Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mondeo and bike transportation
  • stu170
    Free Member

Just been out with the Mrs and have bought ourselves a 59 plate Mondeo, I’ve always been bike in the car kinda bloke. But she ain’t too keen as this will mostly be her car day to day. I know I can get 2 in the back no bother, but what is the best way of out the back. Don’t think it has gutter for roof rack, its a hatchback and I ride a fatty, and no tow bar fitted. So what’s the best rear rack for it? Googling suggests saris bones, to transport 2 maybe 3 bikes

teesoo

We have 58 plate Mondeo hatch and have roof bars that clamp onto the roof just above the doors and I can attach a bike rack to that. That said, I generally just put the bikes in the car and use an old blanket to protect the interior (my mrs uses ours most of the time too).

phildb
    Free Member

Have a look at fitted bootliners. You can get waterproof ones that should keep it looking nice and clean. Hatchbag

twistedpencil

59 sweet deo, roof rack with clamps to roof, no gutter, was okay but got a tow bar fitted last year and use a tow bar rack. Mainly mtb goes in boot with wheels off, use carpet underlay to protect frame and interior. Though three kids mean the interior is trashed

Edit – lost half my post, knackered from racing, stick it in the boot and protect the interior.

nemesis
    Free Member

Mk4 Mondeos don’t take a rear, boot mounted rack – a key part of the boot/hatch is made of plastic and won’t (reliably) take the load.

I’ve got Halfords Exodus roof bars on mine which work well. There’s a hole in each door frame (at the top) for roof racks to lock onto.

Kamakazie

What about a Seasucker?
    Gets great reviews and they do 2 & 3 bike versions.
    I’m quite tempted for my Civic but don’t really need to ever carry more than 2 people with bikes so that has plenty of room.

momo

I’ve got a 60 plate estate without roof rails, use Thule wing bars which attach above the doors, but if it’s just me I’ll chuck it in the back with the front wheel off. Use one of these to keep the interior clean with an old blanket underneath to stop any sharp bits digging in. I usually remove the nds pedal too.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I used boot liner to protect bikes (interior 2nd).

Me and pal would drive to Wales with all the gear in the back (folded seats).

Used the rear seat belts to keep the bikes steady without the front wheels on.

blitz

I’ve been using my saris bones 3 on my 08 plate Mondeo. Been to south of France and back and various smaller trips without issue. I had no idea there was a suggestion it wouldn’t take the load but it’s been fine despite my ignorance.

I put the two top straps on the boot where it hinges (straps need to be quite long and need to be positioned to avoid the rear wiper), two on the sides of the boot and then the bottom two, I attach together (in a sort of ‘V’) to a metal loop in the centre under the bumper. I can’t picture if this is part of a tow bar that’s under there or not though? Once it’s all pulled tight, it doesn’t feel like it’s going to go anywhere.

I guess the issue is the plastic bumper? I wouldn’t attach the bottom straps just to that. This metal bit underneath though seems a solid enough anchor point. It’s seems fine but maybe I’ve just been lucky?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fit a tow bar? Massive choice of decent racks then

smogmonster

I’d recommend the Seasucker. I use a Mini Bomber, and it’s solid as a rock when in use, and takes all of about 40 seconds to install. They really are very good, and it means no God awful rack to ruin the cars looks… If you care about that kind of thing.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mondeo and bike transportation’ is closed to new replies.