• This topic has 10 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by rhid.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mondraker Kaiser and budget DH bikes
  • rhid

I was just browsing the pinkbike classifieds for a budget DH bike (not that I would buy one. Def not…) and I came across a Mondraker Kaiser. I don’t really know much about them but it was in my price range so I did a bit of googling on it to find geometry etc. Can anyone confirm whether it only comes in 1 size? Its a 2011 model apparently and google is being a bit bad with details!

Also another bike I came across, which I had never heard of and again google is loathed to tell me about, is the UMF Duncan. I believe UMF is United Meridia Freeriders but I have never heard of this before. Anyone know anything about these?

Hypothetically I was looking at a few giant Glories, A Cove Shocker and a divinci Wilson. All good prices. All very tempting. All completely uneccessary…..or are they!

grahamt1980

Go for a shocker. I got mine off pinkbike too.
    I thought the bloke i bought it from was going to cry

rhid

The shocker looks very good plus it would be very convenient to buy it as the seller is relatively local! Its between that and a Glory which is a little bit further away.

At my budget I think anything I get would require a bit of attention but I don’t mind that. I am still not sure if I just really want another DH bike or will actually use it more than my last one!!

I_Ache
    Free Member

I too would hypothetically like a bargain DH bike but at the moment I can’t look past a new Status.

I don’t ‘need’ one and if I had one it would probably only get used about 10 times a year but I really, really want one.

rhid

The status looks great but I set my budget way low and found a few options. I even found a decent looking Kona Stab in small for £500. For that price it is a contender…….

grahamt1980

I guess that is the big issue really. I bought my shocker knowing that it wouldn’t get used a huge amount but it is worth every penny when i do use it properly.
    They are all pretty solid bikes for riding but buying cheap has the advantage of you not being so bothered when you crash

rhid

Those are my thoughts exactly. I don’t want to ruin bits on my good trail bike so spending 500-650 on a proper dh bike for occasional use almost makes sense. I’m a bit spoilt too as I’m north Wales based so have Blaenau and nant g on my doorstep. Oh god I’m doing a great job of talking myself into this!!

rhid

GrahamT – what size Shocker did you get? The one I am looking at is medium. I’m 5’6 and prefer a longer bike. All the details I can find on line suggest a TT of around 23″ (585mm) for the Shocker. Does this sound about right?

The only problem I can see getting a new bike is that an existing one will have to go!!

grahamt1980

I’m 6 ft and on a medium. Spent a while talking to the cove guys in the north van shop when we were over there and they said a large would be more stable at speed and in corners but the medium would be more fun. So i went for the medium. They have a really short top tube so would think a medium would be spot on.
    And the shocker at antur is amazing fun

rhid

Nice one, that’s for the advice!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mondraker Kaiser and budget DH bikes’ is closed to new replies.