• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by cb.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Mondeo estate, retro fit roof rails??
  • votchy
    Free Member

on the latest shape mondy estate (07 on) is it a feasible option to get the factory fit roof rails retro fitted? Has anyone, or know anyone that has, done this and if so, rough costs, pitfalls etc. i know it would entail a lot of trim removal and the need to cut holes in the roof but I need to explore the practicalities as the second hand market of vehicles with the roof rails and the 2.0TDCi engine that fall within my budget without 60k+ miles on the clock amounts to…….0

surfer
    Free Member

Do you need the “rails” as oppose to bars? or do you just need the rails to attach the bars too?

Couldnt you just buy Thule “feet” I am sure they make them for all models.

MartynS

I asked question 1 of my local Ford dealer about a year ago ( I was looking for an estate with roof rails but most didn’t have them fitted). I can’t remember exactly the cost of the after market fit but it was in the order of £800.00. From memory the parts were about £300 and the fitting about £500.00. I was amazed that the cost to retrofit them was many times more than the charge for having them fitted as part of a new car. I gave up on the idea and eventually bought a hatchback rather than the estate.
    Not certain on question 2 but I think that they have to fit in the door apertures. On my hatchback there is a fixing point above all four of the door apertures for the front and rear bars, I don’t see what they could fasten to if you tried to fix them further back.

found this on a ford forum..

IainAhh
    Free Member

When I bought a focus estate a number of years ago. It was 6 months old and had no roof rails. I asked if they could be added and they had no problem with getting them fitted. This was from a ford garage though.
    I don’t remember the cost but I am sure you could get it done.

ac282

My parents bought a pre-reg monedo estate last year and got the garage to throw in roof rails and fitting as part of the sale. I think it was a relatively big job involving removing roof lining, cutting holes in the roof, checking for water tightness afterwards etc.

The garage moaned about it as they didn’t know what it involved when they did the deal. Afterwards they said they would have charged £1000+ to do the job separately with customer labour rates.

Cougar

On my hatchback there is a fixing point above all four of the door apertures for the front and rear bars

I’ve got the same hatchback, and can confirm that Thule feet mate with holes in the sills. ‘s what I ended up doing after a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I can’t use a rear mounted rack as I’m not allowed to fit a towbar and the parts of the tailgate that would be load-bearing are made out of trifle.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Do it Retro fitness is cool!

cb

I’ve just got the same estate – and no apertures for Thule feet as was the case in my previous generation hatchback. Sure Thule do footpacks but no idea how they fit on.

If OP is looking for an auto estate then I know a garage that has one with rails already on, 36k on the clock.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Mondeo estate, retro fit roof rails??’ is closed to new replies.