Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Mondraker Headset Agony
  • jay1357
    Free Member

After much research I’m none the wiser, hence my post.

I’m in dire need of a new headset to fit my Mondraker Foxy R 2011.

It’s a tapered headset with a set of non-tapered old Pike forks (1 1/8th steerer I belive).

If anyone could point me in the right direction of what headset I should be looking for it would be much appreciated!

Cheers
    Jamie

chakaping
    Free Member

I think it’s a 1/18in integral top and 1.5 integral bottom cup, so that’d be items 2 and E on the Hope chart…

Hope headset chart

I’ll double check later that it’s not integrated though.

You’ll also need the HS136 on that chart.

chakaping
    Free Member

Just had a butcher’s, and yes it is as I suggested, if you’re still around

jay1357
    Free Member

Thanks a bunch! Apologies for the late (very late) reply, but after your advice I’m now getting it fitted this weekend!

RustyMac

If you are fitting 1 1/8 forks in it you will need one of these too

http://www.biketart.com/153801/products/hope-crown-race-reducer.aspx?origin=pla?kwd=&gclid=CPb1vI7Vmb0CFaQfwwod-bIAvw

the above part essentially make the lower section of the steerer tube if your 1 1/8 forks larger to accept the 1.5 crown race.

jay1357
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply, I’m just replacing the headset (the steerer is currently 1 1/8) in theory this should already be in place?

Excuse the mechanical knowledge of a wooden spoon!

RustyMac

You are correct in assuming the steerer is already in place and this does not need to change however the crown race (bit that goes on the steerer tube and contacts the bearings inside the headset is unique for each manufacturer of headset)for Hope headset’s they only produce 2 crown races 1 that is for 1 1/8 steerer’s & berings and a second that is for 1.5 steerer’s & bearings. They do not produce a crown race that will allow you to directly put a 1 1/8 steerer into a 1.5 headset.

That is where the adapter I linked to above comes in.

I would suggest partially removing the forks from the bike to have a look at the lower crown race that is fitted. If it looks like the one on the left in the link below you will need the adapter above.

http://www.solidbikes.de/en/product/8?info=1228&xe854b=e4a085c3b3ccbab8b5f8d26e7f98e369

If you are getting it done in a shop give them a call and have a chat, they may have got this part in for you already knowing you will need it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Mondraker Headset Agony’ is closed to new replies.