Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • money at weddings… what's the deal?
  • alpin
    Free Member

The GF and I have a wedding to go to next week.

Longstanding friends of ours that aren’t short of a bob (or should that be euro?) or two. He’s a lawyer, ffs.

Now they’ve asked that they don’t want any gifts, but money. We’ve got them something already, I’m not overly fussed about the 30odd €.

The bit that gets me is people asking/expecting money for tying the knot. I find it a bit cheeky, tbh. Rather than feeling they have to ask for money, how about not spending 20k on one of fanfare? I’d be happy to sit in a beer garden for the afternoon and eat Bratwurst. As it is we’ll be at one of Munich’s most exclusive venues. :-/

I didn’t give money away the last time I went to wedding for the same reason. This time it sounds like the money is to be collected in person by the bride and groom (think it is some sort of Romanian thing). I’m sure they’ll do ok as half the people there drive BMWs, Mercs etc and are there to impress.

So basically, is it bad form not to give and what is the reasoning behind it?

z1ppy

so you (the couple) don’t end up with a load of tat you don’t want or will never use?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Wedding gifts are outdated. They already already live together and own everything they need, don’t they?

They might as well offset the £100 a head you’re costing them by going.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As you note it a cultural thing and not unusual as is the tradition of the bride and groom collecting the money, I think the Chinese pin it on the bride and groom in the traditional lucky red envelope. Some cultures expect to recoup the whole cost of the wedding and maybe more.

The tough part with money is its clear what the value of the gift is. I imagine the cost per head of the wedding is £100 or more, however it’s not “automatic” you have to take that into account. The couple may just want money so they can pool it for a larger purchase, home improvements etc. I appreciate it puts you in a difficult position.

xiphon
    Free Member

I think Greek tradition involves pinning money to the bride and groom too.

footflaps

We are asking our guests to make a donation to one of our chosen Charities rather than bring any gifts. I wouldn’t dream of asking for money.

They might as well offset the £100 a head you’re costing them by going.

And the rest!

xcgb
    Free Member

Yeah my sister is having a wishing well that you put envelopes in presumably with money in! then you get to make a wish……

i guess it makes it anonymous so its not to embarrass people

nealglover
    Free Member

I agree, if they wanted to charge people to attend their wedding they should have just sold tickets.

Asking for money would annoy me too, unless its a tradition (like Hindu weddings shagun gifts for example where the money is more symbolic than an actual way of getting hold of funds)

alpin
    Free Member

Wedding gifts are outdated.

You haven’t seen the socks I’ve bought him…

This is the bit that gets me…. Offsetting the cost of their (extravagant) wedding. And if they are saving for a house then perhaps spunking 20k isn’t the most efficient financial planning.

29erKeith
    Free Member

We’d lived together for 12 years before we go married, a traditional style wedding list just wouldn’t have worked other than to fill already full cupboards with stuff we didn’t really need\want.

We said if anybody wants to give us a gift then something towards our honeymoon would be amazing. Some people gave us £’s some gave us $’s or other currencies (as we did 20 odd countries) some people booked us day trips or hotels so they felt like they were buying a gift\memory. we got a couple of odd gifts too, some good some still in a box in the loft.

My brother did B&Q vouchers to finish working on their house

ads678

I’ve some irish mates, and over there it’s what they do. They get given money but then give the same amount back if the person (who gave it) gets married themselves.

We asked for vouchers when we got married last year. Got loads of new camping gear 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Over the years, I’ve learned not to be at all surprised by just how mercenary folk will get when it comes to what they expect guests to do for their weddings, in terms of stags/hens, presents, staying in hotels, etc etc etc. I just turn a blind eye now and suck it up when all sense of propriety gets thrown out the window. 😐

alfabus
    Free Member

Disney dollars are clearly the solution here:

patriotpro
    Free Member

It’s rude to ask for gifts full-stop.

footflaps

Over the years, I’ve learned not to be at all surprised by just how mercenary folk will get when it comes to what they expect guests to do for their weddings, in terms of stags/hens, presents, staying in hotels, etc etc etc.

+1

We’re providing a coach to/from the wedding venue, so no one need pay for accommodation nor has to drive (unless they want to). The idea being that the cost to the guests, to attend, is absolutely zero (other than their time).

binners

Don’t you just get Hello, Grazia, OK and Singletrack Magazines to get into a bidding war to publish the photographs, to cover the wedding costs and leave you the odd million, or two, for the honeymoon?

molgrips
    Free Member

Awkward.

