and spend as a credit card.
    Didn’t have any issues with it.

robbo167
    Free Member

Cheers,that looks ok…they charge for ATM use though…but like the idea of using a “name” card rather than something off the net.

phinbob

We used a Travelex Cash Passport card on a US trip some years ago.

It worked pretty well.

wonderchump
    Free Member

I’ve used the Travelex card too without any issues, save for one but this will apply to all cash cards.

If your daughter is going to drive then it’s best not to use them to pay for petrol at the pump. The reason being is that some filling stations place an “approval’ transaction on the card of up to $100 (to prevent drive-aways) and this isn’t credited back to the card for a few working days. It’s not normally an issue with credit cards, etc. but we found that the available balance was lower than we expected on a couple of occasions and this is why.

phinbob

Plus they will often ask you to key in your zip code (US post code), and no 90210 won’t work…

keng38
    Free Member

FairFX card was our choice for last years trip.
    You can load it via internet banking and get a second card too.
    In case you lose the first.

cdaimers

I use an Asda card regularly now in the USA and South Africa. It is issued by travelex, only issues have been trying to reload it whilst abroad or their web portal. It seems to be travelex issue not Asda and something to do with computer being out of the country,

Murray

I use FairFx and have reloaded via their app whilst abroad with no problems.

It’s a good point not to use the card for petrol pumps or hotel check in as the auth for maximum amount is only cleared when an advice or clearing record is received (the old practice was auth for $1 but that’s been phased out in the USA and will soon be phased out in Europe).

br
    Free Member

I’m assuming she’ll also have a credit card, saves carrying money plus just like here she can use for everything bar the dollar ‘tips’.

trickydisco
    Free Member

halifax clarity card. Works out cheaper than fairfx and travelex. No charges for using abroad and you normally get a better rate than fairfx/travelex

e.g today clarity: $1.67 to £1. Fairfx :$1.63 to £1

robbo167
    Free Member

Thanks everyone…some good stuff there,shes been looking at Travelex,this gives her a few more options,knew I could rely on STW!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Money card for USA trip’ is closed to new replies.