Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Mondraker help
  • willharrop
    Free Member

Can anyone help explain how to get these bolts out and what tool is required I just can’t get them out, is it from the inside or outside and which direction?

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve had similar in the past on other bikes and they have been a male and female connection . One bolt does up into the other. So it’s hold both at the same time and undo. They might be tight due to threadlock compound and or age.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Try some boiling water if they’re tight, may have be threadlocked.

willharrop
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll give the water a go, the ones on the outside seem to be very soft!

bruneep

Had similar bolts on my Nicolia bearing, they seemed to made of some sort of cheese.

pigyn
    Free Member

You are likely trying to turn it the one way. Both sides of that is one bolt, so to undo it using the outside socket turn it clockwise as you are looking at it.

ticsmon

The black bit is the nut.
    better explained in this photo

theblackmount
    Free Member

It’s a normal rh thread – put an Allen key on both sides and unscrew anti clockwise from the capped head side. What he said basically..

It’s a shit design – you’ll need to thread lock everything when you re assemble as they’ll all undo themselves otherwise. Once that black steel insert starts moving in the frame it quickly ovalises the soft cast seat of the ali frame and then you’re dealing with a shagged out mess.

chrispo
    Free Member

Undo anticlockwise from the outside

willharrop
    Free Member

Can turn the outside without them rounding off!

willharrop
    Free Member

*Can’t

GaVgAs
    Free Member

If youve rounded the Bolt, your next option would be a Torx socket thats a good tight fit, hammer it in fully, also apply a bit of heat with a heat gun until its hot,or try a lots of hot water, use gentle force until you feel it turn.

If this fails your looking at drilling it out, but be very carefull not to damage the frame. HTH good luck

chrispo
    Free Member

Sorry I thought it was a which one/way to turn question. If it’s jammed then follow above advice.

(I assume you’ve tried turning the inside clockwise? Or both inside and outside at once?)

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Have this frame and I had this same problem and realised I was just being stupid! Because there is an allen key head on both the inside and outside of the bolt I thought you needed a key on both ends.

You simply need to put an allen key into the end facing out (so that bit you are pointing a)t and turn it anti clockwise, the oval shaped nut will stay in place in the frame and the bolt will undo. DO NOT put an allen key in both ends! The two heads are the same bolt so you won’t move it!

If it helps explain I can go take a video of me unscrewing mine so you understand for sure?

tomaso
    Free Member

Use a torq bit to hammer into the bolt head but don’t sheer it off and leave hardened steel stuck in the head as it makes drilling it out very very hard…And yes I have done this…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Mondraker help’ is closed to new replies.