29erKeith
    Free Member

If we or others who’ve done the honeymoon, voucher or even cash thing I don’t think of it as “asking for a gift” because we expected none and would have still had an amazing day and honeymoon. But if somebody want’s to get us a gift I’d rather guide them to something we want/are going to use no different from a John Lewis style wedding list to be honest really is it? You wouldn’t want to be given 100 identical towels\plates or something would you? and the person buying the gift I’m sure would rather know it went to use, not just got put in a box to gather dust

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

so they are expecting you to fork out for getting to the wedding and have asked for money as a gift? I think people sometimes get incredibly self centred when they get married…I’ve heard of people not speaking to mates cos they won’t fly to Barbados to celebrate with them. FFS.

Just make an excuse, work or something and send them £50 in a card.

Unless you like getting hammered (I don’t) and tapping off with brides maids (no longer for me), then other peoples weddings are just a waste of a good weekend.

I find the best policy is to aways check the post for anything that looks like an invitation and bin it before the Mrs gets home so you don’t miss another weekend due to a ****ing christening in Hemel Hempstead.

br
    Free Member

The GF and I have a wedding to go to next week.

Longstanding friends of ours that aren’t short of a bob (or should that be euro?) or two. He’s a lawyer, ffs.

Funny world now. If my ‘longstanding friends’ were doing the same thing I’d have either:

1 asked them how much, or
    2 told them they were having a laugh

Not:

3 posted it on to the Internet

cinnamon_girl

Bad taste. 😐

andyl
    Free Member

depends if there is bike stuff you need that is reasonable cost.

Otherwise ask for money so you can buy big stuff (carbon frame, forks, wheels etc)

😀

tinman66
    Free Member

I have major issues with the whole idea of wedding lists /presents. In the past they were meant to help the couple who had never lived together to set up home. Now they’re primarily about greed. Don’t even get me started on just giving money…..

When Mrs Tinman and myself tied the knot six months ago we’d already lived together for over six years and had bought and furnished a house. Without bragging we also probably earn more money than most of our friends. There was no way we were going to make a list of things we didn’t really need and then asking people to fork out for them. It just grated on us.

We set up a Just Giving page for a local charity and just asked if people wanted to give us something to make a small donation to the charity. We raised nearly £2500.

You’re getting married, isn’t that enough? Why the hell should I buy you a present?

Rant over

Dolcered

It’s bad form to ask/expect gifts.
    In the unlikely event I have one 🙂 I would request no gifts at all, just the pleasure of them attending. Just my thoughts.

nickjb
    Free Member

29erKeith has it. We tried to tell family that all we wanted for them to attend and enjoy it but they were having none of it and insisted so we asked for a few things and they were much happier. We got stuff we wanted, they got to buy us a gift, which they wanted to do, everyone was happy. We still put on the invite that we didn’t want anything. Close friends and family still bought us something, other people didn’t. If the cash is a tradition thing then I’d just go along with it. It’s part of the fun. Use an envelope if you like.

doris
    Free Member

For a bit of balance, me and my other half are getting married this summer, and as we already have a flat full of stuff and a small child and all the clobber that comes with that we sent out a card with the invite that basically said we weren’t having a wedding list and we didn’t need any gifts, but if people want to give us a gift then a contribution to our honeymoon would be much appreciated. We did this because in our experience a lot of people (our friends and family) are very generous and actually want to give something, so this way they can if they want to and if not, no bother just come and have a fun day out.

Are we mercenary? i don’t think so, we are getting married in some woods and everyone is camping to keep the costs down.

Iain

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

traditionally most couples dont pay for the wedding, or not all of it, the bill is usually settled by parents, so the gift you give is to the bride and groom and isnt usually anything very much to do with the event.

The gift is uaully towards the couple to help them get started in life, thus the wedding lists used to have toasters etc… the idea was you helped them set up home… these days many couple have lived in sin for some time so such items are already in the house, so now they ask for cash to help towards something else. One couple I know needed a new central heating system, so they said this on the invite and people put miney into a fund to pay for it.

I had a Greek wedding and we did the money dance, frankly it is a fantastic idea and I commend it to the world!

EDIT: We didnt get much choice and they might not, we said to our parents we dont want a big do, we’re not asking for a big do, they slapped it down and wanted a grand huge wedding, it was Greek tradition.

