Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 53 plate Mondeo TDCI approaching 100k miles – what needs doing?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Does it need anything big – no cambelt is there? Rear suspension bushes (i think) are clunking as are the front wheel bearings – costly jobs?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

No Campbell, they are chain driven.

My father in law paid £140 for rear bushes but I think that was main dealer.

Not sure on anything else

steveh

It's not the suspension bushes that tend to go that go but those that hold the rear sub frame on to the chassis. Any good dealer will remove the old bushes and fit new ones to the frame, ford will see you a whole new assembly.

Brake fluid if you've not had it done, every 2 years for that. Get the wheel bearings checked if they're noisy.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Anything engine wise steve?

zokes
    Free Member

Just wait until it either eats its turbo or starts thinking (and only thinking) it needs new injectors.

Hopefully for you, mine was a friday afternooner…

racing_ralph
    Free Member

bollox forgot about the turbo!!

steveh

Nope nothing special, just service it when it's due. turbos and injectors are known problems with tdci's but they are with all newer high pressure injection diesel engines to be honest These are no worse than any others.

timber

From memory, the service print-out that came with mine was mostly regular service stuff at 100k, 120k or there abouts it had clutch and turbo, now at 160k and fine

and yes, chain driven

spooky_b329

The estate doesn't have the same subframe issues as the hatch. EGR can cause niggly running faults at all mileages, easy but messy to unbolt and clean out with a toothbrush and clutch cleaner.

hora
    Free Member

New seat covers for the customers? 8)

boblo
    Free Member

tdci? is that the 2.0? If so, IIRC correctly it is a cam belt at 100k or 10 years.

I have that injun in a Focus. So far DMF, Clutch and now EGR (I think). Looking forward to the turbo going pfffft next. 🙁

racing_ralph
    Free Member

boblo 2.0 tdci zetec 130bhp

Solo
    Free Member

Turbo will go on any car. Its only a matter of when, and that can be greatly influenced by the user…Alternatively, get it changed out for a replacement. However, you have to consider that cost against the cost of the vehicle, etc, etc.

Over 180K now in my 53 2.0 TDCi, they are CHAIN driven, so again, with regular oil changes (I do mine every 5K) it should just keep going.
    Smaller TDCi engines are belt driven.

I don't drive my car hard now, as its mileage is high, but everything works fine, just can't fault it for what it is.

Will get another, or a focus, when I can afford to change.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

reassuring to hear. How much is a turbo?

zokes
    Free Member

Looking forward to the turbo going pfffft next.

Mind didn't go with a pffft, more a bang, lots of smoke everywhere – filled the bottom of the Ogwen Valley with smoke. Not sure who was more surprised, me, or the guy I'd just booted it to overtake!

That little lot cost me £900, the best from a lot of quotes, but that was because it went so badly they could't part-ex it to be reconditioned. It never really ran perfectly after than, then the injector problems started. Then Ebay got rid of it for me…

boblo
    Free Member

Injectors? £250 per IIRC? Not had that pleasure yet. I'm working from memory on the cambelt so could easily have misread the book on the 1.6 vs 1.8 vs 2.0 TDCI's. If they are chain driven on the 2.0l, at least that's one financial pleasure I'll be able to forego. just the turbo and injectors to look forwards to then…

Assuming the Focus and Modog share engines this might help:

Praps the 2.0 TDCI in my 06 Focus is different from the 2.0 in the '53 Mondog referred to above. Honest John suggests petrols are chain and diesels belt which is also my recollection.

Solo
    Free Member

I looked into turbo costs about 18 months ago, IIRC a replacement was about £400, think that was exchange.

I had visited the turbo technics site and spoke to them.

Theres a trade supplying demand for refurbished Turbos, like I posted earlier, one has only to consider that cost against the value to them of the car, and whether anything else costly might fail soon.

You don't want it turning into a money-pit, obviously 😉

Chain drive for the cam was one of the largest factors in deciding to get my first MK2 mondeo Diesel, and that was about 5 years ago, haven't looked back since.

I just change the oil regularly, and fix whatever needs fixing, when it needs it, but with my latest one, nothing really changes, I just refuel it and keep driving.

Ford test for 150K, so after that, you're on your own, but steer a sensible course, and they're good.

177K in my last one, 180K plus with the current one.

🙂

steveh

Boblo I think you might find that the tdci in your focus is a 1.8 not a 2.0. The 2.0 is chain driven, the 1.8 is not.

boblo
    Free Member

@steveh errrm thanks for that. I'm not that much of a divvy, I know what engine size I bought 🙂 …. it's about 36" long x 24" wide x 30" deep :->

Naaah, it's a 2.0l alright, I'm just not convinced about the chain/belt debate. It's in with the menders in a week or so to sort the EGR (or whatever is the latest problem) and I'll get them to reconfirm. Not that it's an issue for me, the b@stard thing will be someone elses problem soon if it carries on misbehaving….

racing_ralph
    Free Member

boblo is yours a new shape one?

Solo
    Free Member

I'm just not convinced about the chain/belt debate

Well, I don't know about anyone else here, but tomorrow when I go to work, I'll have to use my pass card, and if has FORD written on the back !.

Smaller engines have cambelts, we've just acquired a 1.6 fusion TDCi, and its a cambelt driven cam, to be changed at 90K.

I wouldn't put it past Ford to want to change all their engines to belt driven cams, eventually, but my 53 plate 2.0 TDCi is chain drive, no debate about it.

😉

boblo
    Free Member

@rr. well newish shape. I'm referring to an '06 Focus 2.0L TDCI which shares the same engine as the Mondog?

@solo. Ok, OK. I'm sorry I'm not doubting your word or the validity of your Ford pass. I've just got this nagging memory of something in the book about belt changes. It's probably referring to the 1.6 or 1.8. Could you not slip a turbo and/or EGR into your satchel please when passing the parts dept, might save a few quid 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘53 plate Mondeo TDCI approaching 100k miles – what needs doing?’ is closed to new replies.