Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Money back question
  • tyger
    Free Member

I bought a 56 Focus from my local dealer in October. Since then it has broken down (AA call out required) and been in 6 times for engine problems. Just before Christmas I spoke with the salesman that sold it to me saying how unhappy I was and he said he'd try and change it for me in the new year. Today I popped in to see what they might be able to offer me only to be told that to start with they'll be taking £1000 off the price of my car for "usage".
    To be honest I'm thinking I just want my money back now – where do I stand with regards to my consumer rights etc.?
    I'd be grateful for any kind advice you might have.
    Many thanks.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

first port of call citizens advice bureau.

look on interweb for consumer rights and read them carefully and pick relavant points to your case to nail them.

Pretty sure they will get away with a useage fee, depends on how many miles you have done etc?

good luck

Onzadog
    Free Member

what would car rental for that distance/time have been?

tyger
    Free Member

I've done less than a 1000 miles since I bought it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

then I think you'd have s trong case to argue that £1 per mile is a bit steep.

steveh

Have a look at Honestjohn.co.uk there's a lot of information on there about rejecting vehicles.

From what you've said you've got very good grounds to reject it as unsatisfactory for a FULL refund.

Here's the link.
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=43

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Was it from a Ford Dealer and was it a Ford Direct car? If so then ask for your money back or a replacement.

Also when did it first break down and did it go back to the dealer to be fixed?

I've had similar and stood for an hour in the dealership heatedly arguing with the manager whilst the other customers looked on – he gave in eventually and I got money refunded.

Also, be prepared to hand the keys back to them. If you keep the keys and keep using the car you are kind of accepting it…..

Chin out and stay firm.

tyger
    Free Member

Thank you Dr – yes it was Hendy Ford Dealership

andyl46
    Free Member

less than 1000 miles and broken down once and back to the dealer 6 times?

The car is not fit for purpose, and someone selling second hand goods on behalf of a business means the goods must be of reasonable quality and fit for purpose. Your car is neither, and you should get a full refund.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Andyl46 is right.

Deal with them firmly (not rudely) and say you want a refund for the reasons you've detailed above as the car is not of merchantable quality under the sales of goods act.

Be prepared and take the complaint in writing, if they give you jip, leave the letter, the car and the keys and walk away.

It means being without a car, which is a pain in the butt, but if you keep taking it home with you you're just accepting it.

Good luck!

project
    Free Member

Check if it was once a hire or driving school car,sometimes they register them in an individuals name.

Send them a letter or hand d eliver it, saying you reject the vehicle, also contact Ford directly.

tyger
    Free Member

I've contacted Ford directly who basically weren't interested (prob as not a new car) and said it was between me and the Dealer – nice!

Thinking about contacting Trading Standards also.

Philby

The following advice from Citizens Advice may be of use:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_world/consumer_affairs/faq_index_consumer_affairs/faq_consumer_affairs_faulty_car_dealer_refuses_to_help.htm

There's also some links to a number of other useful pages.

Good luck in resolving the problem!

steveh

Write a letter and send it recorded delivery to the dealership saying you reject the car and why. The follow that up with the discussions. It's important to get it in writing to them sooner rather than later.

tyger
    Free Member

Many thanks Philby and steveh

tyger
    Free Member

Okay after some wrangling I've now been offered a 07 Focus Climate 15k mileage that will cost me an extra grand (current car is a 56 Focus Ghia 31k mileage)

Should I accept or am I being done still?

Thanks

cynic-al
    Free Member

check Parkers etc?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Be aware that used car prices are currently rising…..

tyger
    Free Member

It seems like the book price for the Climate is £8k (I paid £7200 for the Ghia)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Money back question’ is closed to new replies.