OP MTFU and do the right thing 😉

julianwilson
    Free Member

My parents got married very Catholically in France the motherland in the early 70’s, and there was a bit in the reception when the guests tucked money into mum’s garter. 😆

Don’t see a problem myself: think of it as a lucky dip wedding list in multiple unknown shops.

footflaps

the guests tucked money into mum the stripper’s garter

Sure you’re not confusing the wedding with the stag do?

martinhutch

If it’s not a UK wedding, why view it through the prism of UK wedding culture? It sounds like it’s the done thing in Romanian culture, and TBH, it saves you the bother of choosing a present, and will be probably appreciated more than a set of John Lewis ladles (especially if he’s a lawyer..)

Give them what you would have spent, and enjoy the day.

jambalaya
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member
    Bad taste.

Totally depends upon the culture and in many cultures not giving a cash gift, and a material one at least equal to the per head cost of the wedding, is bad taste.

A traditional UK wedding the bride’s family pay for the wedding and the gift list is designed to give the couple a head start for life together including things they probably couldn’t afford.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Our group of friends has had a good approach to this. We’ve always pooled all the cash gifts and kept it anonymous. That way people can give as much or as little as they can afford at the time and no obligation to give anything. The couple get a big wodge of notes (traditionally we tried to do it all in fivers in a miniature leather bag) that’s actually enough to do something with – custom has been to say what the intention is. One couple put it towards a camper van….

timc
    Free Member

I like the people who ask for a charity donation if they already have everything they need.

cvilla

Sounds like a tradition in Germany; such as getting married in May. A similar thing happened at German wedding we went to years ago, only DM not Euros, we did not know adn so gave British tradional stuff, Worcester China!
    When we saw this some DM notes had been gifted in different ways, such as using paper notes to make fans or origami, so over to you to be inventive!

found on t’internet “Often immediately after the wedding, the best man will steal the bride. While he can hide her wherever he wants, often he takes her to a pub and they drink champagne together until the groom finds them. Fortunately for the bride and best man, the groom has to pay for all the drinks they ordered.”
    So maybe the money is for ransom!

Enjoy the party:)

allthepies
    Free Member

Ask them if they take Amex.

McHamish
    Free Member

In some cultures giving money is expected as it’s good luck.

Chinese will give ung pao (little red envelopes)…we got red envelopes from my Wife’s aunts and uncles in exchange for a cup of tea during the tea ceremony. It seemed like a good deal to me.

We then had to give money to the children at the wedding.

My older brother was a bit peeved as he had to give us money, which we then gave to my younger brother. It was quite comical seeing my 29 yr old 6’+ 15st younger brother sat in a line with a bunch of 6 year olds waiting for their red envelopes.

zilog6128

I agree, if they wanted to charge people to attend their wedding they should have just sold tickets.

And if they are saving for a house then perhaps spunking 20k isn’t the most efficient financial planning.

+1

As you note it a cultural thing and not unusual as is the tradition of the bride and groom collecting the money

The world would be a much more peaceful place without “cultural things”, so bollocks to that I say.

nickjb
    Free Member

The world would be a much more peaceful place without “cultural things”, so bollocks to that I say

Like weddings? If you don’t like it, don’t go. It’s a party there will be merriment and “cultural things”

zilog6128

Not sure you understand the OP’s dilemma. They want to go to their friends’ wedding but would prefer to give a gift rather than money that the couple have “demanded” but don’t need. Doesn’t sound like “if you don’t like it, don’t go” is an option.

konabunny
    Free Member

It absolutely is an option.

As it is we’ll be at one of Munich’s most exclusive venues…the money is to be collected in person by the bride and groom (think it is some sort of Romanian thing). I’m sure they’ll do ok as half the people there drive BMWs, Mercs etc and are there to impress.

1) it’s not uncommon to give cash as a wedding gift in loads of Balkan cultures. OP sounds as if this has been explained to him. If you don’t like it and don’t want to participate – don’t go.

2) for lots of people, the wedding is one of a handful of events not just for those directly involved but the whole family and can affect their social standing for life. if you’d prefer to be at a beer hall instead – don’t go.

3) putting on weddings is expensive. you should aim to give roughly as much as your plate costs at the venue. if you don’t like it – don’t go.

4) they don’t want your John Lewis toaster or your tat hanging around the house only to be binned, unused, three years later. you’ve been told what the couple want as a gift. if you don’t want to give it – don’t go.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘money at weddings… what's the deal?’ is closed to new replies.